Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2003, 08:32 AM   #1
quietman1920

Hi. I'm new to NWN and just figured out how to play in online games. Let me ask some questions now, so that if I jump into a game you are in, I don't accidentally upset people.

If I join a game, I should say 'hi', right? How do I do that if you're no where near me?

If you're in mid battle, you're busy (given). Should I venture out & about to try to join you, or hang by the Tyr portal, hoping you show up and that I can teleport back with you?

Whats the politest way to initiate trade between players? (Keep in mind that one of the reasons this game was created was so that people can be free from SPAM like "Perfect Buriza, 6 SOJ" and "Selling for Thor's Codpiece of Constriction: +20 to Rage, +30 Highpitched Shriek")

Basically, can someone who has gamed on NWN for a bit please type out the Do's vs Don'ts for NWN online play?
Old 01-13-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman1920:

Hi. I'm new to NWN and just figured out how to play in online games. Let me ask some questions now, so that if I jump into a game you are in, I don't accidentally upset people.
Hello, and welcome to Ironworks!

Quote:
If I join a game, I should say 'hi', right? How do I do that if you're no where near me?
Even if nobody is near you...the message you tpe will appear in the dialog box at the bottom of the screen. If people play like I do, they will be watching that dialog box frequently to see if they have any allies joining.

Quote:
If you're in mid battle, you're busy (given). Should I venture out & about to try to join you, or hang by the Tyr portal, hoping you show up and that I can teleport back with you?
People that just hang around are easily identified as newbies, or people that may not have any idea what they are doing, etc. If you join a game, you have right to wander about, and help others. Prove to them that they can trust you, and that you are not there to ruin the game...but to add to the fun.

Quote:
Whats the politest way to initiate trade between players? (Keep in mind that one of the reasons this game was created was so that people can be free from SPAM like "Perfect Buriza, 6 SOJ" and "Selling for Thor's Codpiece of Constriction: +20 to Rage, +30 Highpitched Shriek")
Er...well...I dunno about all that, or what you are really asking here...but the way I trade is that I just write in the dialog box that I am going to drop some stuff for everybody to look through and see if they want. If they want to give me something, or let me have a chance to pilfer through their odd items, then so be it. I am not picky, and usually do not need another's help.

Quote:
Basically, can someone who has gamed on NWN for a bit please type out the Do's vs Don'ts for NWN online play?
If you REALLY wanna get a great gaming experience from your first days of Multi-gaming...you should join a guild or clan from this board that play together as a respected group. You will know the players on a more personal level, come to learn their strengths and weaknesses, and a trust of each other will be evident where it is not when you just log onto whatever game may be for access in the world. I personally enjoy closed-game sessions with my friends tons more than with strangers. Be watching or ask around and see if anybody has a spot for you. Glad to have you with us, here at IW!
Old 01-13-2003, 04:07 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Larry is SO polite [img]smile.gif[/img] Wish the mods on other forums were like the ones here in IW .
Old 01-14-2003, 06:47 AM   #4
Grungi
Banned User

you mean not like the powerhungry, arrogant, idiotic despots you tend to find on some forums? [img]smile.gif[/img] thankfully this one aint like that, a rare find indeed.
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:27 AM   #5
quietman1920

Larry, you're OK. Thank you!!! I DO like this board and I hope you don't mind me posting here. But I have a confession. I was playing at 11:30pm the other night and I heard the wife say from the other room "Aren't you coming to bed, Dear? You do have to work tomorrow..." What that generally means is that the Addiction has begun (and possibly I'm contagious).

Last night I joined one or two games at random and I noticed that in some games I could choose my built character (tremble ye mortals at level 5) but in others, I had to start from scratch. Also, some games stripped me of items. {note: if you are a sorcerer and you end up in a mod where all magic casting items, spells, and resistant items are stripped from you, as well as crossbow bolts, you just may find life very short. Likewise if you start a new character from scratch and are surrounded by 3 goblins from the start.} I know, the best way is to join a group. The thing is, my gaming time is 'catch as catch can', so its not fair to the other more dedicated players.

So, I guess I should get to a question. Will server games let you use your self built characters (if you join blind) or will only non server games? Is it possible to create a world that is a treasure trove to get your character richer faster? (Hey, Everyone wants that nice +3 sword; its just that the price is kinda steep.) Yes, I'm just as greedy as some of the characters in the basic game; I like to think of it as 'being true to the character's alignment'.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:17 AM   #6
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

There are quite a few "trainer" type programmes available on download sites that will let you build a character to whatever level you want. Likewise, you can find small modules designed as repositories for legal (and manufactured) equipment. As an alternative, if an ignoramous like me can make a room and stock it with items, then just about anyone can

As for multi games. if you have a look in-game, you will see that if you create a multi game, you will be asked to select various parameters such as the enforcement of legal characters and equipment and whether or not local characters will be allowed.

Hope this helps

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:59 AM   #7
quietman1920

Cool!!! Thank You!!!! I guess all those Rich Mods explain all those passworded games, but then again I know there will be One More when I get off work.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:20 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
you mean not like the powerhungry, arrogant, idiotic despots you tend to find on some forums? thankfully this one aint like that, a rare find indeed
Hell yeah. The mods here are cool, no power trips, non intrusive and actually friendly (this being something that is missing on alot of forums - simple, friendly moderators you can actually have a laugh with).
I mean some mods on other forums have their heads literally stuck up their ass...its the internet for gods sake, were all here seeking info. and help and this is all. Life is too short.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
Grungi
Banned User

ziroc is good too, actually replies when you email him, but although most of the mods are good admin, theres definately one who isnt.
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:15 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Quietman! I've only played multiplay NWN a few times, but there are some great modules out there! When you get up there in levels (like way past level five where I tried to start! LOL ) you might try the Undermountain mod that Ziroc hosts. It's really incredible graphics! Some really nice guys guarded my poor fifth level bard one night and showed me through several levels. It was fantastic and I'm working on building up a character to take back in!

You can check the NWN online lists for games that are good for newcomers too. Some say they don't allow players to kill other players which is definitely a PLUS when you're just starting out in multiplay online!