Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2003, 07:02 AM   #51
Grungi
Banned User

scottish and irish are NOT similar [img]tongue.gif[/img] , do i have an ear for accents or something? irish and scottish for me are glaringly different

and yeah charly its true, someone from the south can imitate accents from the north easier than the other way round, all the best impressionists are southerners, that says if you have a weaker accent to start with its much easier to switch to stronger at will. For example a northerner trying to speak french with a french accent is a hililarious sound to hear [img]smile.gif[/img] well in my experience so far it is anyway, theres always exceptions of course, but in the main your point is certainly true.

and with londoner nowadays that means about 100000 different accents cos its a cultural melting pot, but id define londoner accent as quite common, fast, uses a lot of slang words, but is not like your lock stock type cockney or really hardcore stuff, as thats pretty rare these days except in certain areas of london. The british accent in hollywood as usual is one of two, either hardcore cockney or extremly posh, its no wonder americans think thats how we all speak if they have never visited england [img]tongue.gif[/img] i know 100s of londoners but have never met one who speaks like the guys out of lock stock (especially danny john jules story bit [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) i know a few people who do have very upper class accents but thats still pretty rare too.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #52
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
And let's not start on Kiwi accents.
Wht's so bd abt k'wi accnts Mmnch? Ay bro? They the mst ntrl n the wrld. Ay Bro? You wnt me to smsh ya, Ay Bro?

Old 01-22-2003, 07:08 AM   #53
Grungi
Banned User

to be fair plenty of aussies cant tell the diff between aussie and NZ and plenty of canadians cant tell the diff between canadian and american but if they come from rural areas you tend to find its far easier to tell because the accents are more pronounced, even i could probably tell the diff then.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:18 AM   #54
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
to be fair plenty of aussies cant tell the diff between aussie and NZ and plenty of canadians cant tell the diff between canadian and american but if they come from rural areas you tend to find its far easier to tell because the accents are more pronounced, even i could probably tell the diff then.
Really? How do you come to this conclusion? I have no idea about the Canadians/Americans, but my experience would say that Aussies can usually pick a Sheepshagger.

( [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I have many Kiwi mates - all cultural ribbing is purely innocent...

[ 01-22-2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 01-22-2003, 07:24 AM   #55
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

OK... the Irish/Scots accents aren't actually all that similiar... I just realised that I was basing that on braveheart... where (probably) all the accents are put on... small wonder they sound the same there...

I am ashamed that I have only realised this after 14 years... and I'm part Scottish AND part Irish!! If anyone's interested... i am 1/16 Irish... 1/4 Scots... and 11/16 English

Probably why I can put quite a few British accents on...

[ 01-22-2003, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Callum Kerr ]
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 01-22-2003, 07:28 AM   #56
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
[QB( [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I have many Kiwi mates - all cultural ribbing is purely innocent... [/QB]
I have a few Kiwi mates too... and I know that all cultural ribbing is also purely true
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 01-22-2003, 07:29 AM   #57
Grungi
Banned User

in braveheart you should be able to tell, cos the irish guy does have a different accent from any of the scottish, quite markedly different, though remember too back then irish and scottish were more similar and had alot of ties.

and im basing my aussie vs kiwi comment on the fact i know plenty of aussies who have been to new zealand and in the cities its all pretty much the same, but in rural areas can tell easily that they arent aussies.

oh btw as for canada... which part? [img]tongue.gif[/img] they have some huge accent changes across the country, french canadians sound a fair bit different to the border canadians. So not only do you have an individuals own unique accent, then you have his locale, then his region, then his country, makes for one helluva lot of accents in the world [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 07:35 AM   #58
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

On a slightly different angle... does anyone else find the two "traditional" (i.e. movie) British accents really annoying... the "You ohright mate?" and the semi high class (Can't think of a good example) Ironically... I like the REALLY exaggerated ones... the "Oh I say, old chap, play fair..." And the heavy whatever it is... which I am not going to even attempt... I like most Brit accents...

I also dislike the "traditional" cheerleader Anerican, and the just "American accent"... unfortuanately I have one of the later at school... just sets my teeth on edge...

There... now someone at least is mad at me...

I am sorry...
Old 01-22-2003, 07:37 AM   #59
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
in braveheart you should be able to tell, cos the irish guy does have a different accent from any of the scottish, quite markedly different, though remember too back then irish and scottish were more similar and had alot of ties.

and im basing my aussie vs kiwi comment on the fact i know plenty of aussies who have been to new zealand and in the cities its all pretty much the same, but in rural areas can tell easily that they arent aussies.

oh btw as for canada... which part? [img]tongue.gif[/img] they have some huge accent changes across the country, french canadians sound a fair bit different to the border canadians. So not only do you have an individuals own unique accent, then you have his locale, then his region, then his country, makes for one helluva lot of accents in the world [img]smile.gif[/img]
I was actually saying I don't know how the Americans and Canadians rate with picking each other's accents. Us Aussies, not being the centre of worthwhile civilisation, tend to know a few basic facts about the world around us...

[ 01-22-2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 01-22-2003, 07:52 AM   #60
Grungi
Banned User

i think aussies are one of the main leading civilisations going along with the uk, the us, canada and european countries.

and the us and canada dont rate too highly on detecting each others accents, but as i say theres a huge amount of variations in both countries not only from state to state but from region to region within the states, so depends where they go. If you could break down an average accent from both countries you'd find it to be relatively similar i think.

and yeah callum thats what i was saying, its very annoying to see the repeated stereotyping of the uk in hollywood, i wouldnt mind if it was "just film" but the sad thing is it forms the basis for a countries opinions (not all but a large proportion) so plenty of americans still truly believe british businessmen in london still wear bowler hats and speak with nasal upper class accents, whilst the rest have obscene cockney accents that noone can understand. Lock stock and snatch didnt help much in dispelling that image [img]tongue.gif[/img] and they were english films, doh [img]smile.gif[/img] i can do a cockney and i can do an upper class accent but my normal accent isnt even a cross between the two of them its pretty different from both.