Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2001, 04:47 PM   #1
ccannon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all! I'm new to this board but just had a couple of questions for the gurus out there. First off, does Tales of the Sword Coast fit into the series (ie: can you play that one and then import your character into the next game?). Secondly, what is the thinking about the best character (or combination) to make if one is planning on taking one character through the whole series? I've seen many posts about what to make for the first game but what about on down the road?

Thank you all ahead of time and I'll look forward to hearing from you!
ccannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 04:58 PM   #2
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

Well, yes you can take the same character through the entire series. Be forewarned that when you start SoA that you will be stripped of your items. For good reason mind you, but its gonna happen. ToSC adds into the first game and can be played from anywhere, though lvl 7 is recommended. The final cap on level is about 40. Any class is good, so long as you know its limits. Look around on the forum for hints like how to use them.

------------------
Awww geez, not another chaotic neutral? Where do these people come from anyway?
Sir Jaren Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:50 PM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

About classes, my opinions:

- Id say that fighter is boring, unless you play it in bg1 and then dual him/her in bg2 (to mage or thief as best options)
- my personal favorite is mage, but many people dont like them, its upon your preferences
- bards can be funny from what i heard
- plain thief, id say its boring
- clerics, i dont like them, but a cleric/ranger is a powerful character and very fun to play
- druids, i hate them, but thats personal opinion again
- rangers and paladins are funnier than plain fighters, plus they get cool kits in bg2

------------------
"I miss the Angel... and I mean that I REALLY miss her" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 07:49 PM   #4
Lioness
Jack Burton

I would say a fighter/mage is nice, thats what I played, cause they can tank when needed but Mages are lotsa fun, like Ertai said. It all really depends on YOU! *points finger at ccannon*

------------------
[IMG]]http://members.aol.com/lasttrueprincess/images/lioness1.jpg[/IMG]
Official teaser and ranger of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe in GD

[This message has been edited by Lioness (edited 08-13-2001).]
Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 10:17 PM   #5
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

I've only played BG1 but I've been having loads of fun with my Mage/Thief. I've got magic when I need it and I've got ever important and fun thief skills. I wanted to go plain mage but I died to fast so I combined a thief with it, giving more HP and better weapons to use without having to lose heavy armor wearing capabilites (Like in a Fighter/Mage or Fighter/Cleric). Also, with the huge number of good Long Swords in the game, I can also put those to use if I ever get more than my fighters need.

-Jafin

------------------

I am Jafin, arch-mage of the HADB clan!
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 02:10 AM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Basically play what you've always wanted to play because that'll make it more enjoyable for you. Right now I am just about to finish up Heart of Winter and then move on to complete Ice Wind Dale. But waiting in the wings is my half-elven Ranger from BG1 whom I am looking forward to playing in BG2. I love that character and so it will mean more.
As for Tales of the Sword Coast (TotSC), go ahead and install, but as someone has already said, make sure you are high enough to play. All party members should be at least 6th level. Most people play this add-on sometime after completing chaper 5 but before going to chapter 7. By the way, TotSC is now found on clearance shelves for $10.00 so grab it!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 04:04 AM   #7
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

what was that about the exp cap being 40? I played this game thru to chapter 7 and completed totsc, before it glitched on me! 8-( But i wasn't halfway thru Durlag's Tower when i reached level 9 with my ranger and minsc, i beieve it was 151,000 exp points when the cap kicked in. Does this sound right?
The Ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 04:24 AM   #8
Gyruss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes thats right I believe. The BG games have expiernce point caps for each game and expansion which will translate to diffrent levels depending on the class. The lvl 40 comment is the top level or there abouts that can be reached when you do the Throne of Bhaal expansion.

Gyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 12:08 PM   #9
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

There is no "best" character. Any character can be effective. It is just a matter of what sort of character you would enjoy more, and this is just personal taste, nothing more.
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 11:04 PM   #10
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

i would like to recommend the thief or fighter/thief because i think that every party needs a thief out there either to picklocks, find and *disarm* traps, scout ahead using stealth or to take out a mage or a high HP enemy in one blow with a backstab depending on level.

Fighter/Thief has a better thaco, more weps can choose from,( only thief weps can be used for a backstab), more HP,can wear heavier armor than studded, and can have 18/00 strength which adds 6 damage to a hit.

------------------

I am Demoquin, Agent from Hell
Demoquin is offline   Reply With Quote