Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 01:17 AM   #1
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I recently decided that soloing through the regular game was to easy. Not to mention that I wanted a full party, but I didnt want to get the same old lame equipment that I got in non-HoF now that I was used to the good stuff from my HoF game. So I decided to see if it was possbile to start a fresh party in HoF. Well its VERY possbile and its lots of fun. My part is as follows:

All Female "Girl Power Summoning Team"
[as you can see I dont mind min/maxing]

1 Aasimar Sorceress 10str/10dex/18con/16int/6wis/cha20
1 Teifling Rogue 10/20/18/20/9/1 (Ugly? Mayhaps she is... mayhaps she isnt!)
1 Human Fighter/Cleric Illmater 18/16/18/3/18/3
1 Human Fighter/Cleric Mask 18/16/18/3/18/3
2 Human Fighter/Druid 18/16/18/3/18/3

There is little reason besides RP that a human fighter/druid or fighter/cleric should have an INT or CHA higher than 3, unless your big into animal empathy or undead turing and I personaly never found them that useful. And as a Human even with 3 INT they still get 2 skill points/level up and thats just enough for Concentration and Spellcraft.

Each of the Druids and Clerics will have 4 Levels of Fighter to open up Weapon Specialization, pick up some fighter feats, and hit points then they will be all spellcasting. My Sorceress will eventualy have 1 level of paladin to pick up the MASSIVE Charisma based saving throw bonus. And the Rogue will eventualy be made into a wizard after 10 levels of Rogue.

Ive just started the game but they are doing pretty good so far. 5 of them can summon monster/natures ally at once. so its just a matter of knowing where the enemy is. I have played through the prelude so many times that I know where each goblin is by heart so that isnt a problem. Just get to the edge of where the goblinz are then I summon five creatures and move everyone towards the enemy. They see the summons first so they attack them first. Then its just a matter of replenishing the summons as they dissapate or get killed.

All my characters have dash, and I would reccomend this to anyone planning on starting a new game in HoF. It gives you a good speed advantage so you can run into buildings, cast a summon, then run away and hope they attack the summon and give you a chance to cast more summons. I usualy just send my Sorc in first since she casts fastest, once she has them busy with a few summons I bring the whole gang in and let them take turns summoning.

At about level 5 for everyone but my level 1 rouge the goblins are still worth 3600 exp a peice. I am wondering when thats going to go down. Hopefully not for awhile! [img]smile.gif[/img]

And for all of you who hate summons this is the dreaded party I was threatening to make. [img]smile.gif[/img] After Targos EVERYONE in the party should be able to summon something. With six summoners I can double my numbers within a casting time of 6. [img]smile.gif[/img]

FYI: I am playing with the game PATCHED! I am not using Improved Inivis OR Cheezy pre-patch Animate Dead. HOWEVER until they come out with a patch that removes summoning I dont want to hear that what I am doing is "Unfair" or "Cheap" or "Unrealistic" because these are all ways I describe the difficulty of HoF... AND I think that starting with a level 1 party should earn me a LITTLE breathing room as to how I dispatch my enemies.

Sidenote cheez: Cast Firesheild Red AND Blue on your caster then have him/her cast otilukes RS on themselves. At high levels the enemy should take 60+ damage while you take 0 and expend no effort! This works in the patched edition and it great for soloing sorcerers/soceresses.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:29 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Nice going, Jack. Sounds like your merry band of Amazons is doing well. I'm a little surprised, though, that you're stil getting 3600 per from the gobbies. When my teams hit level 4, that dropped to 3200. If everyone but the rogue is level 5, then your party averages level 4. Hmmmm...

But anyway, sounds like you have the routine pretty well set. Go to it!

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:01 AM   #3
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Ya, I dont understand the EXP thing either... it may be because they are all spell casters or possibly the fact that I dont get "melee" kill since I do all my killin with sumons. As for the Amazons... the stats say 3 Charisma, but the pics sure dont!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:20 PM   #4
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Just an update on where this is going. I cleared out the warehouse with just my sorceress using summon monster 1,2, and 3 and charm. Shes level 8 my rogue is still level 1 my clerics/fighters and Druid/Fighters are still level 5(4fighter/1spellcaster) Im now getting only 3200exp per goblin. Ahhhh [img]smile.gif[/img] And money is still going to be tight BUT its getting better quick. If you do the Weeping Widow Inn quest in HoF and then have the dagger made its worth A LOT of gold. My sorceress does the talking for the group. She has 22 Charisma and the Mercantile Background feat. So the dagger is worth 17,600gp. I then remembered or good friend Phean... so my sorceress paid him a visit and killed him with summons, for a ridiculous 9600exp grabbed his robe and got out. (Got charmed too and almost killed by Gobbies) I took the robe to Deirdre and its worth 55,000gp!!! I forgot how insane the prices were is HoF mode; that goes both ways. So with a little luck I now have enough cash for the "Goblin Slayer Dagger" and that should make the pallisade battle easy enough. It also should allow me to level squat ALL the way through the battle. That should be 35+ Gobbies at 3200exp a peice. Should be a little over 18000exp per character.
Now if only there was an ORC slaying dagger.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:48 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, those good prices are nice. I'll have to remember that about the dagger whenever I get to another HOF game.

I'm surprised your sorceress lasted long enough to get summons off, going into that warehouse alone. How did you manage it? Invis?

Nightowl2
Old 11-10-2002, 08:26 PM   #6
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Invis??? ME??? hehehe ACTUALY didnt get by with JUST invis. She went in once and cast the 1st level spell Charm on one of the gobbies(AND IT WORKED BY GOD!), then she went outside cast invis on herself then went back in. HE is STILL charmed for some reason. So she goes to a corner and when ALL the goblinz are attacking this poor guy she summons creatures BEHIND them and let them start wacking away. Rest and Repeat... ALWAYS repeat. My sorceress went up 5 levels in the warehouse and caverns beneath alone. [img]smile.gif[/img] I will admit that the charm spell does not ALWAYS work and by not always I mean it works about 25% of the time. So a couple reloads were involved. But other than that it went smoothly. [img]smile.gif[/img] Phhhhewwwwww!
Old 11-10-2002, 10:35 PM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

You do have a knack for this sneaky stuff, Jack. You must have been a rogue in a previous incarnation. Personally, I don't think I'd chance sending in a weak character like a sorc, all alone, and hoping a 25% spell will work before she becomes a pincushion. You were lucky there, for sure.

The caves aren't so bad once you get past the initial guards. It's simple to send one person out, lure the gobbies to the party, and have a few summoned critters waiting.

Nightowl2
Old 11-10-2002, 11:08 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack of Speed:
Now if only there was an ORC slaying dagger.
You could always make one, or have someone (like me) make one for you. Given the high number of orcs in the game, that would be a really powerful and useful weapon.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:02 AM   #9
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

See! [img]tongue.gif[/img] (LUVIAN! THIS IS FOR YOU MAN!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I, Jack of Speed do swear that I would never use such a weapon if it were made.

(unless it was made by the good people at BI and was included as a LEGIT part of the game in a later patch or upcoming sequal)

[img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the offer but I am trying to see how far I can get in HoF without any OUTSIDE help... I didnt even import stuff to sell for money. Just a "From-Scratch" Level 1 party and the toothpicks they were apparently born with.

Also here is where you RPr's get around the rules by saying "Ohgma obviously wanted my cleric to have this dagger to slay orcs... I guess it would be o.k. to import it." heheheh J/K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dont everyone kill me at once.

NightOwl2: What makes you think I am not a rogue in THIS incarnation?
Old 11-11-2002, 12:26 AM   #10
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

AAAAHHHHHH
Someone else here who properly appreciates the power of monster summoning.
Especially in HOF where your summoned critters get the HP and defensive attributes proportional to your oppponents

As for monster exp,
for goblins it goes down in an exponential fashion for HOF mode
3600, 3200, 2700, 2100, 1800, 1500 and so on. I wrote down the exact values, but i dont have them with me.

Additionally after sifting through the data files with my trusty near infinity ive found the file that determine exp/ party level. Most interesting.
And easily modifiable so you get at least some exp for killing low level monsters. Fun Fun Fun

Bit of a shame the game is capped at 30th level though. Not good for dual triple or quad class characters, especially in HOF. Might have to do a mod for that [img]smile.gif[/img]