Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 05:34 PM   #11
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Everyone:

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, or to pat myself on the back, or to accuse anyone of not playing "correctly". I'm just trying to put forth a point of view.
I've been an active member of another BG forum, and I read and post to the Usenet groups. This seems to be a common theme. Many people will play the "Uber-PC", others will scream "CHEAT !" I'm just putting in my $0.02...
I think that those who try and win the game from within their character will enjoy a unique experience.

Like someone already posted, it's just a computer game.

So, if I've offended, I apologize.

------------------
The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
Old 04-10-2001, 05:38 PM   #12
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I certainly wasn't offended. I think you are mostly right, and personally I try to get as much roleplaying out of BG2 as I can.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:18 PM   #13
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

I agree. The first time through I just tried to pummel my way through whatever, which in the end always succeded. My second time I tried being a bit more subtle, choosing less tanks for my party etc.. I'm now trying to get out of the first dungeon as a solo Monk (see my post). First I tried smashing through everything (which almost worked), but part of the game is judging whether or not you are ready to take on a certain battle, and now I've started stealthing my way through certain bits, because that is what I would actually do. Smashing through everything isn't the only way, but you miss out on XPs if you don't.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:36 PM   #14
Epona
Zartan

Sorry Rudedawg - I went a bit over the top there - I guess I should have put a smilie in, and I realise my choice of the gnashing teeth monster message icon made it look more cross than intended! I wasn't really offended or anything, but I have a bit of a Tolkien-hatred thing - don't ask!

What I should have said was:

I love roleplaying - the reason I tried BGI initially was because I used to play PnP many years ago, but no longer know anyone in RL who is into it - so a PC game I could play solo looked ideal. I always really try to role-play my characters, but not necessarily following Tolkienesque literature religiously! So I have my own ideas about what an elf should do/not do, and play according to that.

As it happens, I am currently playing an Elven archer. I don't think it's right for him to use a mace or hammer as I just can't imagine him crudely bashing anyone over the head! But I have given him a proficiency in Quarterstaffs as well as Long Swords, because IMHO Quarterstaffs can be quite graceful weapons if used skilfully. I do roleplay, but to my own rules rather than Tolkien's, and I am consistent in the application of those rules! I hope that makes sense.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:12 PM   #15
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I do roleplay, but to my own rules rather than Tolkien's, and I am consistent in the application of those rules! I hope that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense. Like I mentioned earlier, I appreciated your advice, especially since it was based on the spirit of roleplaying.

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I am currently playing an Elven archer. I don't think it's right for him to use a mace or hammer as I just can't imagine him crudely bashing anyone over the head! But I have given him a proficiency in Quarterstaffs as well as Long Swords, because IMHO Quarterstaffs can be quite graceful weapons if used skilfully.
I LIKE this idea, but I wish I had asked earlier. I've already left the Underdark, and the Rod of Smiting. Incidently, Sun Tzu mentioned a farmer who beat several samauri swordmasters with a quarterstaff...

I won't ask about the Tolkien-thing, but you won't apply that to Tolkien fans, will you? I explained my love for him in the Books forum, and it too is very personal. ( helped me through a VERY hard time, early in my life)

Thanks for clearing that up, I was afraid I'd upset you.

------------------
The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
Old 04-11-2001, 12:37 AM   #16
jbombard
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I understand the fact that you wish to roleplay your character, but I cannot understand not using a blunt weapon because elves don't like 'em. Let's face it unless you are roleplaying a moron with an intellegence of 3, if the only thing that will hurt a monster is a blunt weapon I would think the average person would use a mace(proficient or not) as opposed to dieing. To me using the blunt weapon out of necessity is alot more like roleplaying than not. A smart character uses what he has. In our world no 2 people are exactly the same and they needn't be when roleplaying either. Making your character unique is what makes roleplaying fun. Having set rules that you ALWAYS must follow is a bit unrealistic simply because nobody follows the rules 100% of the time in real life either. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.
Old 04-11-2001, 04:58 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Powergamer vs roleplayer, as long as you're all having fun playing, that's what's important.

------------------
Old 04-11-2001, 05:30 AM   #18
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I know you all probably played planescape:torment already but thought I would recommend it for the people who prefer roleplaying just in case they have'nt played it yet.In planescape:torment depending on how you play the game combat is completely avoidable except for a few boss battles and it actually makes charisma, intelligence, and wisdom a important stat even if your a fighter.I could go on for a while but just go to interplays website if you want to learn more.

------------------
RULE #1:I am always right
RULE #2:See rule #1
Old 04-11-2001, 08:11 AM   #19
Lord Shield

You're not wrong there. To my mind, PST is STILL the best CRPG to date, even better than BG2. I think it helped that I was familiar with the Planescape AD&D setting before I started though

Old 04-11-2001, 08:15 AM   #20
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I think the bg2 team hates the planescape team cause they say all the npc's in that game die while working for the nameless one

------------------
RULE #1:I am always right
RULE #2:See rule #1