Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 09:40 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Whats a good way to use them when you first get them, because of their low amount of HP and their small amount of spells. Every time I try and use one, he/she dies almost right at the beginning of a battle! Any ideas/suggestions??
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:54 PM   #2
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

I always make sure my mage has a bow or missile skill and use that in the
beginning. The mage really doesn't become much until the Vale or so. By then
you should start accessing level 3 spells like web that can be useful when your
fighters are under free action. They can also use Melf's acid arrow against
trolls, along with any fire spells.

I try to make my mages multi-class, usually mage/fighter or mage/thief. You'll
get a little more out of them. Other than that, I think you're right. The mage
doesn't become real strong until later in the game and even then they never
become as powerful as they do in Baldurs Gate II.

You may need to wait, before casting any spells, until the creature is
within range. You never want your mage to be the lead or closest character
to the enemy.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
Vassago
Manshoon

Keep them in the back and loaded w/ missle weapons. That is one reason why I don't use mages. I like the Druid because he gets summon spells, heal spells and he's pretty tough. Mine is currently equiped w/ the Spear of Ash or something like that. I bought it from Colan in Kudalhar. Believe me, in battles, he can hold his own.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:55 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I use a pure Necromancer and a Bard for all my arcane needs. They are not really that weak in the beginning. I admit that they have very little spell slots at the start, but they can still rely on Slings until they gain higher levels. Chromatic Orb is invaluable at the start, aiding your party by disabling the enemy.

Once you start accessing stuff that increase your spell slots though( Ring of Wizardry anyone?), you will start finding it hard to run out of spells before the battle is over. I am assuming that you rest after each battle though, otherwise yes, you will still run out of spells after 3-4 battles.

My Necromancer uses a Dagger at high levels because there is a Dagger that increases your number of spell slots. Not that he enters melee, because I always keep him at the back.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 02:33 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Sir Goulum,
I would suggest starting as a fighter and dualing over to mage after leveling a while. This will give you some extra hp and (if you think ahead, spend skill points wisely, and dual over at the right point) give your mage lots of extra proficiency in a non-spell combat skill. IIRC, the "sweet spots" for dualing over are after your fighter makes level 5, 9 or 13. If you are mostly concerned with getting a few extra hp, just go to 5. If you are patient, and want an uber mage-warrior that can cast blur on herself and then wade in as a tank with a 4-point proficiency in a melee weapon, then waiting until your fighter levels 13 to dual over might be the course for you.

I started out just thinking that 5 levels would be good, but have gotten greedy: I am doing a fighter to cleric at 13, a cleric to fighter at 9, a fighter to mage at 13, and a fighter to mage that I haven't decided on (9 or 13).

You need to think ahead at character creation, to make sure that your character will have excellent attributes as a mage and still qualify to start life as a fighter. The nice thing about dualing like this is that your mage will level very quickly until (s)he is 1/2 of a level behind where (s)he would have been had you done straight single class; because you get so much more expo in, say, the Vale, than you do in Easthaven.

I hope this helps.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 12:36 PM   #6
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

i would suggest you to be sure you get Contics ring of Wizardry. doubles all of your first and second level spells that you can cast. (nothing like 6 chromatic orbs at your side)you can get that in Wyrms tooth by the way
Old 09-30-2002, 02:10 PM   #7
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Hi Sir G. My Illusionist was pretty much just sucking up experience points from the rest of the party at the beginning, but then she started to bloom and come into her own. Near the end of the game, she was the one saving the party with monster summoning spells, well timed magic missles, etc.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 12:24 PM   #8
B1ade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Definitely, dual-classing in terms of mages is the way to go (I also had a mage that seemed to keep dying every moment they were in combat). Alternatively, learn magic missile and armour spells as soon as possible, which is easy as I think they are both level one. Magic missile means they can be useful while staying back and the armour spell keeps them alive long enough for them to heal after combat.

Either way, it's a good idea to keep someone like that going - as said by Keraptisdm, they really come in useful later on.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:14 PM   #9
Roboghost
Manshoon

I believe the book basically states someplace that a retinue of fighter types should accompany the mage. This is the hint that they are not SUPPOSED to fight...except as a last stand. I set the script to have the mage poke 'um with a weapon in case I'm busy doing something else in the heat of battle, but otherwise--they run like hell.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:25 PM   #10
SirWillow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As most of them have said, there is no way that your mage should be up in the thick of the battle. With no armor (meaning high AC and easy to hit) and low hit points, they're bait- especially at low levels.

My mages always start off slinging bullets, with an occaisional spell thrown in, until they are high enough levels to cast consistently. And it's always from the back of the party behind a nice line of defenders.

About the only time you'll ever find one of my mages actually swinging a weapon is in the case of my dualed fighter mages with a ton of hitpoints and good fighting skills from before they became a mage. And I'll usually load them with as much AC reducing things designed for a mage as I can- after making sure my first two low-AC tanks can't use the items. But even in those cases it's spells first, arrows second (he's a master archer), then hand to hand last.

All my other mages- the monsters get close, they back off and stay away. Then once they've got some distance they start blasting again.