Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-1999, 05:02 PM   #1
Glowingdome

I can't seem to get my thief to backstab. Or maybe they are doing it and I just don't know. I thought your thief had to hide in shadows in order to backstab. When I do that (hide) successfully then go to have them attack from behind I get the "Leaving shadows" maessge. The same things happens when I click the "Thieving" (PP,FT, etc.) button. I can't find much in the manual about this. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks
Old 12-10-1999, 08:30 PM   #2
Julianna

I don't think you can hide in the shadows while doing anything other than walking. If you try to pick up something, unlock doors, back stab, or perform any other activity, you leave the shadows. To back stab, I believe you hide in the shadows until you get behind the target then use the dagger for the attack. I haven't really tried to do that much. I tend to prefer bows and slings so I can attack from a distance. Hope this info helps.

Julianna
Old 12-11-1999, 04:47 PM   #3
Glowingdome

Thanks. I guess I've been doing it right all along. I just expected a curser change like you see for picking locks, etc. I agree about ranged weapons. My thief is one of if not the best archer in the group so she does very little backstabbing.
Old 12-19-1999, 02:40 PM   #4
_Jim_

I too have had some difficulty in this area. As I understand it, IF your thief is currently successfully "stealthed", then his/her next attack is automatically a backstab attempt. I don't think there's any noticeable change in the character's information onscreen, and the attack (whether or not successful) causes the thief to leave stealth mode. I tried it a couple times, and then pretty much gave up on it.
Old 12-23-1999, 09:04 PM   #5
SilverHawk

I've played a Thief and yes, while hiding in the shadows, your next attack is a backstab. Look at the amount of damage your characters does on the first hit it will be considerabliy more then any other hit. At least that is how I remember my theif being. You don't see a different curser or anything stating you did a backstab. Hope this helps.

If anyone has anything of interest on playing a Ranger I would enjoy discussing using the Ranger skills. Such as charm animals and the best way to use this skill. Like what to charm ect..bears, mosters and such.