Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
seclists
Dungeon Master

I'm an old geezer who only very rarely plays CRPGs. Although, in general, I will admit that CRPGs have gone a long way from the 1980s (even though Ultimas IV & V can still stand proudly against almost any modern CRPG), the sad part is that I no longer have much time for computer games and I also find that I have become much more selective than I used to be. A good few games that would have been the fulfillment of my dreams in the 1980s simply fail to impress me today.

So here's what I want from a CRPG today:

1. Game mode: single player, with a *user-created* party. This one is essential, non-negotiable. A game that fails this criterion is simply out of consideration. A *major* part of the fun, for me, is in planning and building my "ideal" party (in terms of strategic effectiveness as well as character personalities). I want to play a party of my *own* characters. If I can import pictures for my characters, even better.

2. Combat: turn-based, not real-time! This one is a must, too. I want to *plan* my next move carefully. In the "click-as-fast-as-you-can" breed of games, strategic subtleties tend to go down the drain.

3. Lots of different strategies (character classes, spells, etc.) to experiment with.

4. A large world to explore (hopefully NOT in a linear, railroaded fashion!) : lots of *different* areas and lots of *different* monsters to encounter.

Here are a few fairly recent CRPGs that I already am familiar with and what I think of them:
-Diablo II: Failed just about all of the above criteria, but I somehow managed to plod through it. Not going back to it, though.
-Ultima IX: Failed several criteria. Too many controls, too confusing. Tried it, not going back.
-Baldur's Gate: Failed #1 - a key issue for me. I eventually "cheated": I created a "multiplayer" party so I could have my own characters in my party. This was the *only* way I could bear the game.
-Baldur's Gate II: Again, failed #1. Started playing it, but got bored as soon as I escaped the prison where you start the game.
-Icewind Dale: Ok, this one fit the bill nicely. I completed it and liked it so much that I bought the expansion as soon as it was released.
-Planescape Torment: Seriously failed #1. Started playing it, and quit as soon as I got out of the first building. Not going back.
-Wizardry 8: Currently the strongest contestant in all 4 categories (except for game world SIZE, I guess). However, I realize that I will soon have completed it, and will probably want more. If I cannot find a suitable replacement, I will probably start Wizardry 8 again with a new party. Heck, I just might do it anyway... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have also bought the following games (bargain bin finds) but have not tried them yet: Pool of Radiance (Ruins of Myth Drannor), Might & Magic VII (Blood and Honour), Icewind Dale II. At least IWD2 should play ok for me. Hmm, maybe too many games with the AD&D rule system. I played (heck, even DM'ed) pen&paper AD&D games in the 1980s and am fairly familiar with the system, but not very fond of it. The hybrid level/skill system of Wiz8 plays much better.

I am currently considering Temple of Elemental Evil. Can you recommend this game for me?
Also, based on the preferences listed above, is there some other (currently available) CRPG that you believe I would find very interesting? My deepest gratitude if you can find such a game for me..!

[ 01-16-2004, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: seclists ]
seclists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You should like Might & Magic VII (Blood and Honor), as that one meets your criteria, Both Might & Magic 6 and 7 were very good in this regard, another game you might find in the bin that would meet your criteria is Wizards & Warriors.

[ 01-16-2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:50 AM   #3
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Wizards and Warriors mebbe... and mebbe Devil Whiskey (only played the demo of it though).

If having a party, and not just one character, isn't über-important, I'd suggest you try out some roguelikes (me likes ToME really good)... all the good ones are free [img]smile.gif[/img]

I dunno 'bout Temple of Elemental Evil... I had some fun with it, for a while, but getting it before the patch was out kinda ruined it :/ might get back to it though...
Old 01-16-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Aracanth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Gotta agree with the Party creation thing. Now, I have nearly finished TOEE, and I reckon it was OK, but slightly boring, as there weren't many puzzly type things to do, quite linear, but also challenging. Make your own chars etc etc. What about the pr-cursor to Wiz 8, Wiz 7? which IMHO is actually better. i think there is a "Gold" version of this.... It is interesting that you enjoyed Wiz 8 as I didnt. I got extremely fed up with the monsters simply getting harder and harder as you progess, with no way of going back to an easier bit, as the monsters were hard there due to your level, but you have piqued my curiosity, and I may return.... I completed MM7, will fit your criteria, graphics bit old now tho, good nevertheless. If you REALLY want a big game though with parts you will never visit as the game is just HUGE, try Morrowind 3 as IMHO this is the best game out, but prepare for a loss of your social life...Lastly what about Fallout? plays well, especially if you try TOEE and enjoy that...

My 2p worth anyway...

Ara
Aracanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Try Icewind Dale 2 if you liked the original and Might and Magic 6&7 are both turn-based.

Other than that, there are not many newer games out there that meets both of your criterias.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:51 AM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

If you don't mind old DOS game, you can try the "Realm of Arkania" trilogy.

1. You HAVE to create your own party. The pre-generated ones are a mixed bunch

2. Yes, all combats are turn based

3. A good selection of spells but some of them are not so fun nor useful.

4. It is a huge world. Some town locations are not marked and you will have to discover it by yourself.

Here is the link from Home of the Underdogs

Otherwise, get a copy of Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic and you might just fall in love with it.

[ 01-17-2004, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 01-17-2004, 04:51 AM   #7
the mighty stamar

KOTOR is great.

However, except for your character all of your party members are precreated.... so you start the game out making just one character. Like planescape in this area. The other party members have preset personalities and plots.

Also there are only 3 classes in the beginning. It uses basically the dungeons and dragons stats and feats and skills. But slightly simpler in that there are three classes to start with, and then different jedi classes you can change to.

So in this area it doesnt fit your criteria.
But its great.

I think the game ur looking for that is most like wizardry 8 is wizards and warriors. It is simpler than wizardry 8, but you have your guys and you create lots of different characters.

Actually on second thought... it has more time in the character screen adding points than wiz 8. You level up constantly and change classes and add stats. Maybe 40 times before the end of the game.
Other than that... MAYBE temple of elemental evil. It does have great character system. It is truly turn based, not pause based like the IE games. Its not a good game in my opinion i didnt enjoy it much. I think it fits what youre describing very well except that all it is is 40 rooms with monsters to kill. Very small and short. I think Icewind Dale 2 is much better.
So in short lol I would say wizards and warriors and next icewind dale 2. Icewind dale has sort of a linear feel to me with its story, but the characters are all yours. Its also pretty hard, its definitely the most 'pausing' of any of the IE games.
Might and magic 7 and 8 are good also for real retro. Might and magic 9 is painfully linear.

[ 01-17-2004, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: the mighty stamar ]
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Azaghal
The Magister

Paladin2000 is definitely right. Realms of Arkania should be exactly your kind of thing according to your description. Built after the very popular and (in Germany) widespread German PnP RPG "Das schwarze Auge", I loved this trilogy, when it came out a few years ago.
The storyline is very nice, same is the atmosphere (very important for a RPG IMHO), I liked the turn-based fights so much, I really had problems to adopt to the real-time fights that are standard nowadays. All three parts have their pros and cons, but find out yourself!
Old 01-31-2004, 03:29 PM   #9
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I don't know if it means anything, but in BG2, you can create your own party by going to Multiplayer, create all of your own characters, and then assign control to yourself.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you can find Wizardry 7,or even Wizardry 6 (my favorite) I think you'd love them.The grafics might not be the hottest but the gameplay is right up your alley!(according to your list of requirments)