Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2002, 01:09 PM   #1
Finn an Ruadh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay, I admit that I am very new to PC RPGs, and horribly ignorant of slang, etc... I've read several posts and they are sure to be helpful. My question/problem is this: In the Vale of Shadows I am at the locked doors in the Temple and cannot find a way in. Do I need to cast Dispel Magic and/or Knock? As the game is linear, I have to go through there. Also, how do I identify objects? I've tried to use the spell & follow the instructions on the QRC, but had no luck.
Thanks in advance! Blessed Beltaine!
Finn
Old 05-01-2002, 01:34 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

First: Welcome to the IronWorks Forum, Finn an Ruadh! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Second, unfortunately neither Dispel Magic nor Knock will work; you may pass through that door only with the proper key. Have you investigated all the smaller tombs in the Vale of Shadows? If so, then you should have 2 keys in your possession; one of these will allow the door to be unlocked.

Finally, we were all new to CRPGs at some point so don't feel alone. Also, slang is not necessary here--just be yourself. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

[ 05-01-2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:35 PM   #3
dragonslayer
Manshoon

Well, as for the locked door, I belive you have to find the key. Look through all the smaller dungeons outside the "main" area. Or it is the door where you need to find a trigger to press.

The identify spell is used by right clicking on the desired item, an item hued in blue on the main inventory screen, and the clicking identify on the menu that pops up

ooh, and welcome btw
Old 05-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #4
Finn an Ruadh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks to both of you! However, I have 3 keys and none will move from "Personal Item" for ANY character. The three are: priest, sanctum, & tomb (?). My thief can't pick it (60%), and nobody can force it. Argh! The Q: must be: How do I use the keys?
Thank you!

Finn
Old 05-01-2002, 04:25 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

hmmm.... That sounds like some sort of bug or glitch. What version of IWD/HOW do you have? Do you have the latest patch?

Normally, simply having the key in inventory allows a door to be opened; you don't actually have to "use" the key.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 04:31 PM   #6
Finn an Ruadh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks again! Where do I find patches? Has this been a bug/glitch before? I just began running a second party for export purposes. A bear to keep alive. Have a good day!

Finn
Old 05-01-2002, 04:33 PM   #7
Finn an Ruadh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Also, what about these badges I keep reading about? Thanks!

Finn
Old 05-01-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
Tanoch Thas'ala
Banned User

You don't necessarily use keys. The key will appear in your inventory..when you come to a door, no matter who's inventory the key is in, click on a character, then click on the door.. If you have the proper key, the door will open. If you do not have the right key, the door will remain locked. If yo uhave HOW installed you can use the ALT key to highlight things that can be opened such as dresser drawers, doors, chests, and even bodies lyiung on the ground. I would do as suggested and go back and search the sarcophogas (sp) to find the other/correct keys...
Tanoch Thas'ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 06:49 PM   #9
Finn an Ruadh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks much! I'll have to go through the Vale in correct order I guess. Have a great night!

Finn
Old 05-02-2002, 08:14 PM   #10
Finn an Ruadh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey guys!

Well, I tried taking a second group through in the "correct" order and it worked! Further, I exported/imported some characters from my 1st party and I kicked butt!
Thanks so much!!!

Finn