Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
TheLost
Welcomed New User

Okay, I tried searching some relevant terms and came up empty so I guess I need to start a thread.

I've had NWN for forever and just recently started playing it again. I played it all through a couple times and was remembering what made it all so great in the first place when the Update button caught my eye, so I figured I'd try it because I hadn't played in so long and figured there might be new patches despite the fact I didn't have any playability issues.

Soooooo it updates me from v.8048 to v.8099 (not sure what actual version but it is V1.68 now but I noted these above numbers during the updating process) and now I have cloaks but also the game is crashing with extreme regularity. Now I know I have some large programs running in the background and I may have to turn that work off to play but he fact is that it wasn't an issue before v.8099 so I'm at a loss as to why it is such a huge problem now. In all seriousness, I'm having the game crash out every 15-20 minutes whereas I used to be able to play for hours straight without a hiccup.

Is there a way to un-update the game? Or am I stuck with this piece of sh!t now? Is this their way of forcing me to play NWN2 against my will?

Thanks in advance,

TheLost

[ 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: TheLost ]
TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

You can find a revert patch by selecting the 'previous version' option which applies to your system here.
It only drops you back one patch, otherwise you may need a reinstall.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

(I'm having the same trouble but as I only play EfU now, I can pretty much predict which levels/areas will crash. Although, I must admit some days, it seems as if I really shouldn't play at all if I were to judge by the number of unexpected crashes.....)
Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I've been having random crashes and been able to stop them by uninstalling the windows updates (you can do so in "add/remove programs" in Control panel after putting a check in the "show updates" option).
Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
TheLost
Welcomed New User

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I tried the revert patch (9099 to 9083) and now I get the game crashing when trying to load up (which is a new one even for me) and the crashing during the game hasn't really changed much. I don't know what they did but it certainly wasn't good, so I guess the only option left is to copy the save files and then a reinstall of Platinum.

Thanks anyways,

TheLost
Old 03-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I updated after a years-long haitus from the game, but never had any crashes the entire time, playing through all three games. I just wanted to mention it, that the patch itself is not buggy, but maybe the download you got was a tiny bit corrupted.

Also, I bought my nephews the Platinum edition for Christmas '06 and I inlcuded a CD with the newest patch on it. They're computer is the oldest and most basic I've ever seen to work, but they have had no crashes.

[ 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 03-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I guess I should go through this as well, not that it should really be pertinent, other than some discrepancies, but do you have either CEP installed to your game? There was an issue with tridents after 1.67, and there were some issues after cloaks as well, in 1.68, I believe. If you have either of these .hak files, you should probably update them as well. I have all three games installed on this rig, and it is a bit over 4 years old, and I play online exclusively, and I don't have the problem of random crashes. I do have some crash issues in EfU, but that's going to be more the system I'm playing on than the game itself. I'd look into those issues as well, if you have the haks installed. CEP did update their stuff to be compatible with Bioware's latest patches.

Also, point to order, Bioware could care less if you play NWN 2, since they didn't develop it. Atari has nothing to do with the production of patches, other than to say yes, we will fund it, or no we won't. Other than that, Bioware's live team is responsible for NWN's patches, and over the last 5 years or so, those guys have done a bang up job.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by TheLost:
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I tried the revert patch (9099 to 9083) and now I get the game crashing when trying to load up (which is a new one even for me) and the crashing during the game hasn't really changed much. I don't know what they did but it certainly wasn't good, so I guess the only option left is to copy the save files and then a reinstall of Platinum.

Thanks anyways,

TheLost
for reinstalling NWN (if you have the hard drive space)

1) rename the NWN directory you have now to NWN-bland
2) reinstall NWN
3) update your installation (the new one)
4) try playing that one to see if it crashes
5) if it no longer crashes, move all your save games to the new directory

if you don't have that kind of hard drive space...

I) rename the NWN directory
II) delete everything in the main directory, leaving your save game directory as well as your module directory
III) do steps 2) through 5) from the previous list
IV) check for any discrepencies
V) check modules through NWVault to see if there are newer versions of each of them
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
TheLost
Welcomed New User

Damn, this thing is becoming an epic for me.....

Thanks for the other suggestions after my last post but I ended up doing a clean reinstall and then copied over the save files I had set aside (not trusting the uninstall to do it properly). Everything went back to normal and things were great, even though I couldn't get save games from SoU to load but I thought that might've been a throwback to my updating problems yet I could live with it as they were vanity saves (you know, right before some fun fights).

Now I've finished NWN again and tried to start a SoU campaign and I seem unable to do so. I click on New, then SoU campaign, chapter 1 (which is the only one available since I reinstalled), then it asks if I want to generate a new character or select a premade. I select premade and it starts loading the module but will crash at about 70% of the way through (music starts to loop a 1 second interval and the error reporting window eventually pops up). Now, I've tried another clean install, updating it to v1.68, un-updating to v1.67, and creating a new character for all of them, and nothing seems to allow me to start a SoU game (which I now figure is why those other save games wouldn't load). To cap it off, I also realize that before the problems that started this thread I had installed my Platinum game over a Gold version of SoU, so is it possible that my Platinum disks have been defective for SOU all this time and just never realized it?

Just figured some of you wanted to hear the ongoing soap opera that is my video gaming problems and maybe get in on the ground floor.

TheLost
Old 04-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Wow...your username is so fitting! I hope we can get you UNlost someday. I am lost myself as to what is going on with your game...but I am left wondering why you chose to roll back to v1.67 after a clean install, unless I am reading your description incorrectly. Also, I assume that when you discovered that you had installed the Platinum over the Gold...that you did a clean install of Platinum only after you removed the Gold also? Are you saying that the Gold version of SoU worked in the past, and you've never had the Platinum version work? Is there anyway in this world that you could install this game on another PC and test it out?

My personal opinion is that there is still some clutter somewhere left over from the Gold install or maybe from a bad Platinum install and you have not cleaned it all out yet, including the registry and whatever little bits of files might still be floating about.
I assume that your system specs is beyond the minimun requirements.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote