Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2001, 02:01 PM   #1
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

an atheist loves himself and his felowman instead of god

an atheist knows that heaven is something for which we should work now-here on earth-for all men together to enjoy

an atheist thinks that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue and enjoy it

an atheist thinks that only in the knowledge of himself and in the knowledge of his fellowman can he find the understanding that will help lead to a life of fulfillment.

therefore, he seeks to know himself and his fellowman rather than to know a god

an atheist knows that a hospital should be built instead of a church

an atheist knows that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said

an atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death

he wants desease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated

he wants man to understand and love man

he wants an ethical way of life

he knows that we cannot rely on a god, nor channel action into prayer, nor hope for an end to troubles in the hereafter

he knows that we are our brother's keeper and keepers of our lives; that we are responsible persons, that the job is here and the time is now.

-Madalyn Murray, April 27, 1961-
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 12-15-2001, 02:03 PM   #2
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i thought that this was kinda neat, so i posted it. i dont agree with the war assumption, i think that there is a time and place for war. although, i would LIKE to see it vanquished, i KNOW that will never happen. anyway, i thought someone might like this, so here it is. im not puting it in here to cut on religion at all either people. thanx for your time. [img]graemlins/ninja.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 12-15-2001, 04:16 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Had to do an answer version mate. To present a nonsexist version for starters. Couldn't help myself....

----------------
A Christian loves themself and their fellow human as well as God

A Christian knows Earth is something for which we should work now, here on earth, for all humans together to enjoy

A Christian knows that they can get help through prayer, but that, with Gods help, they must find in themself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue and enjoy it.

A Christian thinks that only in the knowledge of themself, God and life and in the knowledge of his fellow human can they find the understanding that will help lead to a life of fulfillment.

Therefore, they seek to know themself and their fellow human as well as know God.

A Christian knows that a hospital should be built instead of a church building.

A Christian knows that a deed must be done as well as a prayer said.

A Christian strives for involvement in life and not escape into death - physically or spiritually.

They want disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated.

They want men to understand woman. An impossiblity I know...

They want an ethical way of life

They know that we can rely on God, channel prayer into action, and have hope for an end to troubles in the hereafter.

They know that we are our siblings keepers (it's in the first book of the bible after all) and keepers of our lives; that we are responsible persons, that the job is here and the time is now.

-Hugh Wilson, December 15, 2001 -

-----------
Athiests don't have a monopoly on these values, and unlike athiest writers, Christians don't regard man as all humanity.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-15-2001, 04:23 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

quote:
You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you, he never wanted you and in all probability, he hates you.

-Tyler Durden
Old 12-15-2001, 04:34 PM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you, he never wanted you and in all probability, he hates you.

-Tyler Durden

A guess Tyler Durden isn't talking about a creator awareness like I am when I use the word "God" then. By definition, if you create something, you want it to exist, as you are exercising volition. We're not talking about an unwilling parent here, but a creator.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-15-2001, 06:08 PM   #6
Dramnek_Ulk

I’m afraid these are just generalisations. I’ve known many Christians who were petty and vindictive, hypocritical and liars, and I’ve known some who dedicated their lives to helping street children in Brazil. I've known some atheists who were fanatical and arrogant (me? never! ) and I’ve known some who were tolerant, wise and kind and lived their life in as good a possible fashion as is possible in today’s society.

Old 12-15-2001, 06:22 PM   #7
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
an atheist loves himself and his felowman instead of god

an atheist knows that heaven is something for which we should work now-here on earth-for all men together to enjoy

an atheist thinks that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue and enjoy it

an atheist thinks that only in the knowledge of himself and in the knowledge of his fellowman can he find the understanding that will help lead to a life of fulfillment.

therefore, he seeks to know himself and his fellowman rather than to know a god

an atheist knows that a hospital should be built instead of a church

an atheist knows that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said

an atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death

he wants desease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated

he wants man to understand and love man

he wants an ethical way of life

he knows that we cannot rely on a god, nor channel action into prayer, nor hope for an end to troubles in the hereafter

he knows that we are our brother's keeper and keepers of our lives; that we are responsible persons, that the job is here and the time is now.

-Madalyn Murray, April 27, 1961-

I go along with that. But, as Dramnek said, not all atheists subscribe to those sentiments. Neither do all christians subscribe to Yorick's modification of the list!

There are three main types of people, imo (and in the opinion of computer game creators!): those who care for themselves and others; those who are indifferent; those who hate themselves and others (There are subdivisions of all 3, obviously!)

Religion or lack of it makes little difference, since each type contains those who profess to be believers of one sort or another and those who profess to be atheists.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:32 PM   #8
jabidas
Silver Dragon

First I should mention Im an atheist.

Next I refuse to let anyone or any religion do my thinking for me or to dictate to me what my values or perceptions should be no matter how eloquent. I refuse to let any one organization do that because people make mistakes and if I make them at least they will be my own mistakes. It is my opinion that all such people or organizations who do claim complete understanding are not only liars but fools and far too often people end up worshiping an individual or group to the detriment of their won selves.

I personally dislike trying to quote people as a method to express my own views because I think you should be careful not to find yourself bowing down to the finger that points to god (metaphorically speaking of course on my part) and I think such shall we say plagiarizing leads to a lack of thought on our own part.

Now I know there are innumerable arguments as to why god doesn't exist and the ones that point to his existence tend to be have faith but Im not going to get into that because I doubt im going to change anyone's mind so let me sum up everything ive been blathering on about into one statement.

I refuse to submit to any Tyranny of the mind.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:45 PM   #9
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
First I should mention Im an atheist.

Next I refuse to let anyone or any religion do my thinking for me or to dictate to me what my values or perceptions should be no matter how eloquent. I refuse to let any one organization do that because people make mistakes and if I make them at least they will be my own mistakes. It is my opinion that all such people or organizations who do claim complete understanding are not only liars but fools and far too often people end up worshiping an individual or group to the detriment of their won selves.

I personally dislike trying to quote people as a method to express my own views because I think you should be careful not to find yourself bowing down to the finger that points to god (metaphorically speaking of course on my part) and I think such shall we say plagiarizing leads to a lack of thought on our own part.

Now I know there are innumerable arguments as to why god doesn't exist and the ones that point to his existence tend to be have faith but Im not going to get into that because I doubt im going to change anyone's mind so let me sum up everything ive been blathering on about into one statement.

I refuse to submit to any Tyranny of the mind.

I love finding your posts, Jabidas! What a sensible young man you are!

However (you knew there was going to be a 'however', didn't you?) I think calling people who believe in something 'fools and liars' is a bit harsh. What they believe is foolish to you, and may be foolish to me, but to those who believe, what they believe is True.

And YOU have beliefs too, you know, that others would consider foolish: you BELIEVE god does not exist, for example.

Just as you can point to proof of the non-existence of god, so can they point to proof of the existence of god.
All that divides you are your individual perceptions of what is proof and what is truth!

Go on..... you can hit me if you like! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2001, 07:09 PM   #10
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Can I put it to you this way Fljotsdale I don't try to enforce or dictate my beliefs to anyone and I believe it to be sheer arrogance on the part of anyone to do so.

Next I believe them fools because in telling how to live their lives they are assuming they have the wisdom to do so. I doubt sincerely that they do because they are only human and only you can know how to live your life.

The existence of God? the arguments for tend to entirely based on faith and let me be perhaps a little blunt and somewhat painfully honest about this. Im not going to base my decisions on what a bunch of medieval superstitious two rungs above monkeys people thought about 3 or 4 thousand years ago at all. No chance. The arguments against God are more logical, while I don't completely discount instinct or if you will a sense of something greater I wont base my life on a feeling I don't get my self.

To be quite frank I wouldn't really care if he exists or not, I live to the best of my ability anyway and in the way that I choose