Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
limeyman25
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Can anyone help me with my party? I have:
1xPaladin
1xRanger
1xFighter
1xThief
1xMage
1xCleric

But this combination isn't working
Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2003, 08:04 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Can you say why you don't think this party is working for you? One thing about IWD is that a slew of people have tried tons of different party combinations and many, many, many have worked. Do you think it might be your game/fighting tactics? Here is the party that I made and it did very well.

Half-elf Ranger (should have made him a straight fighter; Rangers take too long to level up)

Dwarf Fighter

Human Cleric - I thought he was going to be the plain old vanilla PC of the group. Boy was I wrong! His high levels were so important to the group's survival)

Hafling Fighter/Thief

Gnome Cleric/Illustionist (absolutely a great party support combination; saved my butt more times than I can count)

Elf Fighter/Magic User (no specialty class, just straight up mage which worked miracles with my Gnome; also saved my butt countless times)

* Look at it this way: 4 fighters (make sure all have bows); 2 Clerics; 2 Magic Users, and a Thief. Nice combination.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:38 AM   #3
limeyman25
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yeah i guess It's a bit stupid to ask...Ill just have to keep trying
Old 05-18-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I don't think it is a stupid question at all. I would stress, however, that it probably has more to do with your tactics than anything. One of the best advices I can give you is to run away and heal and come back to fight another dy.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:16 PM   #5
Midget Gems

Yes, we're here to help so don't be afraid to ask. Tell us more about which area you are in and what equipment you are using, cos a first glance your party looks well balanced.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:58 AM   #6
Duke Hereward
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with Midget - my first run I took:

2 x fighter
1 x paladin (boy I love these guys / gals)
1 x cleric
1 x mage
1 x thief

As long as you cover all the bases you should be fine. Just follow the rule of some good tanks to keep up front, some people to fire off arrows and stuff just behind (my thief with a bow and my cleric with a nice sling) and then pop in the magic as and when needed. I must admit I'm not a greta fun of the darker arts - its useful alright but I much prefer heading straight into the fray and dealing out punishment with the boys up front!!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:15 AM   #7
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

If i may give a suggestion.

You might think of making your thief a thief/mage multi. Thiefs and mages aren't as usefull, imo, as they were in the BG series. They have their uses, but only minor. That would free up a slot for a druid or fighter/druid. Druids are very good in this game.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:42 AM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

try a ranger dual classed to cleric.... dual class from level 4... this will give you:
_ability to cast both druid and cleric spells
_abilty to put 2 proficiencies in maces, hammers, slings (or clubs)
_18/## strength
Old 05-20-2003, 09:37 AM   #9
Lymond
Manshoon

I agree with the first couple of replies, that it's probably your strategy. The party you listed sounds well rounded enough.

Are you getting stuck at a certain point? Are characters dying in almost every fight? Have you played a multi-character rpg before, where you select the specific attack for each character and switch it throughout the fight? I ask because that was my problem when I first started playing and it took a little bit to get the rhythm of the game down.

Lymond
Old 07-01-2003, 05:49 PM   #10
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:
If i may give a suggestion.

You might think of making your thief a thief/mage multi. Thiefs and mages aren't as usefull, imo, as they were in the BG series. They have their uses, but only minor. That would free up a slot for a druid or fighter/druid. Druids are very good in this game.
Agree with the idea to not a have a pure thief, the multiple damage might be nice but it's nicer with a dualed thief/fighter, just be sure to atleast have a backstab damage of atleast X3 before dualing, IMO.