Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2001, 09:47 AM   #1
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

While creating a thief, I noticed that thieves, although they cannot be lawful good, CAN be lawful neutral! Does that make ANY sense? I'd say the programmers slipped up there!
Any other strange things that you've noticed? Like SixofSpades remark that halflings and elves can wear the SAME suit of plate mail?

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:00 AM   #2
Zbyszek

You would like to have race restrictions on armours, weapons?
Answer is simple - it would cost too much, it would complicate game, it would require a lot of weapons/armours for each race, so each player would be satisfied that can find/use any weapon +2 or armour with AC=2 for example.
Sorry that this is disaapointing. But noone can require that compter game will be fully realistic.
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:26 AM   #3
Kaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Zbyszek:
You would like to have race restrictions on armours, weapons?
Answer is simple - it would cost too much, it would complicate game, it would require a lot of weapons/armours for each race, so each player would be satisfied that can find/use any weapon +2 or armour with AC=2 for example.
Sorry that this is disaapointing. But noone can require that compter game will be fully realistic.
No, that's clear - it would be impossible. It's still funny though. But the lawful neutral thief thing still cracks me up. It should be simple enough to have an alignment restriction on ALL lawful types, not just lawful good. As a matter of fact, multi-class thieves *DO* have that. But single-class don't...
Old 10-26-2001, 10:40 AM   #4
Zbyszek

Btw how are your teeth (ops.. lets hope nobody will notice it is wrong forum)
Zbyszek

------------------

Well known expetitioner, Heffalumps hunter, friend of Boo.
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 02:55 PM   #5
Kaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Zbyszek:
Btw how are your teeth (ops.. lets hope nobody will notice it is wrong forum)
Zbyszek

*whispers* a lot better since I went to the dentist's today and he prescribed me an antibioticum. The swelling's gone down, I can almost chew, plus I took my last painkiller - Ate more than twice today than what I have in the last few day, that's less than half what I normally eat... er... I guess I haven't been eating much?
Anyway, since it is so EMPTY here, I hope no one will mind two off-topic posts.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:41 PM   #6
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

"Lawful Neutral

Order and organization are of paramount importance. They believe in a strong, well-ordered government, whether that government is a tyranny or benevolent democracy. The benefits of organization and regimentation outweigh any moral questions raised by their actions. An inquisitor determined to ferret out traitors at any cost or a soldier who never questions his orders are examples of Lawful Neutral behavior."

Actually, this could describe a thief's comportment to his own thieve's guild. The guild being the only governing social organization that he honors, of course.

Here I think "neutral" attempts to define a kind of pure opportunism whereby the person cares little about moral questions of good or bad and is motivated entirely out of personal self-interest.

[This message has been edited by Lemernis (edited 10-26-2001).]
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 04:53 AM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis:
"...the person cares little about moral questions of good or bad and is motivated entirely out of personal self-interest.
That sounds a lot more like CHAOTIC Neutral to me ("Good and evil are irrelevant when making a decision...they tend to follow whatever whim strikes them at the moment."), or even Chaotic Evil, as far as the "I look out for Number One" thing goes. Any combination of Thief shouldn't be able to be Lawful Good OR Lawful Neutral.

------------------
Boots of Stealth: 1125 gp
Shadow Armor: 7875 gp
Slipping an Oil of Firey Burning down the back of Sarevok's armor: Priceless
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 06:13 AM   #8
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

If memory serves me correctly, the original brief for AD&D was that thieves could not have a lawful disposition. There was nothing stopping them from being nice guys, but the remit of the entire class was basically anti-establishment. Even in a society predicated to theft, there would still be some laws. Break those, and you'd certainly know all about it! It would probably be harsher than a "straight" society.

I guess that it's just a glich.

------------------
Making running away an art form
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 12:07 PM   #9
Gil-Galad
The Magister

- Where the hell does all that water noise comes from by the firewine bridge? I sure can't see no water there
- By selecting Shar-Teel and "telling her" to go somewhere, if done with proper timing, she will say "men are ok". Hmmm...
- Moving around while fighting will sometimes activate an NPC who wil then walk up to you and start talking about the weather or whatever in the heat of battle.

Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 02:39 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Gil-Galad:
[B- By selecting Shar-Teel and "telling her" to go somewhere, if done with proper timing, she will say "men are ok". Hmmm...[/B]
Lol! That ranks up there with slapping the Girdle of Sex Change on her.

SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote