Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2002, 12:24 PM   #11
Azred
Drow Priestess

Belle wears makeup only when the occasion calls for it. I don't blame her--all that stuff on my face would feel like wearing a rubber mask! I have always preferred a more natural look, anyway; none of my previous romantic interests have worn makeup (unless needed).

I see other people who go to the grocery store who have gotten all "made up" and I think "who sent in the clowns?" [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] There is a concept called "too much", people. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

The term "make-up" itself is strange. When wearing it, a woman is "made up". Isn't she real? I know, I know. Plenty of women use cosmetics sparingly, to highlight a feature or to complement an outfit. Besides, a slight highlight of the cheekbones, the lips, and the eyelids activates "super-normal" signals in our brains, indicating...well, maturity (if you know what I mean). [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

...Do I always talk like that? Yes. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:27 PM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Well, I think there are just as many social implications to wearing make up as there are to going without it. Where I live I don't think anyone would be looked oddly at for not wearing make up, there are no prejudices attached to it, but all the more to women who do wear it. It's very trendy to say you want to 'look natural' (which sometimes paradoxically DOES involve lots of "natural" makeup) and to regard women who use make up as cheap or insecure.
Personally I can take it or leave it. I can walk around for weeks without wearing any make up at all, but I have periods where I wear make up almost every day as well. When I'm not wearing any, I'm not worried about it at all, and when I do, I'm not afraid of appearing shallow either. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and can I just say I hate foundation/powder? Yuck!
Old 09-08-2002, 12:32 PM   #13
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

She read both of those above and approves of the comments about the short shorts, Moni, Galadria wears shorts all of the time, since she is a runner, but short shorts, never. And, one-piece swimwear. Since she had Will, four years ago, she won't bare her tummy, even on Half-Marathons on a hot August morning. Azred, she mutttered something about her ex- not liking makeup, and I don't think that it was complimentary.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:36 PM   #14
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Azred, she mutttered something about her ex- not liking makeup, and I don't think that it was complimentary.
That's quite all-right. I'm certain I have nothing in common with her "ex" except gender. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:37 PM   #15
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I hate make-up. I settle for wearing mother's dresses and that's it.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:56 PM   #16
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
That's quite all-right. I'm certain I have nothing in common with her "ex" except gender. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]
LOL, I doubt very much that you would. He is a real jerk, and that harpy that he married is worse. She, of couse, never wears makeup.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:01 PM   #17
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Well, I think there are just as many social implications to wearing make up as there are to going without it. Where I live I don't think anyone would be looked oddly at for not wearing make up, there are no prejudices attached to it, but all the more to women who do wear it. It's very trendy to say you want to 'look natural' (which sometimes paradoxically DOES involve lots of "natural" makeup) and to regard women who use make up as cheap or insecure.
Personally I can take it or leave it. I can walk around for weeks without wearing any make up at all, but I have periods where I wear make up almost every day as well. When I'm not wearing any, I'm not worried about it at all, and when I do, I'm not afraid of appearing shallow either. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and can I just say I hate foundation/powder? Yuck!
Melusine,
I wish the majority of the U.S. could have the same views on make-up as the Netherlands! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
We'd lose billions of dollars a year in the industry lol but it would be nice if women everywhere could show themselves without having to feel like they need to hide themselves first!
Foundations and powders....I agree whole heartedly with the "Yuck!" lol! The stuff clogs pores and makes me break out by the time I get home to wash it off! (Texan woman: "But there are make-up products you can use to hide the blemishes and fill in the pock marks some blemishes leave behind!") Gag LOL...why ruin a perfectly good face to begin with? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am glad to know there is someone who feels the same way about it as me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Azred, "unless needed" LOL, that's just wrong!

Old 09-08-2002, 05:00 PM   #18
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I don't wear a lot of makeup at the best of times. And I don't feel the need to wear anything if I'm just going down to the shop or something. However I do wear foundation if I'm going anywhere (apart from the corner shop ) because my skin being very pale has a tendency to go red and ick, and like Galadria says, that doesn't make me feel my best. At least in my world of university it's not really imperative to wear makeup and if you don't you're not shunned or anything. People don't seem to go round with lots of eyeshadow on or anything. I do wear mascara if I'm feeling particularly vampish though
Old 09-08-2002, 05:20 PM   #19
Mojo
Elminster

I notice no-one has mentioned the social implications of men wearing make up...huh? huh?
Old 09-08-2002, 05:24 PM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
I notice no-one has mentioned the social implications of men wearing make up...huh? huh?
LOL! Well now you have
Coincidentally I just read an article about how there are more and more cosmetic products for men being introduced to the market. Stuff like skin creams, special after shave balm and stuff like that. The article spoke of a tendency for men to care more about their appearance and have more interest in cosmetic products. Not too sure about that - what do the IW men have to say for themselves?
I used to know some guys who wore eyeliner or nailpolish sometimes... can I just say *ick* - NOT what I find attractive in a man! ROFLMAO!