Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2001, 04:10 AM   #21
GokuZool
Lord Ao

When the first book was released wasn't it aimed at the older market?
Coz when some of my relatives came for a holiday from England they brought with them a book called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone." On the front cover it had a picture of a train coming towards u in black and white. I started to read it and found it really good. My point is that i think now that it has become more famous JK Rowling (author) has aimed her stories at the "younger market." I suppose there is nothing wrong with this..but in a few weeks Mc.Donalds or KFC etc. will probably make little plastic figurines of Harry and his friends [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2001, 04:19 AM   #22
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I only want the books and the movies, screw the merchandise.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:36 AM   #23
Lavindathar
Harper

I think that it was aimed at kids, as it won the smarties kids award....
Old 11-25-2001, 06:26 AM   #24
cloud88
Manshoon

well if you think it`s to much whit all these cards and stuff from harry potter then look at pokemon good damn im sick of pokemon everywhere i go
Some little angel tries to tell me that it\'s over,<br />It\'s just a bad reflection from above.<br />The load upon my shoulder makes me stronger, even bolder,<br />Oh no no, I haven\'t had enough.<br />-Heaven can wait, another fine reason to live.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:29 AM   #25
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Is it just me, or is everyone else sick of the hype that is Harry Potter? Every which way I turn my head, every advertisement I see, every tv commcercial my eyes happen to fall on.... Harry Potter.

I read recently that the woman who wrote the books about him is now the second richest woman in England. Given this, I might start taking up story writing myself. But with less advertisements, obviously

Hey, don't knock a good thing! If it gets kids into reading books, that's a GREAT thing! Yeah, it's been commercialized to death, but atleast it's a positive type story, and has a positive tale to tell. [img]smile.gif[/img] I bought book 1, and am enjoying it immensely!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 11-25-2001, 10:34 AM   #26
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
but in a few weeks Mc.Donalds or KFC etc. will probably make little plastic figurines of Harry and his friends [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

well, I don't know about KFC (yuck!) or Mickey D's, but I am so sick of HP products in every store I see!!!!!!!! And it's all plastic crap, anyhow.

BTW, anybody seen the 'goblets' they have at Burger King for LoTR? Geesh! I mean, really!

And 'philosopher' vs. 'sorceror' is a cultural difference. If you put philosopher on an American title, they think Socrates (*if* they think anything at all), not magic! 'Philosopher's stone' has little meaning for the average Joe (unless he/she reads quite a bit). ::shrugs::

Heck, most don't even know what a sorceror is if it's not Micky Mouse's boss in Fantasia!
Old 11-25-2001, 03:44 PM   #27
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Hey, that woman went from being the poorest to the richest woman in England. If anyone deserves it, its her. I mean, she wrote the books in a bar.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:50 PM   #28
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Hey, that woman went from being the poorest to the richest woman in England. If anyone deserves it, its her. I mean, she wrote the books in a bar.

Good Point, She Does Write Very Good Books!
Old 11-25-2001, 07:51 PM   #29
tracey
Manshoon

i went to see the film last week - it was wonderful, completely full of magic and all kinds of lovliness. i must admit though, i much preferred ron to harry! ooops.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:11 AM   #30
Pangur Ban

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Is it just me, or is everyone else sick of the hype that is Harry Potter? Every which way I turn my head, every advertisement I see, every tv commcercial my eyes happen to fall on.... Harry Potter.

I read recently that the woman who wrote the books about him is now the second richest woman in England. Given this, I might start taking up story writing myself. But with less advertisements, obviously

Yeah, the hype is over the top. Our local stores are full of Harry Potter stuff - most of it overpriced rubbish. It's sad, because this takes something away from a series of damm fine books.

Call it a by-product of modern living. Everything has to be hyped to the nth degree. Sporting events that nobody cared about a few years ago suddenly became must see classics. Every detail about major news stories must include every last scrap of detail that you never needed to know. *sighs* Did we ask for the hype? I don't know what is worse, the media that promotes it, or the sheep that "baa" their way to the cash registers with shopping carts a' brim full of crap.

What really makes me mad is the merchandising released for Lord of the Rings. Games. Figures. Books. Is there anyone whose life is going to be enriched by buying a plastic model of an orcs helmet? BAH !!

( getting off soapbox now ) Pangur.