Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ertai (Javi), Memnoch (Mario) or Cassie_cute they are believed to be viruses and you should delete them and not open them.

Memnoch, I got one from you too.

Just want to give everyone a heads up. They are all 319K in size.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 04-11-2003, 08:02 PM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Why people waste their time sending petty viruses we may never know.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:40 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Well, their probably usually little computor geeks with nothing better to do in their life...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
It's the standard "I'm-a-computer-nerd-and-have-nothing-better-to-do" routine. They make and send menial viruses, and imagine the "havoc" they cause. They never realize that most people recieving those emails are PC street-wise enough not to open every email they get.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 04-11-2003, 10:44 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Well, their probably usually little computor geeks with nothing better to do in their life...[/QUOTE]Or people hired by anti-virus company to ensure their products will always be usefull...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
It's the standard "I'm-a-computer-nerd-and-have-nothing-better-to-do" routine. They make and send menial viruses, and imagine the "havoc" they cause. They never realize that most people recieving those emails are PC street-wise enough not to open every email they get.
Well... some of us do that but we know better because we have the right equipment to block out the minor viruses

Yea... *clears throat and walks away*
Old 04-11-2003, 11:45 PM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

bumpin in case someone misses this

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-12-2003, 12:37 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:

Or people hired by an anti-virus company to ensure their products will always be usefull...
This is what I believe to some extent...maybe not all known cases, but some at least...
Old 04-12-2003, 12:40 AM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Just because it says its from, say 'Memnoch' or even ME, and it has a virus attached, it doesn't mean these people sent it, or are even FROM them!

Here is why:

Some one named Jim is infected with a Mass mailer virus. reads the forum a lot, all the while, this virus from HIS PC, is pulling random names and random email addresses (only if you post it, IW email address are safe). Then, the virus shoots out emails with random taken names, email addresses (and SOME even put the from address as the one PULLED from a website).

The World needs to pass a Law, making email addresses as important as a visa or State Drivers ID. And 100% tracable. This will stop SPAM, VIRUII, and maybe even catch sicko's.

I've actually seen in MY EMAIL, a message from 'Ironworks' with a virus attached, and it had a baldurs gate item image (a sword jpg) attached!!!!

So, don't just watch out for Mem's emails or Javi's. Watch out for ALL emails, coming from even your best friend or FAMILY! [img]smile.gif[/img] Keep a good virus scanner up to date, and never (N E V E R) run an EXE, COM, BAT, VBS, SCR or anything else as an attachment. NEVER. Always go with the assumption that any attachment is a virus. This type of behavior has kept me from being hit over the last 11 years except 2 times. once, a simple virus called 'Junkie.boot' which messed up a command.com file in DOS 5.5, and the other was that first huge virus that would attack website IISS servers and was Microsofts fault for having the opening. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Remember this:

ANY Email you get from Ironworks Gaming, Ironworks Forum, The Great Escape, Ziroc, Dan Huling will always contain text only. If I am sending you an attachment, you would know about it first in a previous email--but even THEN, scan it anyway! [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you can set 'options' on incoming emails, make a setting that ALL attachments that come into your INBOX to be highlighted as RED. or BOLD and RED. This will tell you right away 99% of the time that those are probably virus emails.

Hope you read all that [img]smile.gif[/img] The more people that do, the more members PC's will be saved.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 04-12-2003, 05:08 AM   #10
Kaltia
Jack Burton

*cusses script kiddies*
Never download anything from an e-mail unless the person who has sent it makes a very clear note of what it is. Calaethis sent me a 200k e-mail, but he actually wrote in his e-mail that it was a bunch of pictures. Also check virus names. If they're something like "friends.scr" or "love.scr" they're viruses.

[ 04-12-2003, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.