Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 10:18 AM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

The Ornery One, good post. It's sad that we need to warn people to be extra cautious and protect their pets at this time of year, but it's very true that more sickos come out of the woodwork around this time and many would harm our cats.

When I had a black kitty, he always got locked in a back room at night on Halloween so nobody would throw things at him or anytning. And none of my cats have been outdoor kitties so I never worried on that score. When I lived in the apartment, I did used to make sure my elderly landlady's cats were in and checked with her all evening.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:18 AM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
Bloody hell Saz! thats one big kitty you got there!
Is it timid enough so that you can pet it, or go near it? [img]smile.gif[/img] They look great 'n all but id think twice about me going near one hehe
Onyx is a sweetheart, but he is still a wild kitty, so the best we're able to do is "flathand" him (place your hand flat against the bars of the cage and let him come rub against it). He was raised by humans from infancy, so he's fairly tame, but make no doubt, the "wild" could come out in him at any time, although it hasn't done so yet. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-01-2002, 10:20 AM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
When I had a black kitty, he always got locked in a back room at night on Halloween so nobody would throw things at him or anytning. And none of my cats have been outdoor kitties so I never worried on that score. When I lived in the apartment, I did used to make sure my elderly landlady's cats were in and checked with her all evening.
I can vouch for Cloudy on this. Her kitties are "keyboard" kitties, evidenced most readily when we connect to have an Icewind Dale multiplayer session! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-01-2002, 10:23 AM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
[QBI can vouch for Cloudy on this. Her kitties are "keyboard" kitties, evidenced most readily when we connect to have an Icewind Dale multiplayer session! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

-Sazerac[/QB]
LOL, yes, Merlin figured out I used to keep a pack of cat treats on the desk, so now he walks on the keyboard to find them...usually when I'm in multiplay or a battle in my single games!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:23 AM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I can vouch for Cloudy on this. Her kitties are "keyboard" kitties, evidenced most readily when we connect to have an Icewind Dale multiplayer session! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

-Sazerac
LOL, yes, Merlin figured out I used to keep a pack of cat treats on the desk, so now he walks on the keyboard to find them...usually when I'm in multiplay or a battle in my single games!

[ 11-01-2002, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 11-01-2002, 10:31 AM   #16
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Question Mark

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I had a friend in college who used to die his white cat various colors for the holidays (via bathing it in dyed water). I think day-glow pink during a halloween party was the funniest.
Argh! Nothing against you, TL, but if that was someone I knew....they'd get an earful from me. Dying any pet isn't exactly good. HOPEFULLY it was a non-toxic dye, but pets, especially cats, can be poisoned from things that don't injure people. Chocolate is a good example. There's a component of chocolate that's deadly to dogs and cats, but it doesn't kill you or me to have a dozen chocolate bars...well aside from the weight/sugar issues! [/QUOTE]Far be it for me to disagree with my ladylove, but just a small point. While chocolate is pretty fatal to dogs, it actually wont kill cats, at least not right off. It *will* give them digestive problems though. And too much of that *can* kill. Be VERY careful what you give your pets in the way of people food. A little meat, cheese, or dairy is ok. And I stress the "A LITTLE" part. And a lot of them like veggies, but again, dont overindulge. Especially with cats. They're carvivores...period! Their systems are geared towards a mostly meat diet.

Anyway, sorry, lecture over. My Dad was studying Vet Science in college before I happened. [img]smile.gif[/img] And he always took care of our pets(and the neighbors pets, and any strays that the neighborhood kids found, as well as the majority of animals on my Grandparents farm, etc etc), and he took great pains to teach me much of what he knew. And he instilled a deep love of animals in me(ok, ok, I'm still not 100% convinced that cats are OK, but Cloudy's are working hard to change my mind )

On Topic: (Heh...how often does *that* happen with me lately?) I remember when I was younger, my best friend had a large black cat named Oilspill(long story), and some 'devil worshipers' tried to catnap him(my friend lived across the street from a cemetary that was a frequent target of these 'devil worshipers' and was vandalized repeatedly). Well, when I say large, I mean LARGE! Oilspill was at least 25 pounds and not a drop of it was fat. And he was an outdoor cat, so he never had his claws clipped. We(my friend and I) were over at his house scaring trick or treaters when we heard the most godawful racket out back. We rushed out with baseball bats only to find Oilspill sitting on the picnic table quietly cleaning his claws(and bloody muzzle) and watching a pair of teens roll around on the ground clutching faces that were clawed to hell and back. Well, after we finished laughing, we called the cops and the two were arrested. No charges were filed(unfortunately), but they *NEVER* bothered Oilspill again.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 11-01-2002, 10:32 AM   #17
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Well i decided to secretly go out around 1 in the moring and look for people doing satanic rituals like people burnings and goat sacrifices so I could get 'em in trouble, the best I could find was a man feeding some chickens in a worn-out chicken coup in the middle of nowhere >_> Word is that more chilren, animals, and just all around THINGS are sacrificed by normal-everyday people around those hours on haloween than any other time of the year...
Old 11-01-2002, 10:36 AM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

*smooches Nacht* Well, my vet said it can be fatal in large enough doses, and since cats are small (other than Oilspill! ) a 'large' dose is pretty small compared to a human's 'large' dose. Maybe there's been new research since your dad studied. There's always something new being learned! I'll ask around in my cat group (email) and if I think of it I'll ask the vet again when we see her.

LOL, SSSHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't tell my cats they have to go to the vet....

And don't let him fool you, Nachty is a sweetheart with the cats and they love him. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2002, 10:40 AM   #19
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
quote:
[QBI can vouch for Cloudy on this. Her kitties are "keyboard" kitties, evidenced most readily when we connect to have an Icewind Dale multiplayer session! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

-Sazerac
LOL, yes, Merlin figured out I used to keep a pack of cat treats on the desk, so now he walks on the keyboard to find them...usually when I'm in multiplay or a battle in my single games! [/QB][/QUOTE]LOLOLOL...yep, he always had a habit of doing that when we were talking on MSN(back when I was still in Idaho).

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 11-01-2002, 10:40 AM   #20
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
This is the kind of black cat you need guarding your house tonight:

I'd laugh exfcept I have a persian/siamese about the same size as that
He's in my pic on Stealthy's

[ 11-01-2002, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]