Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
Cienden
Manshoon

Yeah the once a month maybe security fix is pretty nice on my Mac. For my WinXP PC I feel like as soon as I reboot I'll probably find more fixes ready to install upon logging back in and running update. *groan*
Old 07-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #12
wellard
Dracolisk

Is there not a replacement for XP due out soon anyway?

Philip .. regarding SP1 not installing itself. Sometimes that is a security issue, Microsoft may not recognise your version of XP as legit. If your version is genuine then give them a call to help because getting SP1 loaded is needed IMO [img]smile.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-19-2004, 08:51 PM   #13
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

ahh win2000 for me

Catch me if you can..
Old 07-20-2004, 02:09 AM   #14
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

I've used the beta since I was able to download it and haven't had any issues I couldn't easily work around but I may just have been lucky.

That's why I always say, Linux all the way, but I guess windows is still an everyday necessity.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:30 AM   #15
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Philip .. regarding SP1 not installing itself. Sometimes that is a security issue, Microsoft may not recognise your version of XP as legit. If your version is genuine then give them a call to help because getting SP1 loaded is needed IMO [img]smile.gif[/img]
It's on my father's winme (surprise surprise ) but I've got it to install before so it should work but recently I had some nice crashes and drivers that screwed up everything. My father wants to format anyway so I'll wait for that cause I think I can install afterwards, just as on my own computer. Apparently just installing windows over the old windows doesn't work.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:54 AM   #16
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
That's why I always say, Linux all the way, but I guess windows is still an everyday necessity.
I found there are fewer problems than I thought. Only problem are file formats like powerpoint isn't it? For those I might try wine
Old 07-20-2004, 04:56 AM   #17
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks for the heads up!

I am thinking of Win 2000 though... am not sure... bah anyway I'll be able to think of a plan sooner or later.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:27 PM   #18
The Fallen One
Elminster

win2k aint that good for gaming, IMO the best OS for gaming and resisting viruses nowadays, is Win98Se [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2004, 01:27 PM   #19
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
QUOTE]Windows Me users should be concerned at all times. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Saw that one coming.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #20
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

What do you do. Other OS such as Linux and MAc don't have problems because they aren't used as much. The majority of PC's use MS products , so that's why hackers like them so much. Win 98 SE is too old now. You have a hard time finding hardware drivers for newer hardware. Reloading a W98 machine is a P.I.T.A. too!!!! You have to locate so many patches updates and drivers that you can spend all night doing it! It works fine, but you had better keep all your software handy for future use. All that said, I just broke down and upgraded to W2K professional recently

As a tech, I recommend staying about one OS behind. By the time you upgrade, all the bugs and security holes are worked out.