Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 07:22 AM   #11
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Apparantly, you hammer golems with +4 weapons, but I've not tried yet, Metal Elf has.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 08:22 AM   #12
Bhaalzamon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For battle square I bought the mace (somthin somthin torch) from Nym in wanderin village Ive got tha and dredging claw for my Barb, one set of buffs later and hes hot to rock, the mace dont always hit but its got 2d6 fire and 10% chance of extra D10 and for stuuf immune to fire theres dredgin claw (Im only up to rank 4) but now Ive got the halberd of disruption too to make life easier
Bhaalzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:11 PM   #13
bucmeister
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, I've unpickled myself.

First a few notes:

The disintegrate spell did not work in my attempts at using it against the Golems. I only tried it twice. Can anyone verify that it works against Golems?

The Golems put out poison clouds not acid clouds, so you just have to take that damage. Call it collateral damage. Acid Resistance spells do not work.

The druid is a perfect Iron Golem smasher. He is impervious to poison and has a spell called Star Metal Cudgeon that is treated as a +4 weapon, and does an additional 2d6 damage against constructs.

Static charge does not damage Iron Golems.

Here is how I unpickled myself. First I only defeated the 6th rank of Battlesquare. I got the club of disruption which is +4. I needed this to give my party two bludgeoning weapons over +3 to fight the Golems. I have a mace +3, club of disruption +4, and my Druid used the Star Metal Cudgeon spell.

I buffed and hasted all my party members, but particularly my three who are going to be doing the hand-to-hand. Ranger, Dwarf, and Druid. My party ran past the Golems waiting on me by the stairs. I took minimal damage. My wizard posted up on the raised altar, my Paladin and Thief blocked the on-ramp. The Golems all chased my Wizard. I cast two Otilukes Resilient Sphere spells on my Paladin and Thief who are blocking the entrance to the altar. Now my wizard is safe. As are my Paladin and Thief.

My Dwarf, Ranger, and Druid begin to pick off the Iron Golems one by one. They go pretty quickly. My wizard assisted with a few Invisible Stalkers and Undead, but they weren't really needed. The best part is the idiot Iron Golems just stood there looking at the Wizard on the altar as my guys pounded them from behind. Too easy.

They are tough, but not smart at all.

I'm back on my way.

Thanks to all.
bucmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:38 PM   #14
Lord Corwin
The Magister

Been a bit sence I played that... but I saw one person saying something about that fire/torch/club you can get... and another mention trying to use Static charge,agains the iron golems.
If I remember right... either one or the other.. or bolth actually heal Iron golems.
I didn`t have alot of trouble with this part. My thief did alot of back stabbing.. and my two tanks did the rest... with a fair amount of undead thrown in,and my cleric going crazy keeping everyone alive.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:07 PM   #15
Hesperex

there are a few battles in this game that I found that I had to exploit enemies weaknesses to the max to win, or use devious tactics that exploit their stupidity and I have a very tough fighting party with a human paladin, dwarven fighter and an elven ranger on the front lines, it is nice to have to think your way around the some battles and play with tactics rather than just buy a bigger axe and hit em harder like the IWD.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:02 PM   #16
bucmeister
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Hesperex:
there are a few battles in this game that I found that I had to exploit enemies weaknesses to the max to win, or use devious tactics that exploit their stupidity and I have a very tough fighting party with a human paladin, dwarven fighter and an elven ranger on the front lines, it is nice to have to think your way around the some battles and play with tactics rather than just buy a bigger axe and hit em harder like the IWD.
That is the strength of this game in my opinion. It is more of a tactical game than anything else. Let's face it, the roleplaying is limited and is pretty much irrelevant. The game is going to go in only one direction. You can't really choose to shoot off in any other direction. Your only real choice is the order in which you choose to do things on specific levels, but still you will only advance after completing the tasks they set for you.

The combat itself is rather boring, but when you factor in the strategy and tactics it takes to win some of the battles it becomes entertaining. I haven't finished yet, but I'm almost done. It's been enjoyable, but sometimes tedious.

I would have liked them to work the strategy angle further, maybe have your characters take charge of an entire army to face another army on a huge battlefield. Spells, archers, siege engines, catapults, infantry, cavalry. It would be a blast.
bucmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:29 PM   #17
RoryD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It would also be a stratagy game, not an RPG.
RoryD is offline   Reply With Quote