Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2000, 01:28 PM   #1
ollie

Bad weather=no work and I stay home to play W&W. Come to find out I shoulda gone into work and froze my arse off rather than trying to figure out this game.
Maybe its just me, but Im no newbei to RPGs. Done all the M&Ms and BGs and a few others I would have to say that this game is at the bottom of my list. Whats the point in playing a game if all it does is frastrate you to the point of rather freezing your arse off in the snow working outside! Dunno, maybe I have cabin fever!
I purchased the "Official Strategy Guide" along with the game because I got a 20% on it. I should take the blasted thing back a get my money back including the 20% that I saved cause its about worthless. Ive spent more time reading the boards trying to figure what the "Official Strategy Guide" is saying than actually reading the "Official Strategy Guide"(kinda mocking the "Official Strategy Guide" at this point if you havent figured it out yet!) It did have its uses a few times, but with the elevator puzzle, the gargoyle switch puzzle and just recently the lift puzzle in Skull castle its fallen just a bit short of the "Official Strategy Guide" thats on the cover.
I never had any problems with any of the other rpgs that I have played in the past. Never have I had to create favs on my browser to 3 different forums just to figure out how to play a game in my life, nothing even close to it. Never have I visited a forum to figure out a game of any kind.

Am I getting old and losing my mind or is this game pretty d*mned hard to figure out?

the reason for my venting is this blasted bridge over the lava to get relic for the lich. theres some swithc somewhere and Ill be d*mned if I can find it
Whens the next M&M coming out, time to shelf this one I think.
Old 12-14-2000, 01:34 PM   #2
Serath
Manshoon

I'm not sure if there is a switch for the walkway. When I got to that point, I just used the lavawalk spell and grabbed the chest and moved it to where I could open it safely. It never occured to me to go looking for a switch... Relying too much on magic, I guess.

Serath
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 01:49 PM   #3
ExtremistBruce

There are several unbelievably frustrating places-- the Amazoni Man-Eaters outside Shurugen castle, the Gauntlet in the Boogre Prison, and the Lava Bridge. There are also, in my opinion, two killer problems with the interface: it is very difficult to target small creatures with the mouse, and the automaps are close to worthless.

You are correct that the strategy guide stinks. There are literally dozens of things that would be nice to know that aren't included (the mathematics of the attributes, the relationship between guild levels and skill/trait training, an accurate description of how to do role ascensions, a discussion of what the HELL the different icons mean in the character portraits), and the walkthrough is misleading and inadequate. I am especially offended by the list of quest items that does not say anything about what they do, where they're found, and what they're used for. It is as if somebody told the guy the game was a dead end and he shouldn't spend a lot of time on it.

Nonetheless, there is a lot to like about this game-- the wide choice of clans and roles, the guild system, the cool spells, the rapid regeneration of hit and spell points, the turn-based combat, the ethical bias, and much more-- and my hope is that there's a Wizards and Warriors 2 that will fix the flaws and be even more fun to play.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:03 PM   #4
sumbitch

Yo Ollie- Chill out man!! Repeat after me "it's only a game, it's only a game" Yeah it is a little frustrating. I didn't buy the hint book and any hints I've needed I've found on this board. You should try the search feature if you haven't done so already. I had to start a new game for the third time recently. I was cruising along with the first game, finished the serphent temple and my cd rom crapped out. So while I was waiting for HP to send me a new computer (under warranty) I started another game on another computer so I wouldn't be to bored. Got my new computer in record time so I started again for the third time. I just killed Raskillion last night and tonight I'll be looking for the lava lakes. Now I'm a little leary about that because I don't have the lava walk spell that I've seen mentioned. It might be a good time for the wife and kids to go out because I might be a little cranky.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:18 PM   #5
xenotoca

sorry to have to say this but its you. I too have played many of the games you are on about and found W&W to be up there among the rest of them. Some of the leftovers from planned but never implemented multiplayer mode such as the multipule conversations are a little frustrating and yes the interface is diferent but if you have reached Skull castle then (a) you should have it pretty well figured, I know I had by my third trip to the crypt to meet the mummy. (b) Any game that is as bad as you are making out you would have given up playing long before skull castle.
Reports of it being bug ridden were also overexaggerated as yes there were some bugs but you could play and complete the game as it stood (more than you can say for Daggerfall in its original incarnation and dont even mention Ultima Ascension) the biggest trouble being the internal wrangling between HPI and Activision over a patch. Lucky that HP listened to the game players and made an unofficial patch.

If you want to swell Primas coffers thats up to you but all the help you ever need is on this board.
Old 12-14-2000, 11:56 PM   #6
thoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yep, it's you. Down the hall a bit is a switch behind some crates that fixes the bridge over the lava. You don't need lavawalk or any athletic skills. It shows up on the spirit eye, and a little earlier in the game you are carefully shown a more exposed switch behind crates so you will get the idea.
thoon is offline   Reply With Quote