Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Default Re: A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
100% agree.
Remember when the read "The War of the Worlds" over the radio? People jumped off of buildings because they thought there were aliens.

Whats to say people arent going to start jumping off buildings because they're afraid to die a horrible death from a foreign disease?

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
SecretMaster
Apophis

Default Re: A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowArchmage View Post
Remember when the read "The War of the Worlds" over the radio? People jumped off of buildings because they thought there were aliens.

Whats to say people arent going to start jumping off buildings because they're afraid to die a horrible death from a foreign disease?
I've never heard of people jumping off of buildings in response to War of the Worlds. But even if it is true, I doubt that people are going to start killing themselves over the media hyperbolizing swine flu. Certainly the actions of the media are irresponsible, but I don't think anyone is contemplating suicide because of it.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Semi-related

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8406723.stm

Swine Flu, in Britain has a death rate of 1/10th of 1/4 of a %, or 0.026, The scare, is much ado about nothing.

Still no coverage of the Ukrainian Plague though
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

Arrow Re: A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgeruat View Post
much ado about nothing.
Basically my response as well. Practically anyone dying of the disease in my country is already (chronically) ill to begin with, and swine flu simply pushes them over the edge. The death toll (even at only 0.026%) looks worse than it even is.
Papa Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

And what the media doesn't bother to inform is that 40,000 people die each year of the 'normal' flu. So this H1N1 isn't some sinister killer like Ebola or something... You'd think Smallpox broke out... now THAT would suck a bit....

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
And what the media doesn't bother to inform is that 40,000 people die each year of the 'normal' flu. So this H1N1 isn't some sinister killer like Ebola or something... You'd think Smallpox broke out... now THAT would suck a bit....
Yep. Been saying it all along. Propertionally, the swine flu is very tame.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I didn't bother with a flu shot.. (never got one, and never got the flu either!) But for those with secondary health issues, it may be a good idea. Especially lung issues.

My Wife's distant family member died of H1N1. 1 of 5 in our County. I was shocked it hit that close to home. But she had Kidney issues, and the H1N1 took advantage of that...

If I had the money, I'd buy a really good microscope. Hell, just to do swabs and check samples of everyday stuff.. its so interesting to learn about fungus, bacteria... mold on bread. remember that in school? was so cool to study.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote