Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2002, 07:46 AM   #11
Davros
Takhisis Follower

From the press :

Rivaldo faces ban after faking injury

AFP - Brazilian star Rivaldo could face a severe ban and a fine after faking an injury that led to Turkey's Hakan Unsal get sent off in the closing minutes of Monday's Brazil-Turkey World Cup match.

The Barcelona player collapsed at the corner flag clutching his head after Unsal kicked the ball at his his leg. Korean referee promptly showed Unsal the red card as Rivaldo rolled in agony.

FIFA's disciplinary committee will study a video of the incident and is expected to give a ruling shortly, according to FIFA spokesman Keith Cooper.

Before the World Cup began players were warned that referees had been ordered to clamp down on cheating.

"In the last World Cup it was the tackle from behind, this time our target is simulation," explained George Cumming, head of the referees commission.

After the match Rivaldo admitted he had feigned injury.

"Obviously I exaggerated the incident for the guy to be sent off," he said.

"The ball hit my hand and my leg. It didn't hit me in the face but that kind of attitude (kicking the ball against an opponent) must not be allowed on the pitch. He deserved to have a red card."

Well well well - let's see if justice prevails
Old 06-04-2002, 07:46 AM   #12
GokuZool
Lord Ao

If it adds some "flare" to the game...well..
also..
it's Brazil..what do you expect

I kind of agree with both options..
I think that Rivaldo and Hakan Unsal should of both recieved a yellow card. Because Unsal hit the ball at him in the first place and Rivaldo faked it so he at least deserves a yellow. Everyone saw that he was playacting..why didn't the ref?
Old 06-04-2002, 07:53 AM   #13
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
south american players do that a lot, it's their nature. I know that in countries like holland and england it's not appreciated, not even by your teammates.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:32 AM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
south american players do that a lot, it's their nature.
Don't know if I like the way this comment was phrased, johnny. Sounds just a little bit racist to me. Maybe it would have been better to say: "South American players have shown a tendency to playact to win penalties".

This way you're focusing on the act, rather than a race of people who you claim do it.

Besides, I've seen just as much of this in the Premier League, Primera Liga, the Bundesliga and the Serie A. It is a GLOBAL thing, not just something restricted to South Americans.

Old 06-04-2002, 09:09 AM   #15
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I dont neccassarily see it as racist memoch. For example most pro fighters from japan or russia will not fake a hit to the groin or overact it but if a american is brushed there he is often taught by his coach to play it for all its worth and double over in mock agony. Its just the way a certain countrys athletes are coached. Of course some people are just whiners

[ 06-04-2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: caleb ]
Old 06-04-2002, 09:13 AM   #16
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

all I can say is that some people feel that they must win at all cost.Also , if they didnt have it on film would people still think he was acting or would they be angry that another player kicked a ball at his face? It seems like its only cheating IF you get caught.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:20 AM   #17
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

playacting is part of the game, but Rivaldo is so bad at acting it out that it was too obvious.

I'm a footballer myself, and the coach has taught us to win at all cost. even playacting if we have to.

[ 06-04-2002, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 06-04-2002, 09:23 AM   #18
Davros
Takhisis Follower

At the biggest sporting spectacular in the world, with cameras at every conceivable angle and an audience in the billions, why would he believe he could get away with it??? I will adjust your last sentence to reflect my thoughts. It's cheating, not "only cheating". In the forum in which he was playing there was never going to be any IF about getting caught.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:33 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
I dont neccassarily see it as racist memoch. For example most pro fighters from japan or russia will not fake a hit to the groin or overact it but if a american is brushed there he is often taught by his coach to play it for all its worth and double over in mock agony. Its just the way a certain countrys athletes are coached. Of course some people are just whiners
I don't think it was intentional by Johnny, he's a good guy...it was just the "it's their nature" part that caught my attention. I'm happy to say my piece and leave it at that - I don't want this thread to go off topic as I'm quite curious about people's opinions on this. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2002, 09:35 AM   #20
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:

and the coach has taught us to win at all cost. even playacting if we have to.
Seeeeeeeee seeeeeeeeee [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]