Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2002, 07:23 PM   #21
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

Well Sir, you seem a promising adept.
Follow the fifth amendment and spread the truth in this den of sinners. For free beer i suggest you brew your own, to begin with. Living in Las Vegas, sex should not be a problem for you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you do a good job, i'll promote you Grand Vicar of Nevada. If you do reeeaaallly good, i'll give you a 10% share of the benefits (to be used for the Church, of course).

You can send all your worldly possessions to:

Messiah Flibulzbuth
1, Ten thousand bikinis Beach
Paradise Island,
Bahamas
Old 05-15-2002, 11:23 PM   #22
Azred
Drow Priestess

How about this? Instead of "the end is near", try the end has already passed. That's right, folks--the world ended last month, but you're all so uninitiated and blind that you 1) don't notice and 2) don't care! I have the truth! We are all in paradise right now but you cling to the old, material world, thus create your own reality! blah, yak, spiel.... [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:01 AM   #23
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
The only thing that's frightening about this is that there are actually nutcases out there that believe this spew and continue to perpetuate it.

-Sazerac
For Christians, there has always been belief and there has always been anticipation.
What is so frightening about people speaking their truth the way they see it? Let the fanatics say their peace as it is their place to do so according to their religion. At least they are giving warning rather than threats!
They're not bombing our buildings or poisoning our neighbors!

Their point is to be ready. Whether or not they have their sources and dates confused shouldn't matter to people who have concern of their place in an afterlife...those people will find their own truth on their own journey and these sites serve as a catapult to get some people off their asses and at the altar. I certainly wouldn't want to be judged for speaking harshly about the fanatics who create these sites as a warning for people to get their souls in order. More people need to care about everyone else and IIRC that was one of the points made was it not?

Personally I have my own opinions of what's already happened and what will or may happen concerning "The End Of The World" but I wouldn't sit here and preach it to any of you since we all have our own truths and our own destinies, however if I ever created a website to share it with other Christians and potential Christians, it'd break my heart to see it rejected this way and confirm the hate of man against man that is all so prevalent in our society already.
Peace

Old 05-16-2002, 02:33 AM   #24
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Is it a warning? It seems like they are saying the victims of 9-11 had it coming because they are sinners.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:46 AM   #25
Moni

Not all of the "victims" of 9-11 are now dead people...this whole country suffered as did others around the world...they are saying that America is a target for God's wrath and why shouldn't they if that's what they believe? All throughout my childhood I had been preached to that New York City (as the sin capital of this country) would be the first to sufffer the wrath of God by falling into the Atlantic. Now would it be coarse of me to say better a few buildings than the whole city or to say that I see it as an act of terrorism by Muslims against the capitalist freedom that America stands for?
Would it matter now?

Old 05-16-2002, 08:35 AM   #26
Vampire

What a load of *********************

China behind Sept 11 Attacks

Old 05-16-2002, 08:55 AM   #27
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well spoken, Moni.

I agree that the site was pretty much "over-the-top" on the doomsday scale, but the Bible does instruct us on the signs of the End Times, and there are many events occurring today that could easily fit the definition of those signs.

She believes the Horsemen were "set loose in 1999" - I would like to know what event she was actually referring to, but she never mentions that.

The other thing that REALLY bothered me about this thread was the very first Response.

Sazerac, I was extremely disappointed to see you refer to this person as "a nutcase". That set the tone for others to do the same thing. The ideas on the site may be extreme, but they are founded in the same religion that I follow, and I agree with the general message overall.

How would you feel if I had called the Wiccans who tried to "sacrifice" a ceremonial chocolate bunny in a fondue pot a "bunch of nutcases". I disagree with their religion and did find that particular point to be a bit silly, but I still defended their right to conduct their ceremony as they saw fit and spoke out against the actions of the Christians that disrupted the ceremony.

See this thread for details - Pagan group seeks hate crime against Christians

As an IW member, you have a right to express your opinion as you see fit; but as a Moderator, you have to be careful about how you say it. It's far too easy for other members to take the words of a Moderator as implied consent to ridicule a specific group or belief system.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:14 AM   #28
Donut
Jack Burton

No matter how you wrap it up.

Complete and utter nutcase!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-16-2002, 11:51 AM   #29
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Cerek, Mods can post personal opinions and they aren't necessarily indicative of the administrations standpoint or official IW policy unless that is mentioned in the post.

As a Christian, I deplore extremist stuff like this. The so called 'signs' are frequently used to fire up people and create panic. But if we listen to the words of Christ, we cannot, and will not, know when he is to come again. He will come 'as a thief in the night', in other words, he isn't going to ring us up and announce his schedule!

So I don't pay much attention to 'end of the world' scenarios claiming to be bible-based or Christian. I think alot of people forget that this sort of thing has been going on for decades. There's always someone or some group claiming NOW is the end time. I remember my priest mentioned one group that actually stripped naked, climbed a mountain and sat around at the end of a year convinced they'd be involved in the Rapture because all the 'end' signs were there. [img]tongue.gif[/img] As I recall, they were mighty embarassed and very quiet then next day as the world continued and Christ didn't come for them.

[ 05-16-2002, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-16-2002, 01:31 PM   #30
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Cerek, Mods can post personal opinions and they aren't necessarily indicative of the administrations standpoint or official IW policy unless that is mentioned in the post.
I agree, Cloudy. What I objected to was the use of the word "nutcase" because it did set the tone for the next few Responses. While it may not reflect official IW policy, it certainly "loosens the reins" a bit when a Moderator uses that type of terminology. That encourages others to be a little less restrained in their responses also.

Quote:
As a Christian, I deplore extremist stuff like this. The so called 'signs' are frequently used to fire up people and create panic. But if we listen to the words of Christ, we cannot, and will not, know when he is to come again. He will come 'as a thief in the night', in other words, he isn't going to ring us up and announce his schedule!
Again, I agree with you. Sites like this just open the Christian religion up for unnecessary criticism. I've also been around long enough to see several "doomsdays" come and go. My point was that this persons site (however extreme) is still rooted in the Bible. By calling her a "nutcase" on this forum (where there have already been some strong "anti-Christian" opinions posted), it opens the door for even stronger opinions to be posted and gives an "implied consent" to include name-calling in those posts.