Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2001, 10:31 AM   #1
GarethDragonsbane
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Possible SPoiler..
After numerous attempts at defeating Frikkag (and getting slaughtered) I finally opted for the chese tactic of having my cleric cast "magic resistance" on him, which lowered his resistance from god knows what to virtually nothing. For this spell to work my cleric had to close to point blank range, and the speell had a long casting time, at least a round, it would seem. With his resistance lowered Frikkag was hardly a challence. A few sequenced magic missiles from Edwin, Aerie, and Nalia dropped him cold. I felt no satisfactoin in the kill because I felt I had cheated old Frikkag. One would think that an ancient red dragon of genious intelligence would go hostile as soon as Aerie started to cast magic resistance on him. I hope in ToB they improve the dragon's responsiveness to these cheap tactics. The dragon should be intelligent enough to realise that no spell being cast at him be the party is meant to be beneficial.
Old 05-08-2001, 10:54 AM   #2
koz-ivan
Manshoon

you would prefer to still be stck in his lair tyring strategy after strategy i presume?

and theirin lies the kicker, you control your own game, want to use cheese tactics, go for it. its your game. and if you want to do it all the hard way that's also up to you, nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to cast magic resistance, don't blame them.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:04 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

you want a stupid stategy? just like wat the duktinator i think, said, dont let your characters be seen by the old crone, then throw multiple cloudkills(around six). the wand ayt?! if its the spell, its will just say "magic resistance. nada. if you cast one and wait until its gone for the next one, he'll just heal himself...

------------------

I am Bahamut... and this Chiharu.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:06 AM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

That's strange. Whenever I cast lower res on him he immediately went hostile. I had to summon creatures to distract him and THEN cast lower res. Anyway, in TOB they are fixing the AI making many of the cheese tactics obsolete. Dragons will now turn hostile if u start settting traps around them and they will be able to deal with the wand of cloudkill tactic as well.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:12 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

no no no... when you cast a "friendly" magic res. not a lower res...

------------------

I am Bahamut... and this Chiharu.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:39 AM   #6
GarethDragonsbane
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Vaskez: I put in quotes "magic resistance" so people would know i was not refering to the smililar spell lower resistance. Regardless of the spell's nature, Frikkag should be intelligent to realize the adventures are up to no good.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:54 AM   #7
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

I believe that as the "Magic Resistance" spell is technically considered a defensive spell, the dragon AI does not kick off.

If I recall from my wanderings on the Black Isle boards, the designers are making lots of changes to dragon AI. I believe that one of these changes is to have them go hostile upon any sort of spell casting. Someone correct me if you know better...but I'm fairly certain on this...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-08-2001, 12:31 PM   #8
Cayle
The Magister

I used the magic resistance on the Shadow Dragon, but there you have the wardstone, so it is not comparable.

With Firkagg, I agree about him realizing you are up to no good. How to fix this: have someone fire an arrow at him while you are casting. He will go red and the practical effect will be the same as if he had realized what you were casting. Now, if the cleric survives the round is another question...

------------------
- Cayle
Old 05-09-2001, 05:53 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Changes are being made to dragon AI in ToB to make them a lot more battle-savvy.

------------------
Old 05-09-2001, 07:41 AM   #10
Lord Shield

Yep. Laying tonnes of traps around them will NOT work. However, you can guarantee we CAN come up with some more cheese
"The tighter you squeeze, the more water leaks out"