Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2001, 09:18 AM   #31
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The movie was great. The best family flick in years. I was thinking 2hours and 22 minutes of torture but was pleasantly surprised to find it was one of those movies where time flies
Old 11-26-2001, 09:47 AM   #32
Har'oloth
Manshoon

sometimes i get mad about harry protter! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

i don't hope he will take the glamour away from the next coming movie the lord of the rings and if he does i will

[img]graemlins/magic.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/shooter04.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2001, 10:32 AM   #33
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
i must admit though, i much preferred ron to harry!

I also thought Ron was great! The name alone implies genius

I thought Hermione was a cutie!
Old 11-26-2001, 10:56 AM   #34
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Can anyone explain to me why it had to be called Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone in the USA, and the Philosopher's Stone everywhere else?

When the book was first published in the US some bright marketing spark thought that 'Sorcerer's Stone' had more to do with magic than 'Philosopher's Stone', so he changed it. He was obviously unaware of the importance of the Philosophers stone in mysicism and alchemy. The stone was combined with base metal to form silver or gold.

Of course some say the title was changed because American's wouldn't know what a philosopher is, but that would be 'American bashing' and I would certainly want no part of that!

Two versions of the film were made for where the stone is mentioned, and the word is changed from philosopher to magician whenever necessary.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-26-2001, 03:20 PM   #35
Sorcerer Alex

quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

Hey, don't knock a good thing! If it gets kids into reading books, that's a GREAT thing! Yeah, it's been commercialized to death, but atleast it's a positive type story, and has a positive tale to tell. [img]smile.gif[/img] I bought book 1, and am enjoying it immensely!

Making a Harry Potter bashing thread was not my intention. I'm just sick of seeing his bespectacled countenance plastered on every single bus stop I pass.

I obviously can't pass judgement on a book I haven't read or a film I haven't seen, I just find it a bit pathetic that they have to hype it to the moon and back, even though that seems inherent to everything popular these days.

Old 11-26-2001, 06:44 PM   #36
Lavindathar
Harper

It made me laugh, when Ron said to the teacher just after she turned from a cat to a human:

"bloody hell, that was brilliant"

I laughed at that.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:00 PM   #37
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Heard on the news today, HP's writer is now the wealthiest writer in the world!
Old 11-26-2001, 07:02 PM   #38
Lavindathar
Harper

In the world????

I knew she was the wealthiest in Britain, but surely not the world.

What about Tolkien, Grisham, King???

Old 11-26-2001, 07:14 PM   #39
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:

Yeah, the hype is over the top. Our local stores are full of Harry Potter stuff - most of it overpriced rubbish. It's sad, because this takes something away from a series of damm fine books.

Call it a by-product of modern living. Everything has to be hyped to the nth degree. Sporting events that nobody cared about a few years ago suddenly became must see classics. Every detail about major news stories must include every last scrap of detail that you never needed to know. *sighs* Did we ask for the hype? I don't know what is worse, the media that promotes it, or the sheep that "baa" their way to the cash registers with shopping carts a' brim full of crap.

What really makes me mad is the merchandising released for Lord of the Rings. Games. Figures. Books. Is there anyone whose life is going to be enriched by buying a plastic model of an orcs helmet? BAH !!

( getting off soapbox now ) Pangur.

Speaking of books (slightly OT here) - I remember reading a little series about a little cat called ...Pangur Ban - many years ago...
Old 11-26-2001, 07:39 PM   #40
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Heard on the news today, HP's writer is now the wealthiest writer in the world!

Must... beat... Rowling...