Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 08:56 AM   #1
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

OK! I'll start it. Then come back at lunch. The Republicans kicked some serious BUTT last night in the elections! Can this be a thumbs up for George Bush's policies? LET'S KEEP IT NICE PEOPLE!

[ 11-06-2002, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Sir Taliesin ]
Old 11-06-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
Mellagar

*Waves small flag*

Yay..............ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... .........

Politics to me is about the same as a fun filled night of fasting.

[ 11-06-2002, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Mellagar ]
Old 11-06-2002, 09:04 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

It's a huge thumbs up for W. A sitting president's party gaining seats in the Senate during a mid term election really is huge.

An interesting sidenote is that the GOP took the state house, senate, and governor's mansion in SC. That's the first time the Republicans have done that since the post Civil War Reconstruction era.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:04 AM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yep, I'll be nice. Republicans captured control of Congress last night, regaining power in the Senate and expanded their majority in the House as GOP candidates rode the slipstream of President Bush's popularity and turned a competitive midterm campaign into an election that defied the odds of history.

The last piece in the battle for control of Congress fell into place shortly before 2 a.m. today when Sen. Jean Carnahan (D-Mo.) telephoned former representative Jim Talent (R) and conceded defeat. Talent's victory secured GOP control in the Senate, an outcome that had appeared almost out of reach to party leaders only a day earlier and that left Democrats dispirited and looking for scapegoats.

In an era in which presidents are not supposed to have coattails, particularly in their first midterm election, Bush provided the energy and message that produced a surge of Republican votes in crucial battlegrounds. The GOP held all but one of their endangered seats and defeated at least two Democratic incumbents.

That's from the Washington Post. Look out, Saddam. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2002, 09:53 AM   #5
Gammit
Elminster

I just hope that there remains enough opposition to the Republicans so that there will be proper debate and discourse. I think there should be. I love this country.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:56 AM   #6
MagiK

Wow, I had no Idea they would take the Senate back, I'll be darned. I know that Maryland for the first time in 40 years has a republican Governor and that the Republican Senator lost to the Democrat. None of the Libertarians won the offices that they were running for *sigh*

Well if after the legal challenges (and you know there will have to be some) it turns out that the Republicans do have control of botht he House and senate, then they get the chance to prove or disprove the Anti-Bush leagues fears. Personally I think we will only see modest if any changes.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:58 AM   #7
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Gammit:
I just hope that there remains enough opposition to the Republicans so that there will be proper debate and discourse. I think there should be. I love this country.
Discourse yes, but apparently the US voting populace has voted for change. It seems that the majority didn't like the previous arrangements and have decided to try something new.

Edit: Apparently this gaining of seats in an off election year, is rare and hasn't happened in quite some time.

[ 11-06-2002, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-06-2002, 09:59 AM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
In the Senate there are 50 Republicans, 46 Democrates, 1 Independant, and 3 still to be decided(At the last count I saw anyway).

It's not like the Republican wins have ruined the system and leave them supreme. They just took the majority by a slim margin.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:01 AM   #9
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
quote:
In the Senate there are 50 Republicans, 46 Democrates, 1 Independant, and 3 still to be decided(At the last count I saw anyway).

It's not like the Republican wins have ruined the system and leave them supreme. They just took the majority by a slim margin.
[/QUOTE]True, but historical trends show that they should have lost seats, not gained, so it is a big win none the less [img]smile.gif[/img] Oh and b the way, thismeans that a LOT of judicial seats will ow be filled since the Democrats were holding them all up. Which means cases can be heard and trials resolved.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:15 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Look, I'm of the opinion that one party should not hold such all-around majorities. I'll point out that at this historical moment, all 3 branches of government belong, ever so slightly, to the GOP. That's simply scary. I like the balance of a Congress that is of the party opposite the President.

A lot of you GOP supporters, I might note, don't like the idea of "pass new laws" and instead support "enforce old ones." Well, get ready to see craploads of new legislation getting passed. I, for one, do not like that, no matter what party is in power.

In Illinois, by the way, we had a flip-flop to Democrats, with even Lisa "I never set foot in a trial courtroom" Madagan winning Attorney General. For the first time in 30 yrs, we've got a Democratic Governor. The unfortunate loser in the Governor, Jim Ryan, was very gracious, composed, and reflective, especially after a rather bitter race. Like Mr. Gore, I think he would have stood a better chance had he shown this other side of himself before the night he lost. As one last note I'm sure no one on this board will find very relevant, I must say that political campaigns in Illinois are amazingly dirty. But, I've also seen evidence that races all around the country got pretty muddy.