Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2001, 02:41 AM   #1
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi All,

Bzzz.....its almost 12 am and I should go to bed, yes Wiz 8 is funnnnnnnnnnnnnn! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Funny, when I went to EB today and asked for a reserve of Wiz 8, this girl there said from behind the counter "Is that Mr. Ritchie?". And I said "you're damn right it is, GIMMIE!" [img]smile.gif[/img]

A quick report about items that come over from Wiz 7, its simple - HARDLY ANY! [img]smile.gif[/img]

A few pieces of armor made it, however the only high level item I saw was an Elven Bow, which is a very nice item. I also got a Stun Rod to come over (forgot I had it) - which does insane damage in the hands of a Valkrye (it gives +10 to pole and staff).

I played the game a few hours then realized how much I was lacking in the magic department. Having 6 level 5 fighter classes didn't do much in big battles. So, I went back to Wiz 7 and made a few characters magic classes, and when they came over a second time they had more talents for magic.

Any skill that was in Wiz 7 starts at about 1/6-1/5 of what it was, ie a skill of 100 will be about 15-20.

Another thing I just thought of, now I had a TON of things in my characters swag bags...however in Wiz 8 there is no swag bag. So, I noticed nothing came over in the party inventory, so I am thinking perhaps a lot of those items were not counted since there wasn't room? I may be off my rocker but I will check later and see.

So, no Light Sword, Excalibur, Blade Cuisinart or any of the other goodies.

Its probably a good thing, but it was great to see the old party in action, however the party is sort of unbalanced.

We started with Vi Domina, but she scampered off after a while, and I could tell the programemr that designer her must have been male. Now maybe its just me, but she looked like she had an E Cup size bosom! Perverts... I swear. [img]smile.gif[/img]

More report later.....I need rest! Hope everyone else is enjoying the game!

best

Scronan
Old 11-14-2001, 04:33 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Most interesting, Erick! Well, as you can see, it's 3 AM here, my beginning party is now up to 5th level in wandering around the Monastery, and pretty soon I guess I'll need to gird up my loins and **groan** go face "Saffy"...but first I need to go to bed.

Too bad about the items not crossing. I had a feeling, though...that Light Saber would have just made the game too unbalanced.

From what you're telling me, it's probably just as well to create a new party. What I've got so far is:

Rektaurus -> Male Human Warrior
Liselle -> Female Rawulf Valkyrie
Lenard -> Male Human Ranger; will change him later on, but need that Scout skill to find the hidden items to start out with
Rik -> Male Human Bard
Snowstar -> Male Rawulf Priest
Jennalei -> Female Elven Mage

I do like the Rawulfs, especially in the Priestly professions. I was a bit disappointed in the Felpurrs; they don't really have many bonuses in many classes and in most areas, Humans are just as good. (I tend to be Human heavy because they're easier to get to upgrade to other classes because of their middle-of-the road stats that are easy to level up).

So we'll see how it goes. So far, so good...I've legitimately not lost anyone yet and haven't had to reload and replay a battle yet...I'm trying to keep it as legit as possible. But then, I haven't run into "Saffy" yet either.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 10:50 AM   #3
Case00
Manshoon

your in luck Sazerac, Saffy isn't in the full version (at least not in the monastary.) However, there is big bad scorpion looking thing that might be a little tough.
If I can add a suggestion since it seems the baddy is causing some trouble for people..

Spoiler (not really but...)
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>
>
>
Cast paralyze on it.It seems pretty susceptible to it. I brought the thing down in 3 rounds without nary a scratch.
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 11:25 AM   #4
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Saz, everyone

Well, only 5 hours of sleep but I can think a lot better than I could last night. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oddly enough, some interesting items did come over, I'll list them here.

1. Crux of Crossing - Don't know why we'd need this, its not a bad weapon, but its cursed.

2. Cornu of Demonspawn - I didn't realize till I looked at it, this is an AWESOME weapon for a bard. But - the one caveat is that you need a music skill of 70 and Bard level 17 to use the damn thing! I think in the hands of a skilled Bard, it could prove quite useful to hang on to.

3. Mystery Ray - This one is simply awesome. Remember this little item for waking up those sleepy headed Savant Guards? Well, in this game, its essentially a Laserpistol with unlimited shots, and does 4-12 damage. Primary weapon, can be used by *ALL* classes and races. It also does double damage to andriods. Its a great weapon starting out, but I could see how later in the game it may be quite useless. Also, being that its a Modern Weapon, only a select few classes will get stat increases for using it. Gagdeteer anyone? [img]smile.gif[/img]

4. Mana Stones/Milk of Magnesia - These items came through fine, and would be very valuable to restore lost Mana in a big fight.

5. Various Armors - Kabuto, Bascinet and Camal, Crusader Helm - Good defense from some of these.

6. Stun Rod - This weapon is AWESOME! 75% chance to drain Stamina, 25% to stun, +10 to Pole and Staff, however its one draw back is -6 to initative. In the hands of a Valkrye who already has a +10 pole and staff, it can make her weapon skill go sky high! My level 5 Gnome Valkyre was doing up to 30 damage per hit with this thing! I'd say this is the best weapon I've seen come over.

7. Cross of Protection - I had to mention this, I carried it over from Wiz 6, so its come a long way, and through 10 years of programming! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I will make a complete list of all the items I saw come over later, and also research about the Swag bag vs not enough room that I mentioned in my last post.

Aye Saz - My party is kind of funky right now...and I think getting your characters up to level 5 wouldnt be that hard. So, I've got a Gnome, Elf, Rawulf, Felpurr and two Pixies. One big negative I'm seeing already is low carrying capacity. I'd like to keep my Faerie Ninja, but I don't need two of them. I'd also like to use a Mook, heh then I'll have a party of big hairy folks, ha. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oddly enough, the Faerie Monk is quite the tail kicker, he fights and dodges well, but does have low hit points, like the Ninja. I know in Wiz 6 and 7 Faeries and other classes seemed powerful, but in this game they are significantly weaker. In Wiz 7 my Faeries had the highest hit points of all the characters - now they have the least.

I don't know if I'm going to start over with an all new party, but when I started again with a Mage, Cleric and Bishop instead of all Warriors, it was a great help.

But - A lot of character skills came over, like 20 in Pickpocket, Locks and Traps and Stealth for the Ninja. I'll have to compare to starting characters, but I think there is an advantage to importing characters.

Also, even if you were level 1 in Wiz 7, you will be given 4 level ups once you start in Wiz 8.

So, more info on this to come! [img]smile.gif[/img]

8 hours until I'm off work and can play more Wiz 8. Cancel all appointments and reservations, I've got some adventuring to do!

Best

Scronan
Old 11-15-2001, 02:56 PM   #5
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Haven't got it yet but this thread has me wondering.If you bring characters and items over from 7 to 8 and then go back to 7 are they still there? If they are could you give all your stuff to a new character in 8 delete them then reimport them from 7 to create an infinate money and item engine? Like I said I don't have 8 yet so maybe this is a silly question,Just curious.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
sageridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 03:05 PM   #6
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Sorry Sageridder, but it won't work that way. When you import the characters, the original Wiz 7 save file is not affected. You read the file and then create a Wiz 8 save file to work with. Going back to Wiz 7 would let you see exactly the stuff you left with. Wiz 8 files cannot be read by Wiz 7.

I have found that there is a limit to magic items being brought over. It looks like only one or two magic items per character. So equip your guys with high level but non magical armor in 7 and then save and import should give you better equipment to start with.

Good Luck!

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 04:18 PM   #7
Ravashack
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey Scronan, mind if I include that in my Wiz 7 FAQ? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, and Stun Rods do insane damage period. I was using it with my Ranger in Wizardry 7, and all I can say is that the damage he does in Wizardry 8 ranges from 11 to 40 something. OW.

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Ravashack ]

Ravashack is offline   Reply With Quote