Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2002, 09:30 PM   #31
Moni

Nah, I don't think lotion qualifies, unless perhaps its that temporary wrinkle-removing lotion

I haven't had any complaints (from people whose opinions I respect) about the little amount of make-up that I wear or don't. I even had a friend of my ex's ask me once when I was wearing make-up if I was...he said it only made a slight difference in my looks and that I really didn't need it at all. That made me feel really good considering I was already over 35 at the time.

Old 09-08-2002, 09:34 PM   #32
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

Makeup is fine as long as it isn't excessive, like this really fat girl whgo sat beside me in math last year. She had blue, red, yellow and purple eyeshadow on all at once, in different layers. That, hot pink lipstick, and about 200 extra pounds gave her a shocking resemblance to a clown. [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:37 PM   #33
Moni

LMAO
That reminded me of a girl from school last semester who would wear red, blue and yellow eye shadow in thin, multiple vertical stripes...that was the only make-up she wore (not school colors either).
I never did have the courage to ask her what she was protesting.

Old 09-08-2002, 09:39 PM   #34
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well I'm half and half on this subject. I have always liked wearing makeup, of course I like to paint and like colors so that may play into it LOL. When I was a teen I really got into learning how to use makeup in a way that wasn't garish, but not totally natural either. Dunno I just look so much better with it, and therefore my confidence is boosted, and I just feel better throughout the day. Kinda like having a good hair day, if you are having a bad one, you have this underlying feeling of low confidence, you don't want anyone to look at you, so don't feel like socializing, etc. I really went off with the eyeshadow when I was a teen LOL. When I look back now it is a bit embarrassing LOL, I've toned my makeup down waaaay more than what I used to wear. I gave up the foundation and the eyeshadow, even the blush, only wear eyeliner and maskara now, maybe if it is a special occasion I'll toss in some blush and lipstick. But one thing, I don't feel I HAVE to wear it, I feel fine going out of the house without any makeup on. Used to be like those women you spoke of Moni, never leaving the house without it? But when I was 18 met this really hunky guy in an elevator where I lived (highrise), and there was a convenience store on the lower level, I thought I could quickly slip down there and get some coffee, was sooo embarrassed when that cute guy stepped in the elevator. I mean not only no makeup, hair was unbrushed and I tossed on some RED sweatpants and a GREEN t-shirt to boot! He asked me out LOL! From that point on I stopped feeling so bad about not wearing makeup. And shite, now at this point in my life, I just don't give a shite as much. I wear makeup when I go to work (unfortunately when working in offices you get a LOT more respect from everyone, male and female, if you look good and dress well, I don't like it and think it is unfair, but that is the way it is, and I have no choice but to play the game so to speak). Funny enough, I've been at my job since 1989, and I remember when I first interviewed for the job, I was rejected because the hiring secretary there didn't like the fact that my nail polish was chipped! No kidding! But apparently whoever they hired in place of me didn't work out, and so by default I got the job. Now soon I will be the only secretary there, as everyone else has left, and neither one of my bosses notices or could give a flying fig what I'm wearing or what I look like, as long as I get the job done, which is the way it should be. Otherwise when I'm not at work or going to a special occasion, I don't wear makeup, and don't really give a flying crap what anyone thinks about it in the malls, or stores, restaurants, or in public in general. I can't tell you how many hairdressers pine to chop all my hair off, deem my hair "out of style", etc., but screw what they think! I've had my hair the same way since I was a teenager, hey I like it that way, and it pleases ME, that is all I care about, I'm not here to serve or please others, F*&* them, I'm not going to look like what "they" think I should look like, espcially if I hate it, it is ME who has to look in the mirror every day, not them. Geez my mom gave me a SHAG and a Dorothy Hamill haircut when I was growing up, so I know what it is like to hate what you see in the mirror cause of someone else's tastes. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-08-2002, 09:56 PM   #35
Moni

Ladyzekke,
You Go Girl!
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
You are one of those women beautiful enough that lots of make-up could ruin anyway.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
*hugs*
My sister and her friends used to literally hold me down on the floor and put make-up on my face to show me how much better I looked with it than without it. I let the escape from bearing that kind of humiliation keep me wearing it until I left home and gladly ditched the foundations and powders for a good complexion...not that it helped LOL...my face didn't reallybreak out until I hit my mid 20's and I still have a slight pimple-problem at 40 in spite of keeping my face clean and using astringents and the occasional mask. Must be hereditary, my dad had the same problem...not that he got zits from wearing make-up LOL...just that his face broke out more as he got older...a reverse of the norm that you see in everyone else. I dunno. Its probably diet related but I've yet to figure out what the actual cause is. *shrug*

[ 09-08-2002, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 09-08-2002, 10:18 PM   #36
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

I've always lived in Southern Illinois and make-up gets mixed comments from the different genders. Most of the women wear at least the basics (eyeshadow, lipstick, blusher) for everyday things. My mom used to put on make-up just to drop me off at school. I used the basics from 5th grade til about my junior year and only wear lipstick for special occations. Most of the guys I knew, whether as friends or dates, always said they prefer a girl not wear any. Figuring I'd rather have guys telling me I'm cute, I followed their advice. Much more comfortable figuratively and literaly, without it.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:37 PM   #37
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Awww thanks Moni! I wish I could get ahold of pics my Dad has of me when I was a teen, when I had my eyeshadow all the way up to my eyebrows LOL, ever seen Christina Aguelera's eye makeup? Well that was me too! Looked like a cheap hooker LOL, but hey, those were the 70's early 80's, eyeshadow and lipgloss were all the rage LOL [img]tongue.gif[/img] And yes, I think those foundation and powders block your pores, and I KNOW the powders dry out your skin, so then when you go to foundation your face, when the foundation goes over said dry patch, it collects and shows as this dark area, looks like crap! I also think that when we get to be our ages, I heard that skin changes occur for some women during those ages. I as a teen and young adult NEVER got any acne, but now every once in a while I'll get a pimp on my chin now. I tried the Stridex and all too, but that doesn't work, I think it dries your skin out too much and the pimp stays cause your skin is trying to lubricate itself. I usually just leave it alone, and when in the shower do NOT use soap to wash my face, just use water alone. After a day or two it is a gonner (took me awhile to figure this out!)

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-08-2002, 10:55 PM   #38
Moni

Hey, you are very welcome! I am only telling the truth.

Christina LMAO..."Genie In A Bottle" anyone?

Do I dare? LOL OK, here it is...me at 15...

(Yes I look like a deer caught in the headlights LOL...those were not my happiest days. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

You can see I didn't wear a lot of makeup, even in black & white, at that age, but by the time I was 16 and even at 17, my color pics were mildly atrocious...blue eye shadow was in then LOL.
I've since traded it for shades of charcoal or shades of brown.

Thanks for the info on the pimple care lol...I never dreamed I would have to worry about it really. Not sure if I can bypass the soap though...my face is oily in that "T" zone just going in. Weird though that the break outs occur out of that area! I usually run an alcohol soaked cotton ball over them and they go away in a couple to a few days but its a hassle never knowing when the next one will surface or why. It could be a reaction to the moisturizer I use...I think I'll try another lotion for a while and see what happens. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Then again, it could be all the soda I drink...KHaN was nice enough to hand me one at 9:15 and now I am all wired LOL.
I really need to go to bed.

[ 09-08-2002, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 09-08-2002, 10:59 PM   #39
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ornery One:
Much more comfortable figuratively and literaly, without it.
Amen Sista! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2002, 05:05 AM   #40
Epona
Zartan

Wow Moni, I don't think I would last 5 minutes in your neighbourhood!

I never wear make-up. Our attitude here is similar to that Melusine described in The Netherlands - no-one much cares, and most people don't bother - if they do, it's subtle.