Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

The United Nations Security Council in New York just passed a resolution (No1564) on Sudan, adopting the US draft. This resolution got 11 votes and 4 abstentions. Here are few important notes:

1. The ambassador of Algeria, representing the Arab League, Abdallah Baali, rejected the resolution. It is to note that M Baali has also rejected the previous UN resolution 1556 on Sudan. This shows that the Arab League bloc, represented by Baali is attempting to block all UN resolutions that could end up in interventions. Diplomatic sources explained the reasons why. The Algerian representative also rejected UNSCR no 1559, voted two weeks ago, calling on Syria to withdraw from Lebanon.

2. The Russian ambassador called for the disarming of the Janjawid. An interesting position showing the new Russian position regarding the Jihadist groups around the world.

3. More importantly, in the pro-al Qaida chat rooms, the vote and the discussions were followed closely. After the vote took place, a Jihadi room leader said "this is an attack against Islam. We must respond!" Which raises the Terror factor in Sudan. The Jihadis will try to use religion, but the African factor is stronger.

4. Today of the people of Darfur and Sudan have just won a battle.

http://iafrica.com/news/worldnews/348255.htm
http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?f...icleId=2231304 (a similar article, with some minorly different additional info)

a quick web search for reactions should prove most enlightening. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-20-2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 09-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yeah, that's what's needed -- a resolution. Wait'll they suffer the grim fate of a piece of paper waived in their general direction!!

Sorry, I drank an extra helping of my Cynical Juice with breakfast this morning.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

*chuckle* my reaction as well, but at least the UN isn't ignoring the problem anymore (unlike the last 18+ months it's been going on), even if nothing will come of it but much finger waggling and stern glares.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 AM   #4
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, much more could be done by the UN if it had its own standing army.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Really? And what might that be?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:54 AM   #6
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
quote:
Really? And what might that be? [/QUOTE]Why, forcefully removing the government of any Nation that opposes UN resolutions and instituting new leadership sympathetic to UN ideology within said Nation of course [img]smile.gif[/img] You're familiar with this sort of practice as a US soldier I take it?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:04 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Technically, it does have armies. Coalitions of it's member states can act in accordance to resolutions. For example, The U.N. flag flew side-by-side the South Korean flag after the south was reclaimed. The N.K. was beaten back by multi-national forces flying the U.N. banner in the beginning of the Korean War.

However imperfect the U.N. at least we can idealize the fact that it has the word "united" in it's title. Making it at least seem like being "united" is something we Earth folks actually strive to do. Recent times suggest the word rings hollow. It looks good on paper, "united" but like a bad dream real life is full of hand calculated long division. Or its just the political season and I am rambling.... [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

[ 09-21-2004, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-21-2004, 02:13 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Why, forcefully removing the government of any Nation that opposes UN resolutions and instituting new leadership sympathetic to UN ideology within said Nation of course [img]smile.gif[/img]
Not any or every Nation that opposes UN resolutions though!

And as a mere taxpaying U.S. citizen that does sound familiar to me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I do wonder... What the hell actually is the U.N. Ideaology? I betcha it has crazy ideals like democracy and human rights and due process. Just guessin.

[ 09-21-2004, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-21-2004, 04:05 AM   #9
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Technically, it does have armies. Coalitions of it's member states can act in accordance to resolutions. For example, The U.N. flag flew side-by-side the South Korean flag after the south was reclaimed. The N.K. was beaten back by multi-national forces flying the U.N. banner in the beginning of the Korean War.
Mmmm, yes, international coalition forces have certainly operated effectively under a UN banner in the past. But by standing army I meant a permanent, maintained military force loyal only to the UN General Assembly/Security council, not to individual Nation States; in the vein discussed here.

[ 09-21-2004, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 09-21-2004, 08:56 AM   #10
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Why, forcefully removing the government of any Nation that opposes UN resolutions and instituting new leadership sympathetic to UN ideology within said Nation of course [img]smile.gif[/img]
Not any or every Nation that opposes UN resolutions though!

And as a mere taxpaying U.S. citizen that does sound familiar to me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I do wonder... What the hell actually is the U.N. Ideaology? I betcha it has crazy ideals like democracy and human rights and due process. Just guessin.
[/QUOTE]If that's their ideology they fail on a number of levels, look at the countries on their humans rights commision, look at how they turn a blind eye to the atrocities committed by dictators, or "scold them vigorously" with one hand while taking money from them with the other.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote