Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 08:39 AM   #1
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

In chapter 3, dwarf leader Baruk Barzam want me to kill all Black Raven monks. I agreed and upon reaching the black raven place, I was suprise that the black raven monks are not hostile to me. They even want me to do quest for them.

here's the problem, I don't like to attack unhostile people. however doing so will forfeit my reward from Baruk Barzam.

So which is better? kill all the monks and get my reward from Baruk or spare the monks and do their quest instead?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
Madrigal Five
Dungeon Master

The Monks won't be hostile to you unless you actually tell them you're there to kill the lot of them (via a dialogue option when you first speak to whatzisnmae (Sarisam?)).

I don't recommend attacking them.
Madrigal Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:55 AM   #3
homer
Manshoon

I think that this would depend on your alignment. The Grey Dwarf are an evil race, whereas the monks are more on the neutral side.

The Reward for slaying all the monks is a few magical items. I believe, experience wise, that doing the monks quests are more worth it.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:03 AM   #4
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well you can do both - I did this with an evil party I played once. They took the quest to kill the Monks. Then played nice with the Monks, did all their quests, got the passage to the underdark opened the nice way. Then they turned on them and killed them all. They went back to the dwarves, took their rewards, and then turned on them too and killed them all
Old 11-13-2002, 09:09 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

interesting, looks like sparing the monks first and then kill them later will yield more experince.

but then again I got a paladin who is lawful good. if paladin change alignment he'll never ever level up ( I think ). emmm....more dilemma here.

[ 11-13-2002, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:48 AM   #6
Cerberus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I didn't think there was a 'Reputation' rating in IWDII, or IWD either for that matter, so you can't cause your Paladin to 'Fall'.

Did I miss something?

- Cerberus
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:54 AM   #7
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Kill'em all, let Helm sort'em out!
Old 11-13-2002, 12:36 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, if you're doing actual role-playing in your game, then don't kill the monks. That's an evil act (the monks are themselves Lawful Neutral). I've never done it myself (I run good parties exclusively). Breaking your promise to the Duergar is no big deal. They're gonna doublecross you later anyway.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 04:16 PM   #9
Lord Corwin
The Magister

Cerberus

I don`t know for sure about IWD2 because I haven`t purposely killed any good people.

But I know the Reputation rating was VERY much in effect in IWD1. Just to see what would happen,I made a save point.Then I killed the Clerics at the Temple in Kuldahar. Got some nice items,but bolth my Paladin and my Ranger "Fell".
The items weren`t worth the Fallen status,so I went back to my save point.

I would assume the same would happen in IWD2... but havn`t tried it.
Not worth fighting off an entire town,just to see what killing a good person will give you Item wise.

And I wiped out the Duergar`s little gray butts before I went to the Monostary anyway.... so I played nice with the Monks.

[ 11-13-2002, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Lord Corwin ]
Old 11-13-2002, 05:29 PM   #10
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well I can say from earlier today that the game does have some sort of reputation system. My new party was fighting the goblin raid encounter at the targos palisade. My rogue tossed a fire bomb into a group of goblins, and it accidentially also damaged Niles. Niles and Olap both went hostile on me, had to kill them both. Then when the battle was over, I went to talk to Shawford and he was hostile as well - although when I killed him, the games ends because he's central to the plot. Luckily I had saved before then.

But I don't think anything you do can change your alignment in IWD II.