Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 10:12 PM   #1
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Much.

The US Goverment either the sentate, Jr or Congress has given a private company the right to send rocket loads of post cards, time caps' and other crap to the moon, despite it being a list world treasure!!!
IT has no right to make such desion as the moon is not theirs, it would be like me selling mount Russmore to Japan.

What this company about? It about money it has stated itself that it has not sciencific intreseted in the moon it just out to make a quick buck!
The companies name TransOrbital, their own statement about this trip:
[qoute]... TransOrbital is the first company of its kind authorized by the U.S. government to photograph, explore, and land on the Lunar surface. The 2001 Trailblazer spacecraft's primary missions are to return HDTV video and other multimedia content from lunar orbit to market as commercial products, as well as the delivery of both personal and commercial cargo to the Moon. [/qoute]

Their site http://www.transorbital.net
The contact nuber to send abusive stuff too,
Tel: 858-455-5900 or 703-960-5953
Fax: 858-455-5979 or 603-619-5538
E-mail: at dlaurie@transorbital.net.

Frankly I have half a mind to vist the trash the launch but I know way of getting there .... Donations for my trash the launch can be sent to just kidding, I don't wanna do time@HAHABoink.tv

Edit forget to chance the thread name darn it, oh well it got you read it at least.

[ 10-04-2002, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Gabriel ]
Old 10-04-2002, 10:27 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well unfortunately far as I can tell there have not been any particular worldwide laws passed re other planets, or moons, or other celestial entities.

[ 10-04-2002, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 10-04-2002, 10:35 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well unfortunately far as I can tell there have not been any particular worldwide laws passed re other planets, or moons, or other celestial entities.
Actually, there was an international treaty signed that said that no one country could claim ownership on the planets or moons.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:38 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Hmmm, really? Didn't know. I'm surprised the U.S. would ignore a signed treaty. Does anyone have a link to more about this particular subject? Would be interested in reading about it.

[ 10-04-2002, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 10-05-2002, 12:53 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

As long as a nation doesn't try to make the claim that they own sections of the moon they are in accordance with the agreement. No one ever said "you cannot send things to the moon whenever you please".

Actually, creating a depository of cultural, intellectual, and artistic achievement on the Moon is a good idea. It ascertains that the collected knowledge of mankind will still exist somewhere, even if we don't. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:06 AM   #6
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

What are you complaining about? how many people have you sent up there?
Answer:0
so I guess you have nothing to say about what we sell the rights to. Just be glad we stopped building star wars weapons or at least we stopped shooting holes in the moon with the ones we have. Now maybe you'll be able to buy A ticket and fly there for the weekend and we won't shoot at you.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:10 AM   #7
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

i'm all for it.anything to get people back on the moon.let private enterprise do it since the governments don't seem to want to.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:20 AM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Whats the problem?

The moon is not the property of any one nation, (Although someone a few years ago pointed out that individuals werent covered, claime the moon as his and started selling land there. AFAIK that lot have never been legally challenged), but that dosene mean anyone is banned from going there.

AS I understand it, the moon is free territory to be explored by anyone with the resources. Maybe when technology gets up to exploiting the lunar envrionment this will change.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
MagiK

It might be noted that no private company has gotten anything to the moon yet. The international treaties concerning the Moon and other extra-palnetary
bodies just says that no one will lay claim to the place. However, there is no law saying that if the US were to establish a colony and let it start to grow that we would have to provide access to countries that cannot reach the bodies on their own.

If this company manages to get this stuff to the moon, the worst thing they are guilty of is littering. If they manage to open up a huge market of privatized space exploration and travel by proving it can be profitable, more power to them. It is only a matter of time till mankind starts to exploit the resources of the solar system and that can only be a good thing for planet earth since we will not have to ravage the planet for ever scarceer resources.

Old 10-05-2002, 01:03 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hey the moon is mine and all Ya'll owe me money for talking about it? I plan to harvest the cheese there and build bases to launch my evil space empire.