Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2002, 05:57 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

First, I will explain my situation, then I will tell you what help I need.

I have been trying to roleplay an evil game with as low a reputation as possible, and my character is a Kensei. So, first I went to get Viconia and then Korgan. I needed a thief, so I took the annoying gnome. Then I went to get my stronghold while my reputation was still over 3. On my way to the Stronghold I got the enconter with the poisoned harper, but I took the dialog choice to ignore him, since I didn't care about him. I got my stronghold and then booted the gnome and Nalia.

I went back to town, and decided I needed a lockpicker, so I went to get Haer'Dalis. I got him, but DOH! he does not have lockpick. I kept him, since his mood was dark enough for my party. I recruited Yoshimo as my thief. I was at around 3 reputation, so I had no problem with them. Then I did the kidnapping quest. After I ransomed the noblewomen, my reputation droped. Haer'Dalis didn't like that, so he left my party. Obviously, I was not about to let him leave with my stuff. Me and Korgan showed him what happen to deserter... Well, it seem Yoshimo was not happy with that either. We gave him the same lesson. So, we thought we could use a mage. Knock work as well as lockpick. We went to get Edwin, but he was not there. It seem that since we ignored the poisoned harper, we missed the quest.

We seem to be having problem getting decoy....err.... friends. We killed Valygar, Cernd didn't seem to like the fact that we poisoned the holy groove, so we had to kill him too. Mazzy didn't seem to like that either, since when we went into her home she attacked us. She is dead to now. The other night we got drunk and killed everyone in the Cooper Coronet, including Anomen. Minsc too, I think. I was to drunk to remember...

Ok, my question is, is it possible to create a character and add him to a single player game? I was thinking about creating an evil mage/thief, but I am not sure how I could do that exactly. I have Shadowkeeper and Near infinity, as well as some other TeamBG programs like infinity talker and kit editor.
I would prefer a way to add the character on a map, so that I can recuit him, but directly adding the character in my party would do for now.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:04 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Unfortunately, no, you couldn't add another user-created character to a single player game (unless someone knows some sneaky trick that I don't). You could always CLUA another version of one of the game NPC's and then use ShadowKeeper to alter that person's alignment.
I suppose that editing an area such as the Copper Coronet would work, since you could have a user-defined NPC standing there; however, I don't edit areas so I can't say how successful that might be.

[img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] Edwin has nothing to do with the poisoned Harper. Try going to speak with Renal Bloodscalp. (Renal? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] Did his parents choose that or did he name himself? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] )

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 07:41 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I assume that you can add character in a single player game, since poeple do it in MOD. So, you think I would need to edit an area to do that? Do you know of any Website or Forum where I could find tutorials/info on this?

How exactly do I CLUA a character? I never used the CLUA console to add or remove characters/monsters.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:55 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Your first couple of questions are ones to which I will readily admit that I don't know the answer. You might begin with TeamBG or Fortress Vaskez.

Find and edit the file "baldur.ini" in your Baldur's Gate directory. Under the "Game Options" section add the line "Cheats=1"; this will activate the CLUAConsole. Use CTRL + SPACE to open the console and type CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("xxxxxx"); where xxxxxx = the name of the creature you want (such as "Edwin12" for one version of Edwin). I hope some of this info helps.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: Azred ]

Old 02-22-2002, 08:04 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

So... I could use Near Infinity to add a character to the game database, and then use the Clua Console to add him to my team... Cool

I am now looking at all the info in the character's database. First I think I will create a new kit for the character.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:28 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

That's the spirit! [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] Make sure to keep everyone here informed of your progress.

Old 02-22-2002, 11:29 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, I was able to make a character, but it is not perfect yet. I didn't know how to create a new character file, so I made a copy of Yoshimo's file and edited it. I was able to get new name, skills, kit, stats, items, biography. I also changed the text you get when you talk to him.

But for some reason, you still get some yoshimo random talk. Like when he ask you how you got into adventuring. I renamed the file. I also changed all the script that had anything to do with yoshimo, but I still get those.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:06 AM   #8
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

there's three relatively easy ways you can get a new party member. make sure you have cheats enabled by adding the line "Debug Mode=1" under [Program Options] in your baldur.ini file.

1. put the mouse over any creature in the game and hit control-Q. voila, instant NPC. you can then change their stats in SK. be careful though as some will have override scripts that might make them leave or attack you under certain conditions.

2. use winbiff or infinity explorer to extract a .cre file to your override folder. you can then use SK to alter it, then cheat it in by typing "CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("soandso").

3. copy a saved game from your "save" folder into your "mpsave" folder. start a multiplayer game and load it. you can then create new npc's. save that game, then do the reverse and copy the game from mpsave to save and restart your single player game.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:38 AM   #9
StormCast
Dungeon Master

quote:
Originally posted by Amergin:
3. copy a saved game from your "save" folder into your "mpsave" folder. start a multiplayer game and load it. you can then create new npc's. save that game, then do the reverse and copy the game from mpsave to save and restart your single player game.

That was a smart one... that should work too, the only bad thing is that u dont get dialoges or quests from self made npc's :/
Three Rings for the elven kings under the sky,<br />Seven for the dvarf lords in their halls of stone,<br />Nine for mortal men doomed to die,<br />And One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,<br />In the lands of Mordor where the shadows lie.<p>One Ring to rule them all,<br />One Ring to find them,<br />One ring to bring them all,<br />And in the darkness bind them.<br />In the lands of Mordor where the shadows lie.<p><br />StormCast
StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:49 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I knew that I could move a folder from multiplayer to single player to get more characters, but I have two problem with this method. I want to create a character I can recruit, I am trying to learn how to edit the game. I also don't know what will happen to my romance if I move the save game from single player to multiplayer to add more characters.

This is what I did to crete my character:

I loaded Near Infinity. I went in the .cre part. I selected the yoshimo10.cre and then clicked export. I saved it as ThiefE.cre in my override folder. I went in near infinity again and changed the attributes, item, picture, color, made him an Assasin, changed the dialog you get when you talk to him to the one you get when you talk to an user created character in multiplayer game, and changed all script that had anything to do with yoshimo or had yoshimo in the name.

Then I went into a Dialog.tlk editor, and added some more stingref: One for the name of the character and one for his bio. I then went back again in Near Infinity to change the old stringref for the new one.

But for some reason I still get some yoshimo random talk. I guess I will have to restart using an npc I am sure has no text assiciated with it, like maybe a Shadow Thief.

What I would really like to know is how to Create a new .cre file. Making a copy and then editing it don't seem to work well.