Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2001, 03:36 PM   #1
Charean
Hathor

Well, I made the 1300 miles in about 32 hours (that includes the many stops for fuel and one for rest) and loved being out on the open road again!

Funny how you never forget the roads and their landmarks (remembered all the truckstops on I-70 from Pennsylvania to Indianna (where gas is $1.49 a gallon!!)) and the scenery this time of year is absolutely fantastic. The mountains in Western Maryland and West Virgina were stunning and green, and Wisconsin is absolutely breathtaking. Minnesota is also nice (and I know I am asking for it from the Minnesotans) but I liked Wisconsin, or what I saw of it because there was less development and less population (same reason I like Montana and Wyoming!). Minnesota is farms... and more farms.... and really green.

There are no tourists in Minnesota as far as I can tell - I am the ONLY one with Maryland plates - and once in a great while I see a Wisconsin tag. Life here is really different. Folks in MN are gung ho about recycling (which I love) for there are bins at truck stops and gas stations for that purpose! How cool! Folks in Minnesota tend to drive pretty well and are pretty considerate - yes I have driven in St. Paul, Minneapolis and some of the enviorns already (I love to explore!) and am amazed at how UNSTRESSED these people are compared to where I come from (the Washington DC area). The accent is cute, and the people are really nice.

No real adventures yet, for I have been exploring the state and hope to do a couple of big road trips before I get on the big truck and have people tell me where to go!

I have been lurking a bit last couple of days... but had to search for my password so I could post... everything is still in boxes, ya know!

To me - every state is like a different country. The currency and the language may be similar, but the customs and ways of using the language are unique in different areas, even in the same state. But the more you travel, the more you realize how nice people are and how much we all really have in common.

By the way... I really missed you guys!!

Have noticed a lot of new faces on the boards as well...sheese - gone for a few days and things change so much! Hope I can keep up!

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-08-2001, 03:41 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Charean!

And welcome to Minnesota I emailed you about lunch, did you get it?

I will not remark about the Wisconsin/Minnesota thing, I think that is only a football issue

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?
Old 06-08-2001, 03:46 PM   #3
Charean
Hathor

Emailed you back

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-08-2001, 03:53 PM   #4
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
Emailed you back

So, how do you like Minnesota so far? Is your host treating you well? Finding enough things to do? And yes, the Minnesota/Wisconsin thing is mostly a football issue, but it's still an issue!!!

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Awake, Aware and Loving Life to the best of my abilities
Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
Old 06-08-2001, 03:54 PM   #5
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Just be glad you're not here in the winter. It's horrible. For the other half of the year it's pretty nice though.

-Jafin
Old 06-08-2001, 03:58 PM   #6
Moni

Wow Charean! Good Time!

I know I am not in Minnesota but I just wanted to wave at you from Texas and say it is nice to see you here today!

Glad you are enjoying yourself so much! You deserve to!

Moni

------------------

Old 06-08-2001, 04:12 PM   #7
Charean
Hathor

How do I like Minnesota so far? Well, there is no real traffic to deal with (which I absolutely LOVE) and the state is very open - lots of sky!! To be honest, never really came through up North when I was driving a few years ago - I was mainly on the West and South of the country... didn't see much up here. It is a pleasant surprise! Right now I have seen mainly the Southern part of MN... haven't gone up North yet.

You ask about my host... well...
I don't see much of him, but he was kind enough to help me unload the truck (and what a pain that was!) and he is very generous in letting me get situated.

I have a lot to do, anyway - like get my license switched over for Schneider, and finding my stuff and sorting what needs to go on the truck.. my CB looks a bit rusty, I may have to think about finding someone to look at it or perhaps break down and buy a new one (preferably with weather!!)

About the rivalry between Minnesota and Wisconsin... it is funny. I have to kind of watch myself.. but it doesn't seem too bad. I come from Redskin country where anything that remotely looked like Dallas colors was given quite a takedown. Now with the Baltimore Ravens in the area... it makes things weird for Marylanders who followed the Skins. The cool thing is since Virginia has no football team - the only real rivalry in the area is trying to court Tech businesses over the state lines... it is political - but fun to watch!

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Old 06-08-2001, 04:17 PM   #8
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Wow Charean! Good Time!

I know I am not in Minnesota but I just wanted to wave at you from Texas and say it is nice to see you here today!

Glad you are enjoying yourself so much! You deserve to!

Moni
Howdy Moni!! How are things in TX?? Beautiful weather here - sunny and 75!!! Love it!

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Old 06-08-2001, 07:04 PM   #9
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:

Minnesota is also nice (and I know I am asking for it from the Minnesotans) but I liked Wisconsin, or what I saw of it because there was less development and less population (same reason I like Montana and Wyoming!). Minnesota is farms... and more farms.... and really green.

There are no tourists in Minnesota as far as I can tell - I am the ONLY one with Maryland plates - and once in a great while I see a Wisconsin tag. Life here is really different. Folks in MN are gung ho about recycling (which I love) for there are bins at truck stops and gas stations for that purpose! How cool! Folks in Minnesota tend to drive pretty well and are pretty considerate - yes I have driven in St. Paul, Minneapolis and some of the enviorns already (I love to explore!) and am amazed at how UNSTRESSED these people are compared to where I come from (the Washington DC area). The accent is cute, and the people are really nice.
Ok Jo ... I simply must respond to your comments on Minnesota. You are correct in your description, as far as SOUTHERN MN is concerned. But once you get north, past Little Falls .. the state changes.

Up here in north central/northwest MN we have lots of Trees and Lakes... and the further north you go, the more sparse the population is. And the tourists come up here! We have people from all over - Texas, Canada, North Dakota, Oregon... everywhere.

So, I challenge you to come up north. I'll show you the true wilds of the Minnesota North Woods. We could even make a trip over to Duluth which is NOT flat .... rocky, hills, and of course, Lake Superior. Lots left to see Jo.

I agree .. Wisconsin is lovely.

------------------

Do not meddle in the
affairs of Dragons for
you are crunchy and
good with ketchup.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:10 PM   #10
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

Oooh, Bilqis, Love the new Sig!

Charean: Enjoy the travelling, and if you pass through Los Angeles, stop by and sample my favorite restaurant, El Cholos. I'm buying.

"Red Dragon on mountaintop. Are YOU going to tell her she must go? I thought not!"

------------------
DawnChaser aka Thanatos (Dispositioner of Souls)