Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 AM   #1
Zebodog

Here's the question...

I have the Power DVD 5.0 OEM codec on my PC, no 5.1 support. I play my DVDs with WMP10 using AC3 codec. I have the option to expand stereo turned off, and it plays through all 6 channels, so am I getting true 5.1 surround sound?
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:03 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Kindof sometimes.
Basically, if the DVD supports it, yes you'll get it. If it doesn't, WMP will try to emulate it somehow.

EDIT: It's worth noting that most DVDs do support 5.1 - if it's burnt from something you've downloaded, it might not (because of bandwidth/draconianfairuse restrictions), but otherwise it should. If it's something you've bought or hired, it will probably advertise it on the back.

[ 06-11-2005, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hehehehehe...... Why am I not suprised you posted first Lennen_cook?

Yes I think WMPlayer does support large speakers, but not surround sound
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebodog:
Here's the question...

I have the Power DVD 5.0 OEM codec on my PC, no 5.1 support. I play my DVDs with WMP10 using AC3 codec. I have the option to expand stereo turned off, and it plays through all 6 channels, so am I getting true 5.1 surround sound?
WTF did you just write?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Smiley

Quote:
Originally posted by Bithron:
quote:
Here's the question...

WTF did you just write? [/QUOTE]I second that there question.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Agreed I have no clue. I am only a turn the power on and hope it works kinds guy. I hope everything worked out for ya.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Copied from my PowerDVD User's Guide and "about" pages.

Audio
Supports 8-channel sound cards and output on up to 8 discrete audio channels. (*)

Certified Dolby Virtual Speaker technology allows you to experience virtual surround sound through 2 speakers. (*)

CLMEI (CyberLink Multi-channel Environment Impression) technology converts stereo sound to a multiple-channel output. Music and Movie modes are provided for your preference. (*)

TruSurroundXT(tm) Headphone, based on SRS TruSurroundXT technology, provides an optimized headphone environment. It features TruSurround, Dialog Clarity Enhancement, and TruBass technologies that bring virtual surround and virtual bass experiences to your headphones. (*)

Time Stretch, a pitch handling technology, permits audio playback from 0.5x to 2x speed without pitch distortion.

24/96 LPCM Direct Output supports 24bit/96kHz LPCM audio output with crisper, clearer sound. To enable this feature, you should have a sound card that supports 24bit/96kHz audio output.

Note (*): Full multi-channel DTS/Dolby Digital, Dolby Virtual Speaker, CLMEI and TruSurroundXT Headphone features are optional and may not be available in your version of PowerDVD.

=================================================

Also, look at this comparison chart I found that compares the different versions of five and six.

http://www.softwarecasa.com/pprod/212202compare.htm
Old 06-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Copied from my PowerDVD User's Guide and "about" pages.

Audio
Supports 8-channel sound cards and output on up to 8 discrete audio channels. (*)

Certified Dolby Virtual Speaker technology allows you to experience virtual surround sound through 2 speakers. (*)

CLMEI (CyberLink Multi-channel Environment Impression) technology converts stereo sound to a multiple-channel output. Music and Movie modes are provided for your preference. (*)

TruSurroundXT(tm) Headphone, based on SRS TruSurroundXT technology, provides an optimized headphone environment. It features TruSurround, Dialog Clarity Enhancement, and TruBass technologies that bring virtual surround and virtual bass experiences to your headphones. (*)

Time Stretch, a pitch handling technology, permits audio playback from 0.5x to 2x speed without pitch distortion.

24/96 LPCM Direct Output supports 24bit/96kHz LPCM audio output with crisper, clearer sound. To enable this feature, you should have a sound card that supports 24bit/96kHz audio output.

Note (*): Full multi-channel DTS/Dolby Digital, Dolby Virtual Speaker, CLMEI and TruSurroundXT Headphone features are optional and may not be available in your version of PowerDVD.

=================================================

Also, look at this comparison chart I found that compares the different versions of five and six.

http://www.softwarecasa.com/pprod/212202compare.htm
That's good info, but I think what Zebodog is trying to ask is if he can get true 5.1 sound out of Windows Media Player 10 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Zebodog, unfortuanantly I highly doubt you are, you will probably get virtual surround sound, which seems to just put the voices through the rear speakers and the main rest through the other speakers (from my experiance)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

*overload, overload!!!!*
Old 08-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Here's the question...
so am I getting true 5.1 surround sound?
No. You are getting 'expanded' 2 channel sound into 'multi-channel' audio. Sorry to ruin your day.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote