Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2003, 09:02 AM   #31
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

No, lets definitely not open that can of worms again, its depressing and absolutely unwanted. People come here for fun and relaxation and to read about what you need to do to get banned or whatever, it's pretty self-explanatory. We really don't want a repetition of the flamewars of last year.
Next week I will have been here a year but I do not remember any flame wars.

LINK what a great post, good on you [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

About feeding the troll. A few months ago we had an Australian member who went off the rails and started the slippy ride into oblivion. I tried to talk to him and get him to stop and rethink, hopeing because it was night time in USA the board was quiet and he may have been able to delete his posts and go and cool off, all to no avail. Should you try to talk to them or let them burn out like a candle? Maybe I was feeding him? I had only chatted to him a few times before but felt as though I should try something. Advice please

edit spelling
[/QUOTE]I've been here 2 years now, Wellard, and I don't remember any flamewars from last year either. During my tenure here, I've seen some flamefests occur between individual members in a heated debate, but the Mods are always quick to step in and remind everyone to cool down and debate the issue, not the individual. If repeated warnings are necessary, suspensions will sometimes be handed out.

As for the trolls mentioned so far, it reads like a veritable Hall of Shame. I remember most of them. Istaron was a bit before my time, but I heard about his offensive posts to Lioness. I particularly remember vixen because she took it upon herself to challenge (and insult) Cloudy's Cafe with her first few posts. She insisted this place was too childish and we should have an "adult oriented" cafe' also. Sorry, but the are other forums out there with "Adult Only" sections if that's what floats your boat. She was also extremely rude and insulting towards the Mods and even Ziroc directly. I believe she even basically threatened to hack the IW code because she considered herself a top-notch programmer.

Needless to say, threatening Ironworks directly is an absolute certain way to get yourself banned permanently.

As for your attempt to talk to the Australian troll (whoever that may have been), there is certainly nothing wrong with at least trying. Some new members here come in with the wrong attitude because of experiences they have had on other forums. I have also tried sending PM's to newer members that I felt were just getting off on the wrong foot.

It is usually easy to tell who is just making an unintentional faux pas and who is deliberately being a troll. There is certainly nothing wrong with trying to help a new member understand why certain types of posts or attitudes are not permitted here. If they are genuinely interested in staying, they will consider the advice given and try to change their ways (this just happened with another new member in the last week AAMOF). If they are not willing to change their ways and insist on continuing their behavior - at least you tried. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2003, 09:09 AM   #32
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Our Resident Dentist, Phil. "Can I drill you for that?"
edited for stupidity. sorry bout that

[ 11-10-2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Elif Godson ]
Old 11-10-2003, 09:14 AM   #33
Cerek the Barbaric

Just to add another quick thought - I originally expected this thread to be "banned really quickly" - but instead I feel it has served a really good purpose. It reminds all of us about what behavior is and is not accepted here and provided specific examples that most of us could remember and say "Oh Yeah, I remember when that happened." I also want to give kudos to Link for recounting his personal experience.

I missed his banning, but I remember when he was petitioning to be allowed a second chance. I thought it was very big of him to recognize and admit that his behavior had been wrong, and it was equally gracious of Ziroc to give him a second chance.

But his experience provides the perfect example of one of the quickest ways to get banned here - being disrespectful to the Mods or Ziroc. Aside from blantant insults laced with prolific profanity, that is about the quickest way to get a ticket off IW that I know of.

If you ever have a question for a Mod or wonder why a particular action was taken - ask them in a Private Message!!! - and do it in a respectful manner. Although they don't have to explain their actions, I have found from personal experience that all of them WILL answer any questions you have as long as it is asked privately and is done in a respectful manner.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:39 AM   #34
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

Actully the mods around here are leient All the stuff ive caused around here and I have yet to be banned
Cheers to the IW mods!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 10:15 AM   #35
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Most trolls delight in wasting other people's time or getting them riled up.
There are, of course times, when people step over the line during the heat of the moment, but the thing I've never really understood exactly what kind of real life loser a person must be to actually derive enjoyment through the intentional act of making others angry online.

[ 11-10-2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-10-2003, 10:37 AM   #36
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

No, lets definitely not open that can of worms again, its depressing and absolutely unwanted. People come here for fun and relaxation and to read about what you need to do to get banned or whatever, it's pretty self-explanatory. We really don't want a repetition of the flamewars of last year.
Next week I will have been here a year but I do not remember any flame wars.

LINK what a great post, good on you [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

About feeding the troll. A few months ago we had an Australian member who went off the rails and started the slippy ride into oblivion. I tried to talk to him and get him to stop and rethink, hopeing because it was night time in USA the board was quiet and he may have been able to delete his posts and go and cool off, all to no avail. Should you try to talk to them or let them burn out like a candle? Maybe I was feeding him? I had only chatted to him a few times before but felt as though I should try something. Advice please

edit spelling
[/QUOTE]
Oops, my bad, I checked and they weren't indeed flamewars, but they were quite on the negative side.

Here & here .....

Somehow the word flamewar was stuck in my head when I thought about those threads. They were really depressing and made some members leave. It got out of hand really.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:07 PM   #37
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I agree it all got out of hand, but the threads in question also allowed some people to let off steam and some valid points to be raised.

Sometimes I like to think of IW as Ziroc's flowerbeds. He has a small bunch of dedicated gardeners who occasionally have to undertake some fairly drastic pruning or pull out some weeds so the health of the rest of the plants can be maintained.

Or something like that [img]graemlins/1daisy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 11-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #38
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Have you all forgotten Phil Mcavity? All he did was ask people if he could "Drill" them "on this?" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #39
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Have you all forgotten Phil Mcavity? All he did was ask people if he could "Drill" them "on this?" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Maybe the drilling got a little obscene in the PM-regions? I don't remember him anyways. I do remember a girl who would quote people using the quote option and then alter the text so it would be absolutely obscene and stuff. It actually took a few days for her to get banned. It was a sad tale really...
And that's the thing with banns or even talking about banns: its depressing and unnecessary if everyone just remembers to be polite and rational at all times. And if you feel a surge of irrationality or anger or whatever coming up, step away from the PC! If you don't post, you can't rub the wrong way!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:20 PM   #40
Cerek the Barbaric

Well, Phil McCavity was a special case. His appearance was the result of a loophole in IW rules from long ago - a loophole that has since been closed. There are other "members" around as a result of this loophole, but none of them have took the direction Phil did.

Also, just think about his name...and the "drilling" should become self-explanatory - as should the reason it was no longer allowed.