Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2001, 10:29 PM   #1
fitzgerald

I'm a big fan of all the BG/IWD stuff so far, so I am sorry to say it... but I think that HoW is pretty much not worth the money. I usually savor my CRPGs by playing a couple of hours a night for weeks. HoWever, this one was over after only four nights of playing (about 9-10 hours of playing time for me). Perhaps my party was a bit to powerful, though I can't see that simply having to rest a little more often would have made the game any better. I was just hoping for a little more fun for the money. Maybe my expectations were just a little too high given the excellence so far.

Opinions?

------------------
Cowards die a thousand deaths...heroes only one.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:30 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am starting off with new characters at levels 10-11. I am having a terrific time!! The quests are a bit harder than I can handle, so I end up having to reset many times. If you played all the way through IWD, and took on HofW about levels 9-13, I am sure you will have more fun. If your chars. are already "Godlike", then it would go more smoothly, but that is not why I spent my money...I like this difficulty...and if I decided that the game was too easy, I would go turn on the Heart of Fury mode, and get my arse kicked! The game can be adjusted to fit what you want out of it...

------------------

Larry of the Holy Flame
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 04:03 PM   #3
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

I'm terribly depressed that i spent $30 for a wishy-washy expansion that mirrirs BG1's Swords Coast expansion much more than it has anything to do with BG2 (like the manual brags). The only thing it has to do with BG2 is the drop away interface and some new spells. I was terribly disappointed that there were no class kits or new weapon proficiency slots. I was so looking forward to dual weapon style, but instead they left the profiencies the same.. and the ranger still gets that "2 1/2 attacks at first level with specialization" cheese. I haven't dove too deeply into the expansion yet as i am playing thru again with a new party so see what kinds of changes have been made to the original game (and to get some cool items to start the expansion with).
I do like that bards get a number of songs they can sing... tracking is cool... and the druid shape changes are neat too... but that's a pretty minor expansion to make us wait 9 months for.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 04:47 PM   #4
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

i just got back from http://redqueendesign.com and boy is this expansion riddled with bugs. lots of items are glitchy, the thief's "crippling attack" does NOT work correctly in that the crippled enemy's next successfull attack adds a +20 to damage?!? characters past level 20 are not leveling up correctly (saves are messed) TONS of bugs in this game; all ashured to be fixed in the "upcoming Patch". They'd better hurry that patch out, cuz when i actually BUY software, i expect it to work. if this is the kind of 'quality' we're going to see from Interplay, then i'll just have to start flying my Jolly Roger and pillage their warez (like that BG2 expansion they'll charge too much for and neglect to fix the bugs).... grrrrrrrr
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 05:08 PM   #5
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

For IWD, despite of the "short" game play, I am willing to overlook that from the other things the game has offered (the new areas are pretty cool, good voice/music, portraits once again are well done), I also like the new spells ... but it is definitely a bit short for what you get, oh well, life isn't perfect.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote