Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Which items, stats, skills, character, etc. would you need to combine to attain the highest possible resistances, AC, and so on? Best tank, essentially. If there's a thread on this, I can't find it.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

Interesting idea, Pyrenk. I've seen lots of threads on "best weapon" or "most damage" but not one like this.

Obvious things: High dex, High con.

Fighter-types probably have the most options as far as heavy armors, etc.

However, don't forget about CLERICS. If you followed the thread by Rataxes on Thomas the solo cleric, the possibility for protection spells, heavy armor, etc made him a pretty resilient tank. If you are soloing, think about a single or multiclass/dual-class cleric for this reason. If you're in a party with a cleric it doesn't really matter since you can just have someone else casting the protection spells.

Druids have ironskins as well as protection spells. Jaheira becomes a pretty decent tank as the game progresses.

One doesn't usually think of a mage as a tank, but if you're talking strictly about resistences, a high level mage with appropriate protections is darn-near impossible to hit.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Hm. I remember a thread on Barbarians...with their natural defense, the DoE, Roranch's Horn, Hardiness, the Belt of Inertial Barrier, Crom Faer, the (upgraded) reward for one of the Hell Trials, and possibly something else, they had 100%+ resistance for all damage types except elemental, and rings could aid in that. I was looking for something more interesting to play, though. Bashing everything with a club isn't all that fun, even if you're immortal ^_^

Thanks for the input. My theory is, if the enemy can't do damage, but has a large amount of HP, it doesn't matter. I could eat dinner, and by the time I'm done, my 1 pt of damage per hit could add up to 500 total ^.^
Old 03-27-2004, 10:13 PM   #4
untouchable
Manshoon

Try searching the TOB forum. A while ago Dundee posted the equipment that a Wizard Slayer/Thief would have to wear in order to become 100% or better resistant to most physical damage AND magical damage.
Off Topic: If you want an interesting gamming experience (and are very patient) try a no reloads game.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

I've tried a no-reloads Insane Tactics Ascension etc. game before. Solo. Needless to say, I died, but it was fun. I think I died to the Mind Flayers in the Underdark, actually.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #6
untouchable
Manshoon

That's tought luck.
Found the thread, beware item and reward spoilers for SOA and TOB.
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c;f=5;t=002725
Another thought is you could dl BG1Tutu if you have the orriginal saga or BG1. It's fun to start a new lvl 1 character.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Eh, I was looking for a fighter/mage type *shrug*
Old 03-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yes F/M is very powerful. PfMW,PfMA,Stoneskin...

Another strong character is a R/C.

How?
  • Stoneskin
  • Death Ward
  • Chaotic Commands
  • Blade Barrier
  • Armor of Faith
  • Righteous Magic

Defender of Eastheaven+Hardiness+Armor of Faith=85% Physical Resistance. Now add Regeneration on top of that.

Tell me if you can hit the guy. You can`t. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-28-2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

But I like swooooords >.<

Xen, that's only 85% Physical. What about magic, elements, etc? ^_^
Old 03-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #10
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
The R/C could also cast Protection from Fire, Resist Fire/Cold, Protection from Lightning, and Magic Resistance. Add that to the Shadow Dragon Scale and there you go.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote