Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

Freedom Fighters from Electronic Arts

The scenery
Diffrent today, Communism worked, soviet union is the biggest world power and the launch attack on the USA and overcome their army in few day, you play Chris, a plumber who gets drafted into the resistance force and start fighting back... which basicly means killing lot of commies and doing patriotic stuff like raising the american flag to finish a mission.

Now... just one question, as I was playing this, I couldn't help thinking, is this guy any diffrent than the "terrorists" fighting the US army in Iraq, aren't they just defending their country?

Anyone feel its a bit ironic that they put out this game when all we hear on the news is about the resistance in Iraq?

What is the diffrence between a terrorist and a Freedom Fighter...?

I guess nationality.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Nickzilla
Dungeon Master

You actually make a good point. The Iraqis are a lot more nasty about defending their country though.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

You're presupposing that the terrorists in Iraq are fighting for Iraqi freedom... they're not. If that were the case then all they'd need to do is wait a few months. The less they "fight for freedom" the quicker Iraq will get it, and they know it. They want to kill infidels and create chaos in Iraq so that a fundamentalist Islamic government can sieze power in a country that is historically secular in governance.

That game sounds pretty bad.

[ 05-14-2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 05-14-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

The scenery
Diffrent today, Communism worked, soviet union is the biggest world power and the launch attack on the USA and overcome their army in few day, you play Chris, a plumber who gets drafted into the resistance force and start fighting back... which basicly means killing lot of commies and doing patriotic stuff like raising the american flag to finish a mission.

Now... just one question, as I was playing this, I couldn't help thinking, is this guy any diffrent than the "terrorists" fighting the US army in Iraq, aren't they just defending their country?

Anyone feel its a bit ironic that they put out this game when all we hear on the news is about the resistance in Iraq?

I guess nationality.
One flys plane loads of innocent people into buildings or blows them selves up, cuts off heads of people. The other defends their own land, and doesn't kill their OWN people with bombs....

Big difference man...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-14-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
mad=dog

I honestly don't see any comparison between Al Queda and Iraqi resistance fighters. During WWII Danish freedom fighters happily executed Danish collaborators. That is the trade of the underground resistence.
Try to place yourself in Iraqis place. It's mid 1700s. English colonists are very discontent with the royal administration and demands freedom. Spain (who has a large interest sphere in the Americas) intervenes on the American seperatist side and helps them overthrow the English governor. Now the Spanish appoint a temporary Spanish administration and use revenue from Virginia tobacco plantations to pay Spanish entrepenuers rebuild the destroyed buildings and cities. Furthermore the Spanish reject Washington as leader of the Americans, because they don't like his military background. Instead they vigorously lobby for Franklin. After one year nothing has changed. Repeated Spanish attempts to disband the colonial army have led many leaders including Washington to go underground. Now do you consider Washington a patriot or a criminal in this scheme?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I played that game it is fun despite some truth to what you posted. I thought the same thing that hey what is the difference between this and Iraq? But i agree with some some of the other posts in that there is a difference in what is bein fought for. IMHO the fighters seemingly dont fight for true freedom but for some zealous extreme religous concepts.Live and let live one may say and that is a grand concept in itself. As for the Iraqi freedom fighters, is that the title you really want to give them? I guess i envision freedom as a honorable quest for honorable ideals but ive never had my hand forced into a situation of extreme such as defending my home.

[ 05-14-2004, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: faiden ]
Old 05-14-2004, 10:44 AM   #7
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

The scenery

I guess nationality.
One flys plane loads of innocent people into buildings or blows them selves up, cuts off heads of people. The other defends their own land, and doesn't kill their OWN people with bombs....

Big difference man...
[/QUOTE]Weren't the 9-11 guys from Saudi Arabia?
Anyway, this is a video game and that is real life, in the game some of the missions include blowing up gasstation in a middle of a city, of course they don't let you kill any american, you can't even shoot at them.
Who is to say innocents wouldn't get blown up in a gasstation explosion?
Why would american "Freedom fighters" not use the same "scare tactics", I mean the american army has no qualms about torturing prisoners and bombing the population of the country they promise "freedom".

And Thoran, in the game (which is bad, yes) The similarity is scary, there is even a soviet tv station set up that broadcasts propaganda of the invasion team.the american people are promised "All the benefits of living in a communistic regime" as long as they cooperate. To people who are brought up as muslims, capitalistic freedom might sound like communism sounds to americans.

And please I'm not implying that bombing innocent people is right, or that the Iraqi resistance are some sort of heros, I'm just baffled by the hypocrisy displayed in this game.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:49 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Hey, it's just a game, don't take this too seriously. I played it too, killed hundreds of Russians with my plumber, so what ?

Don't forget dude, it's just a friggin game.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #9
Nickzilla
Dungeon Master

No-ones disputing that. They're just talking about Amercian bias. Lets not forget that EA are an Amercian studio so the scales leaning towards Amercia isn't unusual.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:37 AM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

Jorath things like tv stations are superficial similarities... but by drawing a connection you're alluding to there being deeper similarities... like motivations and intent. I don't believe what the terrorists in Iraq are doing is consistant with a force fighting for freedom from oppressors. Their motivations aren't for the welfare of Iraqi's... quite the contrary I think. Iraq is their pawn in a global game (not unlike what they are to some in the US). However, I believe it's telling that the supposed oppressors (the US) in this conflict at least TRY to minimize civillian casualties... where the "freedom fighter" (terrorists) seem perfectly willing to blow up as many Iraqi's as necessary to further their aims.