Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2003, 08:40 AM   #21
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Not that cold, provided your marriage is for business purposes rather than 'love'. The concept of marrying for love is a lot newer than you think. The idea only caught on as viable in 'Western' culture within the past century or so(with arguably negative results for wealth distribution as a whole), and it's still largely unadopted by those living under Islamic law. In the Malaysian cases referred to here the divorce would more likely be in the context of ending a business contract with a different family than giving your sweetheart the cold shoulder.

'Your famiy's property and influence is no longer essential to the furthered prosperity of mine. I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you'.

Doesn't sound that cold really.
[img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] You need a big serving of true love Hierophant [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-28-2003, 09:11 AM   #22
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
I appreciate the quote, Chewbaca, but something stated in priciple is vastly difference sometimes from practice. I think that is the situation here, just as it had been the situation in "Christian countries." Paul said, there is neither male nor female in God's eyes; however, we also know that women at one time could not own property or vote or any number of things. They used to argue that women should not make as much money as men because men were the "head of the family."

Or are we conceding here that men use the "veil of religion" to oppress women and keep them down? Do they think more women will buy into it if they say that "God wants it this way?"
I believe it goes beyond religions, Reeka. After the French revolution, Napolean set up the set of law codes that are still the basis of our nowadays laws, and even as it stated clearly the separation of church and state, an article also stated that "women were assimilated to children and mad people" concerning their rights about governing their own life or owning properties ...
Old 07-28-2003, 09:43 AM   #23
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I find it hard to think a man would divorce his wife as whimsically as some of you are picturing. It's not like it would come out of the blue. Most divorces are marriages that fall apart over a length of time, not the hubby suddenly meeting a redhead as was suggested and suprising the wife without discussions, arguments, periods of zero communication or absentia.
(...)
Yorick, it depends if you are seeing your wife as a partner or as a property.
Many of the laws made by Islamist extremists make sense if you view them from that angle ...
Old 07-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #24
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Yorick, it depends if you are seeing your wife as a partner or as a property.
Many of the laws made by Islamist extremists make sense if you view them from that angle ...
exactly Moiraine.
To be honest I think that property marriage makes alot more sense than the modern-day 'love covenant'. Love is fine, but leave it out of business transactions, which is essentially what marriage is designed to be: a property delegation/link between families. The recent development of love-marriage really has thrown off the efficiency and stability of the marriage institution. A pity really.
Marriage with concubines was/is the way to go. Too bad that the general Western concensus these days sees it as immoral to have a lover(s) as well as a spouse.

Wellard: What exactly is true love anyway? Wait, don't tell me, I'll know it when I feel it right?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:28 AM   #25
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
exactly Moiraine.
To be honest I think that property marriage makes alot more sense than the modern-day 'love covenant'. Love is fine, but leave it out of business transactions, which is essentially what marriage is designed to be: a property delegation/link between families. The recent development of love-marriage really has thrown off the efficiency and stability of the marriage institution. A pity really.
Marriage with concubines was/is the way to go. Too bad that the general Western concensus these days sees it as immoral to have a lover(s) as well as a spouse.

Wellard: What exactly is true love anyway? Wait, don't tell me, I'll know it when I feel it right?
Hierophant, it is true that until a century ago, marriages were interest-based rather than love-based - but that doesn't mean they were based on the property of one of the members by the other ! They were more based on the sharing of common interests - and the members of the couple were still partners.

In fact, when you read history books, you realize that women in Middle-Age were waaay more free than they were during the 19th century - in the 'old world' anyway - and possibly more free than we are nowadays ...
Old 07-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #26
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:

So how did property marriage work with the majority of serfs and peasants in the good old days Hierophant? Love would have been as big a factor then as now. Unless you have been watching to many costume dramas that give the false impresion that there was anything but an extremley small percentage who actually had property.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-28-2003, 11:36 AM   #27
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks for the link, wellard. Anyway, like I said before, these are bunch of MCPs who give men a bad name.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:15 PM   #28
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Reading this post and considering the whole women's rights and religious freedoms issues simultaneously -- along with fault-based divorce notions and ownership of property notions -- I am coming to realize that as I get older I simply get more fed up with talks of open-mindedness, and I am beginning to understand why many people are simply okay with setting rules for others to live by and striving to make the world conform to their view of what is right.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:22 PM   #29
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

An associate of mine had a good query: What if she didn't recieve the SMS??
Old 07-28-2003, 05:33 PM   #30
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

found another link through New Strait Times.

link

[ 07-28-2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]