Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
Sigmar
Unicorn

Robert Stack, veteran actor of "The Untouchables" and "Unsolved Mysteries", as well as other lesser known roles (the voice of Ultra Magnus and Head of FBI in Beavis and Butthead do America), died Wednesday afternoon of apparent heart failure at his home. The actor had recently undergone radiation treatment for prostate cancer. He was 84.

Here's the article from USATODAY-

"Actor Robert Stack dead at 84
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Robert Stack, whose granite-eyed stare and menacing baritone spelled trouble for fictional criminals in TV's The Untouchables and real ones in Unsolved Mysteries, has died at his home. He was 84.

Stack's wife, Rosemarie, found him slumped over in the couple's Los Angeles home about 5 p.m. Wednesday. The actor underwent radiation treatment for prostate cancer in October, but his wife said he died of heart failure.

"He was feeling so good," she said Thursday. "He had a bout with a tumor but that was gone. It wasn't that, it was his heart. He was too weak. He wouldn't have lived through a bypass."

Although he had a lengthy film career beginning in 1939 with First Love, Stack's greatest fame came with the 1959-63 TV drama The Untouchables, in which he played Chicago crimebuster Eliot Ness and won a best actor Emmy.

That role, coupled with his job as host of the reality series Unsolved Mysteries, created an enduring good-guy image.

"I think there's a definite carry-over from Eliot Ness," Stack said in a 1998 interview with The Associated Press. "Somebody once said, 'You really think you're Eliot Ness.' No, I don't think I'm Ness, but I sure as hell know I'm not Al Capone.' "

If Stack tended to appear stiffly humorless on screen, in conversation he was relaxed and jovial, with deep Hollywood roots that gave him a wealth of star-studded anecdotes.

He recalled playing polo with mentor Spencer Tracy and receiving advice from Clark Gable.

"He brought a bottle of 21-year-old Scotch and put it between us," Stack told the AP. '"There's a rumor going around that you're gonna try to be an actor.'

"I thought I'd give it a shot," Stack said he replied.

"Clark said, 'You're gonna be one thing: A pro. Show up on time, know your lines. ... And if you ever become a thing called a celebrity — a word I hate — if you ever do, and you use that power to push people around, I'm gonna kick you right in the (expletive).' "

A fifth-generation Californian, Stack was born into a performing arts family in Los Angeles. His great-great-grandfather opened one of the city's first theaters and his grandparents, uncle and mother were opera singers.

His father, however, "was the only Irishman in County Kerry who couldn't sing, and that's whose singing voice I got," Stack said in 1998.

But the young man had a resonant speaking voice and rugged good looks, enough to catch the eye of producer Joe Pasternak when Stack ventured onto the Universal lot at age 20.

"He said 'How'd you like to be in pictures? We'll make a test with Helen Parrish, a little love scene.' Helen Parrish was a beautiful girl. 'Gee, that sounds keen,' I told him. I got the part," Stack recalled.

He gave popular young actress Deanna Durbin her much-publicized first screen kiss in First Love, and played a series of youthful romantic leads before leaving Hollywood to serve with the Navy as an aerial gunnery instructor in World War II.

His postwar career climbed in the 1950s with meatier roles and better projects, including The Highand the Mighty starring John Wayne in 1954.

In 1957, Stack was nominated for a best supporting Oscar for Written on the Wind, a domestic melodrama starring Lauren Bacall and Rock Hudson. When he lost the trophy (to Red Buttons, Sayonara), Jimmy Stewart reassured him he'd win next time.

"But Jimmy, what if I never get another part like this?" Stack said.

"Well, that's just too damn bad," Stewart replied.

That story was told with a chuckle by Stack, a man who clearly didn't take himself or life in Hollywood too seriously. "It's all malarky; even the wonderful part is malarky," he allowed.

Stack made more than 40 films, including The Iron Glove (1954); Good Morning Miss Dove (1955) and Is Paris Burning? (1966). In later years he shifted to comedy, mocking his stalwart image in 1980's Airplane! and appearing in 1941 (1979), Caddyshack II (1988) and Baseketball (1998).

His role as Ness in The Untouchables brought him a best actor Emmy in 1960. The series, awash in Prohibition Era shoot-'em-ups between gangsters and federal agents, drew harsh criticism about its violence along with good ratings for ABC.

Stack found more series success with The Name of the Game (1968-71), a drama which rotated stars Tony Franciosa, Gene Barry and Stack. Short-lived shows included Most Wanted (1976-77) and Strike Force (1981-82).

Unsolved Mysteries, offering true stories of crime and mysterious disappearances, brought Stack back to TV in 1988, and the popular show continued through the late '90s (with a network switch, from NBC to CBS).

His autobiography, Straight Shooting, was published in 1979.

Stack and his wife, Rosemarie, enjoyed that Hollywood rarity: an enduring marriage. The couple, who wed in 1956, had two children, Elizabeth and Charles, both of Los Angeles. Mrs. Stack said the children were with her at the Stack home.

Stack will be buried at Westwood Village Cemetery during a private service. A private reception will also be held at the Bel-Air Country Club and a memorial service will be planned later, Mrs. Stack said.
"

Damn shame, I liked him in "Unsolved mysteries" and his performance alongside Leslie Nielson in "Airplane" was fantastic.

R.I.P Robert Stack

[ 05-17-2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 05-17-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Cheers to a awsome actor [img]smile.gif[/img] may your afterlife be as blessed as this life was
Old 05-17-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I'll miss Ultra Magnus... Although, he WAS a rip off of Optimus Prime.

He'll be missed. GREAT stage actor and voice!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-17-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I really liked him in "The Untouchables." That was a cool show. It's a bummer when someone you grew up with dies.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
Lovisa
Manshoon

may them rest in peace...
Old 05-19-2003, 05:32 AM   #6
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The Untouchables is one of my all time favs. Good actor, quite sad...