Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
Raistlin Majere
Ra

each time i open the internet connection, a message pops up saying the system will be shut down in one minute(it comes with a timer and all. btw, it really does shut down when the timer runs out). it says something about some RPC-service abruptly ending. its not a virus, is it? also, dont know if its important, but it says that this shut down was started by NT -HALLINTA(control in english. im running the Finnish version of XP)\SYSTEM. any help would be welcome...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 08-12-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

It's the new worm: IW thread about it there are some links in it as well. but the story is also on the ms page
Old 08-12-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Does it also ask you to place your windows CD in the drive, because existing windows files were overwritten by unknown files ?

Cause that's what happened to me and a bunch of other people i know the last couple of days.

[ 08-12-2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 08-12-2003, 02:13 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Yes this is indeed the blaster virus. Here's the Microsoft bulletin which has links to the patches for this problem. Update your antivirus and see if that can clean your computer. Norton should take care of it and if you don't have Norton Antivirus, Symantec has developed a tool to remove the virus for you as well as handing out tips on how to restrict the virus (blocking some ports in your firewall). Check it out here
Old 08-12-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, Norton dealt very swiftly with this virus. I guess it wasn't that much of a threat to begin with.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:20 AM   #6
Raistlin Majere
Ra

it seems that the virus has "left the building". me and my friend, who happens to be something like a tech guru, could not find the virus anywhere. an application from f-secure couldnt find any infection and i havent gotten the self-shutdown window anymore. kinda weird, especially since i dont have virus protection or anything(been thinking of getting some...)

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."