Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

The HD started freezing again 3 times yesterday, and just when I woke up...

I guess with the server running the HD non-stop, and me running programs just wore it out... I just gotta figure out WHICH drive it is. I have C-G drives (2 partitions too) so It'll take a few days to narrow this down.

Also may do a CPU and ram burn in test to see if its ram or CPU issues...

So don't freak if the server is down. This should be fixed by Monday. I may have to ask for donations thiscoming month though [img]smile.gif[/img]

SUCKS! And checking drives takes SOOO long...

G Drive is ok.. I think it's the C and D drive. Last week that was the drive that had a few errors that were fixed via chkdsk /f. And get this, when I rebooted after the fix, Windows XP validation came up and said my copy of windows XP was not validated! WTF? I own it.. but I ran it, and it validated.. weird.... so i believe it's the C: and D:. which is 80g..

[ 07-14-2006, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh dear! Well, it does get alot of use, I suppose, so it's not surprising something is smoked by now!

Let us know how the search and fix process goes. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeh, before I ran a website and server, I never had a HD issue or failure. I guess it's the constant use of it.. OR the new HD's just suck [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, in any case, a 200gig drive is like 109 bucks on newegg.. and it's SATA! so thats cool..

Old 07-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Z, I'm glad to hear it is a SATA! What HDs do you currently have? Have you run a memtest yet on the RAM?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Zebodog

You'd be surprised at what most manufactures rate their drives for. Most won't even cover their drives if they've been used in a server application unless the drive is specifically for enterprise use.

When that whole IBM 120GXP business hit the fan, everyone was questioning warranties. At that time most of the big names IBM, Seagate, WD, Maxtor and Fujitsu didn't recommend a power on time of over 350 hours (give a take a few) a month. That boils down to 11 or 12 hours a day.

Not sure what the new technology is giving these days, but I have a 5GB, 15GB, 60GB, 200GB and 400GB drive all from WD, with the 5GB about 7 years old and still running strong.

Most say a 5400rpm is fine for a server, so you could probably save a few bucks.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Haven't done any burn in tests yet.. will do them tomorrow night.

I have 1 80gig and 1 160gig and 1 60gig.. So I gotta find out which is dying.. (And all are FULL).

WOW.. they have 500GIG drives now! NICE! [img]smile.gif[/img] We are close to 'consumer' terabyte drives! About time... I know terabyte drives have been around for years, but they were huge, and cost $1000's...

I am looking for nothing less than a 200gig 7200rpm drive SATA ($109 which is cheeeeaap) and I need it. But I would also love to have one with 16mb of cache, but that costs more..

If I had money to blow, I'd buy 2 10,000rpm Sata raptors.. heh.. EFU would be butter smooth. And I could edit video like a mofo! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Zebodog

500 GB? ... check this out...750GB

http://www.seagate.com/products/ente...racuda_es.html
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

NICE! It's $409 bucks though [img]smile.gif[/img] And is too hot to even TOUCH?! WOW... that is bad. even with fans and spacing..

I don't want anything above 200gig.. I mean, if you had a failure, you would cry. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thank god I have never had a 'dead' drive. I always had time to back it up or image the drive via slave.. (Ghost rocks)

But *IF* I had a dead drive, I would find the EXACT same model, on ebay or something, buy it, open both up, and swap out the platters (VERY carefully in a 100% clean plastic covered box) and change them out... but only if I HAD to.. it's hard. but it works..

Old 07-16-2006, 01:24 AM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Strewth! while Z man gets the hard drive sorted out may I reccomend to everyone when you level up to exit and enter again so as to 'save' the latest character stats . Over the last 5 days or so I have had the server crash a few times and it has cost me about 3 levels

I'll try and donate something at the end of the month to help Ziroc

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:03 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

EXCELLENT info Wellard. When you level, log out, and come back to save. It SEEMS to crash at 4-9am (when I wake up, and come in, it's frozen for the last few days). but only did it 2 times today..

Backing up stuff now. Will take 19 DVD's.. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]