Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2002, 02:00 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

I rarely ask for help concerning battle tactics, as I usually have them correct. But I keep trying to fight this fight (the one in 3rd level of Durlags, just after you have beaten all four elemental guardians)using my old party (from my last game's tactics), except they wont work.

Last time round, I summoned a hell of a lot of monsters, and lots of skeletons. Now, with my current party set up, and using only spells, this is quite hard to do.

This is my party:

Jaheira (6/6)
Khalid (7)
Minsc(7)
Kivan (7)
Dynaheir(8)
Me - Theif(8)

What tactics did you guys use? As I recall, as soon as their king is slain, I have won. But he seems to have endless amounts of hit points, I snd all I have at him. But with me not being allowed to move, and the other characters movement restricted, bar Minsc, it is hard to attack. Wand of the Heavens seems to be my best bet, along with wand of fire, and magical arrows. I also have to use the wand of monster summoning 2/3 times to get up a fodder group. Grrrrr.

This one is a doozy.

Your thoughts.....
Old 02-11-2002, 02:19 PM   #2
Sojourner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My tatics:
  • My party casts web + entangle toward far end of chest board
  • Then my party sends a volley of fireballs downrange using wands and potions.
  • My party proceeds to fill any enemy in visual range with missile weapons. (Many of them get stuck in the web/entangle.)
  • By the time the King closes with any party member, he's been weakened enough that he goes down pretty quick.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 02:21 PM   #3
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

I'm about to hit that battle myself, and have only done it once before, but I seem to recall that it was quite easy...

_LOTS_ of fireballs from wands of fire and a couple of well placed cloudkills should do the trick [img]smile.gif[/img]
antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 03:42 PM   #4
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

My tactic was, to walk with a character in the direction of the opposite side of the board, but only so far, until the first enemys start to cross the board. Then the char walks back und the rest of the party waits. The first wave is usually the pawns, which are quite easy to destroy. Just make sure they don't reach the edge of the board. Then, the next guy who came over was almost all times I fought this battle the king. And he came allone [img]smile.gif[/img] . OK, and he has a lot of HP, but against Khalid, my paladin (or Ranger during the first time), Jah and Branwen (all hasted...) he didn't last that long. And after he is history, you can go to the other side safely.
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

Ok, I've got tomorrow off from everything so I will try and defeat the king!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for your tactics.....I'll give them a whirl
Old 02-11-2002, 08:58 PM   #6
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

After buffing up on potions and cleric spells (if doable, given the constraints on movement in the back row there--are you okay just as long as you don't leave the row? I forget) have your tank gulp down a potion of absorption or have a priest cast protection from electricity on him. He should be wearing he boots of speed; and, ideally, hasted also. Send him right at the king. IIRC, once your tank absorbs a certain number of lightning bolts it becomes relatively safe for you other characters to move forward a bit and target the king with ranged weapons, wands, and spells.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:00 PM   #7
Lavindathar
Harper

Well, it's done.
I made sure everyone was fully healed.
Cast Haste, Bless and Defensive Harmony.
Jaheira cast monster summoning+1. Dynaheir used monster wand 3 times.
These interacted with the pawns. The king came into sight.
Jaheira cast entangle, Dynaheir cast web. Mincs (my king) went straight for their king. Myself and Kivan launched arrows of fire at king. Jaheria used the wand of the heavens once. He hit the dirt, and I continued.

[img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]