Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #1
MagiK

Errrr I ment West Wing. For those who don't know, Left...I mean West Wing is a once popular television show here in the US.

Due to recent political climates and bad scripting the viewer ratings for this show have been plummeting. There are talks of canceling the show, which is what normally happens when a shows ratings start to slip.

The ratings drops may or may not have anything to do with the shows more recent commentary on the current real world US government, be that as it may, the screen actors guild SAG is now howling that the shows possible cancelation is due to McCarthyism and that the actors are having their right to work violated.
I think it is despicable for SAG to blame ratings (or lack there of) on the US Government. the US viewing public is at best a fickle beast...if you make your show too controvetial, you loose the viewers.....guess I am just on a [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well,it just sounds like excuses from the SAG to me [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

It's because they let Rob Lowe leave. The number of female viewers plummeted, if the women I know are an indication.

Recent scripting is pretty well stepping to the "party line" on military issues. The fictional nation is embroiled in an imbroglio in an African nation that it undertook for one reason - to prevent genocide. In fact, it contained the line last episode that "every 'civil war' in Africa is just a buzzword excuse for genocide."

It still hangs far left with ideas such as: the US must increase foreign aid dollars, you could impose a 1% tax increase on incomes over $10million and use the $$$$ to fund a change in the tax code making college tuition 100% deductible (I really like that one), etc.

But, on the war bit, the West Wing is going to war already.

And while we're dubbing it "Left" Wing, which it usually is, I'll note that it's pretty difficult to expect Hollywood to crank out too much right wing stuff - the "artists" are always the largest "liberal" group in any society. Republican actors are a rarity, and even where they do exist they're pretty liberal for a conservative.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
MagiK

To be honest, I have never watched even one episode all the way through Colleen on the other hand has the whole season stored on her TIVO [img]smile.gif[/img] She too is a bit peeved that Rob left.

West or left I use the title just to tweak some friends [img]smile.gif[/img]

You are right about the artists typicly being of a liberal bent. Probably a left/right brain thing

Old 03-05-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=31313

and

http://www.nbc4.tv/sh/entertainment/...04-060311.html

It doenst bother me one bit if the show dies. Like MagiK I never watched one episode of it.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 03-05-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Errrr I ment West Wing. For those who don't know, Left...I mean West Wing is a once popular television show here in the US.

Due to recent political climates and bad scripting the viewer ratings for this show have been plummeting. There are talks of canceling the show, which is what normally happens when a shows ratings start to slip.

The ratings drops may or may not have anything to do with the shows more recent commentary on the current real world US government, be that as it may, the screen actors guild SAG is now howling that the shows possible cancelation is due to McCarthyism and that the actors are having their right to work violated.
I think it is despicable for SAG to blame ratings (or lack there of) on the US Government. the US viewing public is at best a fickle beast...if you make your show too controvetial, you loose the viewers.....guess I am just on a [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
Remember, Hollywood is as Liberal as the Media--maybe even more so.

I did like West Wing when it first started, but this season and last has really gone down hill. oh well...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 03-05-2003, 05:09 PM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

I did like West Wing when it first started, but this season and last has really gone down hill. oh well...
Same same, though I did not even watch the first series that much.

But I genuinely thought it was a typically right wing gung ho American scripting.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 03-05-2003, 05:11 PM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I have never seen the show, and I agree with MagiK (c'mon, it happens at least once or twice a month ) that it it ain't rating then the show goes to the scrap heap.

One thing I did listen too yesterday though was a program on the ABC radio (our national broadcaster), and it was discussing (and building a case for) what it percieved to be an increasing trend back towards McCarthyism in the US. Made me think about some of the stuff on those website links that were discussed on an earlier thread about actors and their views and all the "Un-American" claims that were in both the thread and the website links.

We joke about McCarthyism being historical and behind us now, but the radio program left me wondering if the "bad ole days" aren't in for somewhat of a comeback.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:21 PM   #9
MagiK

Just out of curiosity, and completely [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] Was Joe McCarthy wrong? Granted he was a D*ck about it, and went completely overboard, but in light of what was revealed decades later...was he wrong?

Old 03-05-2003, 06:22 PM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

never really like that series, too much talking.