Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Which one should I get for christmas?
-Neverwinternights apparently allows you to import your BG2 character
-But I got the expansion for icewind dale (heart of winter) free with BG2

I just need a general idea as I am unable to make a decision so thought asking experienced players would be better. Thanks in advance.
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It does not allow you to import your char unfortunately, but you can easily make one up. I played IWD2 for about a month till I completed it. I have been playing NWN's since I got it, about a year ago. Do the math .
Old 11-28-2003, 04:37 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Icewind 1 is on budget. Its OK, but not up to the standards of BG. Worth it at budget prices. IWD2 is worth getting just to be able to run the IWG mod and get BG2 under the superiour engine. In itself, IWD2 is mostly just hack and slash. Good hack and slash, but still just hack and slash.

NWN is different, don't go into it expecting an improved version of BG2, because there isn't such a thing. But it does have loads of 3rd party content and plays very well in multplayer, so is worth getting if you like online play.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:03 PM   #4
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

Letter

IWD dude....trust me. Unless your one of thoose guys that wants to build there own dungeon...then get NWN but I am not really into that.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:33 PM   #5
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I am probally one of the biggest fans of Baldurs Gate...got the books...got the games...Bg1-2- IWD1-2 and THEN I bought NWN and I have to say it like this...U canŽt really compare them...for game perfomance NWN is far far far better than BG1-2 IWD1-2 and ONLY Morrowind can actually outclass NWN on certain aspects.

IŽd most definetly go with NWN...

The largest differencies between IWD and NWN lies foremost in going from 2d to 3d graphics...and in the game itself...U do NOT have 6 characters but only ONE you can however rent a henchman to help in your adventures and he is meginally under your control.

It is a question about style...I still play BG but not at all like NWN

J.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'm playing both at the moment, and both games are pretty good. I've almost completed IWD 2 now, and i'm still in the first chapter of NWN. I wouldn't know what to suggest, but if possible, get them both.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:16 AM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

Both games are good but I would still put it like this: If you don't intend to play online, to download some fan-made modules or create your own then don't bother with NWN. It's single player Official Campaign in NWN is decent but not in the same league as BG2. The strong multiplayer capabilities and the easy-to-use Toolset is the real strenght of NWN. With the Toolset you can create your own modules using the same content that's used in the OC. A very powerful tool, indeed. But if none of this interrest you, then NWN probably isn't anything for you.

But you should really get both. IWD is on budget and so is probably IWD2 as well. And you should be able to find NWN fairly cheap as well. Just don't forget to patch it when you get it, I've heard there are some bugs in the earlier versions. All three games are very hack'n'slashy in nature.

[ 12-05-2003, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 12-17-2003, 11:08 PM   #8
warnie
Dungeon Master

ving played both games , i couldnt help but add my five cents.

IWD , is a really fun game. ITs a BG lite with all the good points and none of the seriousness of BG.Its got a cute stoy line,lots of hack and slash , the usual quest biz but on a lesser scale than BG. It also has the game syetem you know and love , so it will not be hard to start. it is not however BG and thats the fact, its mising that trulllllllllllly huge epic adventure feeling..

NWN is a diffrent kettle of fish all together.IT is your huge epic adventure in the fullest form. save the continent.battle the evils.really well thought out plots ,NPcs and all.I think in some ways Stratos hit it on the head perfectly.Being one who likes to battle on thier own , its single player game is OK,but it took me a while to warm up to it.The solo thing is very diffrent , more diablo like im told (though i have as yet to play that game). the whole feel to the game is diffrent. the one hench man idea , didnt really strike my fancy, but that thief was a cute little BASTARD.Though by the time your into the second chapter , your sick or the word reagents! lol
the graphics are awesome though.Took me abit of time to get used to how everything swings around with the move of your mouse , but fater a bit , its great. really added to my game play.

so . like i said it all depends on what your looking for, but both are really worth it...
warnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:19 AM   #9
vesselle
Hathor

nwn! the OC is good, but it's SoU and HotU that make it a stellar SP game. absolutely. there's even items and references to Athkatla in it. nice for a 'hehehe! i remember that!' giggle.

iwd is okay. fun but i've never replayed it. and never played any user made mods for it. i've been playing NWN, SoU, HotU and about 10 mods since i got the game on release day, 18 months ago. [img]smile.gif[/img]

V***V
Old 12-19-2003, 07:18 AM   #10
Talon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've not played icewind dale, but I'm really enjoying what I've seen of NWN sofar.