Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 01:39 AM   #1
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

I need help figuring out the correct file names for using custom portraits for a couple characters. Does anyone know the correct file names for:
Shar-teel, and
Viconia?

I've tried many variations on the file names (e.g. sharteL.bmp, etc.) and can't seem to get the right name. Does anyone know? Please?

Thanks,
Katherine
Old 12-04-2001, 03:51 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Are you trying to alter their existing portraits or simply replace their portraits with NEW portraits?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:53 PM   #3
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Are you trying to alter their existing portraits or simply replace their portraits with NEW portraits?

[img]graemlins/bunny.gif[/img]
Thanks for taking the time to think about it. I actually FINALLY figured it out. I was attempting to use different portraits for these characters, but the file names were not working. Well, I downloaded Infinity and looked at the target image for those characters and saw that they were all caps. So, I made the leap that the code looks for uppercase file names. Anyway, the code is case sensitive. Problem solved (until the next problem!).

thanks,
Old 12-04-2001, 09:57 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

That's odd. I never had to capitalize mine. The only portrait I can't change is Canderous's, but that's OK because I think it looks like his character anyway. The only picture I HAVE to change is Coran's. At first, I kinda thought Shar-Teel's picture was going to be for a female Dwarf....little did I know that there's no such thing. [img]smile.gif[/img] If I were you, I'd replace Viconia's pic with the one she has in BG2....she looks a LOT better.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:07 PM   #5
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Using Shadowkeeper I changed Jaheira's portrait to her BG1 portrait.

Portraits that need replacing in BG1:

Xzar--wow is that awful

Coran--grinning dipshit

Xan--trying much too hard to look "commanding" and "mystical"
Old 12-05-2001, 03:28 AM   #6
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
If I were you, I'd replace Viconia's pic with the one she has in BG2....she looks a LOT better.

Actually, I replaced her pic with this:

and Shar-Teel's with:

I think these are suiting portraits. I just got BG2, but haven't loaded it yet. I play BG in spurts- I play for a while, then get bored with it and take a break from it for a week or two. I am midway through chapter 6 in BG so far with the TOSC installed. It's more fun than talking to my cat (though, my cat can be quite the conversationalist when he's in the mood). I played Wizardry 1 on an Apple 2 computer with the huge floppy disks when I was like 14 with a boyfriend who was a big geek, way back in the dark ages. I just saw that they are still making the games- how funny... It was pretty much a text game with the occasional colorful sprite when I played it, if I remember correctly. That was the only crpg I'd played till BG.

What's your favorite portrait? I think the one I used for Sharteel is my favorite.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:49 AM   #7
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Of the two I like Viconia's better--Vicky is evil, so that one is fitting. Although personally I see Viconia as more of a sympathetic character, and more of a femme fatale, based on the way she behaves in BG2. That one you use for Shar Teel looks more like a vampire or some sort of undead creature. It's cool but doesn't fit my image of her as a human fighter. I see her as sort of a classic Amazon type.

Interesting how idiosyncratic our mental images of fictional characters are. That's one reason the Lord of the Rings movie is bound to disappoint many Tolkien fans (at least in that one respect).