Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2001, 10:12 PM   #1
Hawkwind
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Let me tell you this, people - the game isn't very linear. What the hell are they throwing monsters of this level at you at this point in the game? And not just one - a BUNCH of them! I really don't understand why - it's unfair, when your characters haven't reached a level to withstand this sort of assault. Most of my party are at level 6-7. It takes them about 2 seconds to die (and I mean everybody) at the hands of these damn things. They come up on you while you're fighting those Ratmen, or are occupied otherwise. My party was dead before I even SAW the Mantraps. What did everybody else do in this area? It's right near Shurugeon Castle in the second area of the game. Very frustrating.

Hawkwind
Hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:16 PM   #2
Moni

Many a player has been ambushed and wiped out by these beasts too large for Ishad N'ha AND you!

Try doing the Serpent Temple first (you need the Masque of Death from there anyway) and gain a few levels before facing off with them again.

Fire spells really "burn" them LOL and are your best bet for survival along with distance.

For safety's sake, if you can, reload a game prior to having exited the west gates and encountering them as they WILL follow you back to town where the fight becomes even deadlier...for you!

Good Luck!
: )
Moni
Old 03-28-2001, 10:18 PM   #3
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

There are several post about the Amazoni Mantraps. No one seems to like them much, those poor misunderstood weeds. (Don't get me wrong, I blasted them too.) For the most part, I usually wait until after I have gone through the serpent temple to blast them. By that time I usually have more hit points and more importantly, Burning Haze and Meteorstorm. A couple of meteorstorms do wonders for weed control.

Venus Fly Trap meets Miracle Grow = Amazoni Mantrap. If I could only get the ones I am growing to stay put, I wouldn't need a watchdog.

Knarfling

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:36 PM   #4
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh Man, does this thread bring back memories - "There must be some mistake, nothing can do THAT much damage!" Oh Yeah? Well, run fast and let them have it from a distance - its the only way to survive. Like Moni said, you may have to load a game and get some experience before treking near these Lilies. But at least know you aren't alone and they make great cole slaw! Don't give up. God speed to you and your party

Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:40 PM   #5
Moni

LOL Mammaw! Coleslaw! I never thought of it!
I bet it goes great with Worgur Burgers!

: )
Moni
Old 03-28-2001, 10:48 PM   #6
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Too bad there aren't any Giant Ants in this game. We could have a regular picnic. I suppose we will have to do with spiders and swampflies.

Would you like fries with your Worgur Burger? We can supersize it for just a couple of Gold Serpins.

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:52 PM   #7
Gaius Pecunia
Dungeon Master

Three Mantraps once had me cornered at the gates of Ishad N'ha. After receiving some comments from Wyvern, I beat them as follows:

I climbed to the top of the town gates during a time with bright daylight. Make sure your view distance is set a maximum so you can see them long before you are in THEIR range. You can hit anything with spells that you can see, even from a very far distance. Use Flamedrop or Burning Haze to keep the Mantraps from advancing too close, then hit them with your best spells. At your level, that may only be Flamestrike and Elemental Blast. I hope you have more than one wizard. I had less trouble because I had Meteorstorm and enough points to cast it twice. You can still beat them with the lower spells if they are close enough together to hit at the same time. You won't have enough time to drink Mana Potions, so make sure you have Merlin's Shield cast early and then drink the Mana potions before the Mantraps arrive.

Good Luck!

P.S. - Did you make it through the gate in the fire pits at the Crypt?
Gaius Pecunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 11:15 PM   #8
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm not kidding about this: those Mantraps encounters used to have me shaking in my seat.

------------------
Adam Mage/Warlock
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 05:57 AM   #9
Elliecat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Definately have to zap them from a distance. I didn't have very strong powers when I met them by the castle but found flamedrop kept them usefully at bay and lightning was good! What about the ones that creep up on you in the old Boogre caves when you try to get out! Hated those - had to hide round corners and zap them. Pixel the pixie "Look I said run round the corner not into it you dumb Barbarian" John the Barbarian "sorry too much Boogre juice - hic!"
Elliecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 06:10 AM   #10
Elcid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I dealt with the mantraps with the "Summon Undead" spell. The mantraps concentrated their fire on the undead and I could roast the veggies.
This is a lvl 5 fiend spell though (warlock), which you might not be able to obtain for a while.
Knarfling: You USUALLY wait till after the serpent temple? Wow, how many times did you play the game? I am still on my first try...

(edited my horrible spelling...)

[This message has been edited by Elcid (edited 03-29-2001).]
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote