Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2000, 07:08 PM   #1
Satyre

Now this one really irritates me:

I am soloing with a fighter/mage/thief and every time I get hit with a maze spell I get the message "your main character has been killed.

Like hell.. I know that there is no save for maze and spell immunity doesn't seem to work either. However my character has 19 intelligence, which means that the maze effect should last for 1d4 rounds!!!!

So why should I get the main-chatacter-killed message??? That's absurd.

Opinions anyone?

Old 12-21-2000, 07:15 PM   #2
Suul-Yinn

Are you sure it isn't imprisonment as the spells are similar?

Old 12-21-2000, 08:55 PM   #3
Satyre

I dont think it was...

if I remember correctly, each time it has happened I have seen the message XY casts maze: Lazarus (me)
and the four walls of the maze cage spring up around me and its good night from me. Plus spell immunity works just fine against imprisonment but apparently not against maze (???)

The ones who have done this to me were:
1) The wimpy mage in the jewel of imprisonment in the underdark (who is documented somewhere in a walkthrough as casting Maze
2) One of the cannibal halfling mages from the planar sphere, which I have just whipped into submission in chapter 6.

Hmmm I think my solo character is starting to get a little too powerful... with the exception of this maze spell and bad luck I stomp most things.

Timestop is a good way to defeat dragons, btw. a couple of lower resistances (need 2) greater malaison and finger of death... now that is satisfying!!! raise my middle finger, utter: Die! and watch that mean ol' dragon just keel over dead. That's how life oughta be : )

Old 12-21-2000, 09:02 PM   #4
Armisael

This happened once to me, but not from either of the people you mentioned. I think the mage out of the Underdark crystal casts imprisonment, but I'm damn sure those Elder Orbs cast maze, and it had the death effect on my character.

Old 12-22-2000, 12:41 AM   #5
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Elder Orbs have only cast Imprisonment on me, Never maze.( oh, the reloads...) They do throw a death ray that will kill you if you are already wounded, kinda like power word kill, only you get a save. If you have the Cloak of kicking beholder ass then this isn't an issue, as you reflect it back.(hehehe)
Maze has never killed anyone in my party on the dozen or so times I encountered it. A turn or two past and they come right back where they started.

Perhaps the protaginist is considered "dead" even though it's only a mere maze spell. I dont recall specifically if any of my protaginists were ever mazed. ( I kinda remember my first one, a fighter, being mazed once maybe?)I mainly remember just NPCs.(Minsc rushed into to that one how many times?) So I dont know about that...
Old 12-22-2000, 02:44 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

For those of you who don't know, if you are soloing maze is FATAL.
Old 12-22-2000, 07:20 AM   #7
Satyre

Thanks Memnoch... I wasn't hallucinating!

But that's still complete and utter crap... why should a Maze be fatal when you are soloing? Somehow I just don't quite see the logic in this.
I mean, there is not much you can do except stay out of range or kill the caster before he casts Maze, because spell immunity against conjuration/summoning is ineffective. Sure, it works against Imprisonment but not against Maze. Also wierd...

But soloing is just so much fun...

Old 12-22-2000, 11:21 AM   #8
Magness
Quintesson

I've had this happen to me as well, but in a somewhat different situtation. My paladin (Magness) was wearing the Cloak of Mirroring and clearing out the Beholder Dungeon in the Underdark by himself (I had left the others at the dungeon's entrance). He ran into the elder orb and was mazed. I, too, got the death message. (I was really pissed. After the reload, the only beholder that got Magness' complete and undivided attention was the Elder Orb.)

However, I've also had my PC mazed before without dying.

I think the key point is that if your character is mazed and effectively alone at the time, you're toast. If your NPC's (if you have any) are in vicinity, you'll return.
Old 12-22-2000, 07:19 PM   #9
Armisael

That's the exact same situation I was in, Magness. I've also had my character mazed without dying, but when that elder orb pulled one over on me, apparently I was dead and gone. I didn't think this game used party proximity, but there you go.

Old 12-22-2000, 08:22 PM   #10
Satyre

Do you all think it's a little unfair that not even spell immunity works against maze...

after all, the damn spell is called spell IMMUNITY... and not "Spell immunity against all spells of a given school with the exception of Maze with you can do nohting about and if you don't loke it go home and cry to mummy or whine about it on a news-board"

...oops I am whining about it on a news board... chalk one up for the bad guys I guess.

And I suppose there has to be something which cna slow my soloist down... hell that black dragon barely had time to strike up a conversation before my timestop, dragonslayer/equalizer combo for dragon sushi, lower resistance and powerword kill made a short story outta him.

Poor dragon... at least liches still provide me with amusement.