Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2003, 05:26 AM   #1
Pangur Ban

25 years ago, almost to the day, ( showing my age ... ) I left high school.

Today I found out I that one of the persons from my last school year is trying to contact me, with an invitation to a 25 yr school reunion. Given the fact that since that last day not one of my former classmates has *ever* contacted me, I'm wondering what I should do.

It would seem as if I have 3 options:

1. Don't contact this person.
2. Contact him, but don't go to the reunion
3. Contact him, and go to the reunion.

To those of who who have been to reunions, what were they like?
A good experience?
A snobfest - look how well *I've* done?
Or, if your school days were like mine, ( I was glad to forget most of them ) did the reunion just give *ahem* long forgotton enemies a chance to renew old hostilities?

Do people change in 25 years, I wonder?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:35 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'd go if i were you, it's always nice to see how your old classmates have been doing over the years. Plus it gives you the opportunity to beat up that annoying kid in the back of the class once more.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:54 AM   #3
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

I haven't even left school yet and I am looking forward to my one. It'll be a great experience to see everyone again and see how they have changed. And i should have two reunions, one from my current school and one from my old school, so i look forward to both, really what is the worst that could happen to you if you go? My suggestion would definatly be to go.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:19 AM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

school reunions are the reason why me and guns should never meet.

Intresting question Pangur Ban. For me the answer would be a easy no. But everyone is different.

[img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Maybe contact them but do not go, leave your email address and small bio with them so people can get in touch if they need to.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-03-2003, 08:24 AM   #5
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

I just went to my 10 year one last weekend (which I helped coordinate). It was a real good time, and I'm glad I went. No one I was friends with in school (except for one girl, who I was already still in contact with) was there, but people I didn't even think knew me remembered my name and were happy to see me. I should mention, while I was not picked on (much) in school, I was also not popular. I was never a cheerleader or jock, just had my group of friends (and we were all a bit nerdy) and that was it, so this post is not from someone who was a "Star" in high school and that's why I had a good time.

My Dad never went to one until his 25th, and he still talks about how happy he was that he went, that he had SUCH a great time. I say GO!!! HAVE FUN.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
school reunions are the reason why me and guns should never meet.

Intresting question Pangur Ban. For me the answer would be a easy no. But everyone is different.

[img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Maybe contact them but do not go, leave your email address and small bio with them so people can get in touch if they need to.
obviusly there will be people there that i don't particularly like but there will also be people there i would like to see again, although my good friends would have kept in contact from the beginning. Either way it's your decision and whichever you choose will not be too bad.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:16 AM   #7
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Personally, I think you should go - after all, you can always leave. You never know, it could be fun. On the other hand, it might not - if you get there and decide you don't like it - you can always leave [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 09:50 AM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

I had no friends in my own class in high school, all my friends were either in anoher school or 2 years younger than me, and I was picked on quiet a lot by my classmates (sometimes to a point were Iwanted to just disapear, one way or the other)) and even if I didn't want to go, was sure it would just be a display on how aqcomplished they were and how much my life sucked, I went anyway... and I'm glad I did, it was very nice to see them again. and everyne was very friendly I guess people grow in 10 years... not to mention 25 [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 09:55 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I haven't been to one yet (approaching 20 years). I have heard from others that have gone, and one common thing is that almost everyone has changed. Few, if any, behave like they did 25 years ago, and those who do are generally recognized by all as still being childish (unless they were nice 25 years ago). Time has a nice way of mellowing people out.

I have also successfully stayed out of the radar view of my high school. They haven't found me during the raffle ticket season yet [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd say give it a shot, but have a backup plan. IOW, plan on attending, but have reservations at a nice place for dinner in case it doesn't work out.

And if it really doesn't work out, you can just ignore them in future years.

Really. You've got nothing to lose except a Saturday night, and perhaps a bit to gain.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #10
Rokenn
Galvatron

I went to my 20 year renunion earlier this year and had a blast. Closed the bar down two nights in row with all my old buddies and had a lot of fun dancing with all their wives, lol. Taking a years worth of dance lessons made it fun [img]tongue.gif[/img]