Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2001, 11:26 AM   #1
Tuor
Elminster

I'm currently in the middle of SoA with a party composed of:

Me Sorceror (for a change )
Keldorn
Minsc
Nalia (Changing to Imoen when I find her again)
Jaheira (romance)
Jan

When I get to ToB I don't want to meddle with the party composition because it works quite well but I'd like to take sarevok along with me. What I want to know is which of Minsc and Keldorn do I kick out to accomodate him.

I'm not getting rid of any others but I'm intrigued to know what interactions between characters I can expect if I get rid of Minsc or Keldorn, I understand something happens between Keldorn and Imoen but I'm not sure.

I also have Carsomyr so I don't know if I should throw out Keldorn.

any advice would be appreciated

------------------
TUOR, Excrutiatingly Jolly Aerie executioner of the HADB and all round not so nice guy.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 11:41 AM   #2
Byronas

Well, I should kicked out Keldorn and have Sarevok. Later in the game the thieves can learn a special ability named Use any Item. When they learn that they can use any weapon even Hely Avenger! So if you have a girdle that increases strength put it to Jan (after he learns the special ability) and he can use Holy Avenger,

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.
Old 10-26-2001, 11:46 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Jan? Wielding the Holy Avenger?

That's so screwy it might just work, if only for the laugh factor.

Anyway, I will replace Minsc with Sarevok.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 07:34 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

id leave sarevok at home - look, i killed that bugger once, i am NOT letting him out of the pocket plane . its just wrong.

oh, and Use any Item? fine, but remember your wont have any proficiency slots in Two Handed Swords.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 08:52 PM   #5
dulouz
Manshoon

Sarevok is pretty cool in ToB. He even has a few conversations with the PC about why he is allowed in the party and stuff. I think he's a good addition. Currently i have Sarevok, Minsc and Valygar as my primary fighters. Valygar pretty freakin good right now.
dulouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 03:00 AM   #6
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

I faced that decision when I started TOB and choose Sarevok and Keldorn. I missed Minsc, but have not regretted Sarevok. While he was still evil, I had him use the Soul Reaver +4 sword, meanwhile I added to his halberd proficiency until he was a grand master and then gave him the Ravager +6 halberd. He really dishes out the damage, much more so than Minsc. He also sometimes has a death bringer assault and I have seen him deal out over 200 damage in one blow sometimes, not to mention the 10% chance of instant death,,, In fact, Sarevok killed the dragon Fll'yissetat in Abazigal's lair on the very first blow that
way; very effective, though a little anti-climatic. My main character is a plain fighter, with the rest of my part consisting of Keldorn, Sarevok, Imoen, Jaheira and Aerie (romance). With a strength belt and the enhanced Spectral Brand, Jaheira is a good back up fighter, but her 7th level summoning abilities are really helpful. I have cheated somewhat in that I have used the create creature cheat to summon high level monsters to fight for the experience, giving me slightly higher than normal characters. Sarevok has had some interesting conversations with Imoen about what it was like being dead. Imoen also put the moves on Keldorn once, though being the holy warrior type, he stayed faithful to his wife, even though in SOA he had her and her lover imprisoned. Imoen never seemed to have many interactions with Minsc that I can recall. All in all, Sarevok seems to be a much better tank than Minsc was. Now I am going to work on his cross bow proficiency, though there is not too much to do other than go after Melissan, then game over.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 10:04 AM   #7
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

I ended up taking Sarevok over Minsc, but I really miss Minsc sometimes, he was really getting good dual wielding axes. I kept Keldorn (just so valuable) with holy avenger and true sight and dipel magic abilities.
Fuzzy Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 01:49 PM   #8
Vampire

Power: Keldorn/Sarevok
Fun: Minsc and Boo
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 01:19 AM   #9
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I too had that choice when I started ToB. My party at the end of SoA:

Me (kensai)
Minsc
Keldorn
Imoen
Jaheira
Aerie

Afetr much consideration, I dumped Minsc and took Sarevok. My rationale was that I didn't really need a ranger and although Sarevok was loewr in levels than Minsc, imho he made a better fighter (5*s in halberd (eventually ) and Ravager +6 and he rocked).
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 11:36 AM   #10
Debaser

to be succinct, i would probably get rid of Minsc to make room for Sarevok. just considering Keldorn and Minsc as overall characters, it would be most utilitarian to get rid of Minsc because he has less useful class-related powers than Keldorn does, and personally my Minsc is a two-handed sword man, so Sarevok would be the logical replacement and I'm probably going to do that today.
Debaser is offline   Reply With Quote